Aug 06, 2010, 11:48 PM
Are the props on this bird counter rotating? Actually what I mean to ask is how do you set that up on this plane with what is available? Do you just flip the prop around? Anyone that has done it have tips?
Last edited by Ebonari; Aug 06, 2010 at 11:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2010, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonari
Are the props on this bird counter rotating? Actually what I mean to ask is how do you set that up on this plane with what is available? Do you just flip the prop around? Anyone that has done it have tips?
You need to have counter rotating props which are available from GWS. many vendors carry them. To get the motor to spin backwards just switch two of the leads from the motor to the ESC until you get the desired result.

Not sure if this model comes as counter rotating but I doubt it. Really not necessary on a model this size.

Regards,
Alan
Aug 07, 2010, 01:06 AM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
This model does not come with CR props. Other than the scale factor, you really don't need them. I didn't notice any torque issues with it.
Aug 07, 2010, 06:10 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonari
I am going to back up what Guised and Todd have already told you buy mentioning that the plane comes with down and right thrust. The motors spin the same way so the down and right thrust lines on the motors off set the torque. Further more the cowls are molded to this angle so if you did put counter rotating on it you would probably be in for a world of hurt. In order to do counter rotating you would need to make your own motor mount and find a way to get the cowls to not have the angle in them that they do. It can be done but if it flies as good as it does now then I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are so many other scale features to be fixed or made on this plane. Plus its big and there is lots of room to work.

Orion
Aug 07, 2010, 12:30 PM
Okay great. My concern was more for the torque having a negative effect on this plane with the 2 motors than for scale. Thanks for the clarification guys. With that I all have to do now is mount the props before the maiden.
Aug 07, 2010, 06:59 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny177576
I hate to be the new guy, but I’m the “FNG”. I’m a military member deployed to Iraq, and have recently started appeasing my desire in RC Aircraft. Being deployed, I have made a local purchase on a small 3chl helo. I do not currently have the room for fixed wing, but rotating back to the real world in the next month. I am asking for your advice. I’m looking to start with a P-38 or an A-10. I plan on getting both eventually, but am now just getting started. I would like to know, is Banana Hobby the way to go? I’ve read a lot of negative posts, and want to know if they have improved. Also, can you tell me what you would recommend to start? I will start off with the simulator. It’s too expensive not to. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
i'm former Navy, and spent some quality time over there myself. Man did it get boring sometimes, what I wouldn't have done for a good RC aircraft to play with on downtime!

Anywho, just thought I'd say the P-38 & A-10 are just going to be piles of foam when you get through; get a trainer first. -And make sure it's one you don't mind crashing the heck out of.

Everyone always says J3 Cubs, Eflite Apprentices, etc, etc, but I personally started with a GWS Slow Stick, and couldn't have asked for a better starting plane. Why? -Its CHEAP! Why pay several hundred dollars for something that's entire purpose in life is to hit the ground a few times before you move on to a better airplane? You can get a GWS SS kit for like $25 bucks, maybe another $50 bucks on cheapo electronics, and your set. All you need is a RX and TX, which you can use on a later plane.

Something else you could do NOW while you're still deployed (as long as you have a descent laptop over there) is get a simulator. I have a hard-as-fast rule: I never fly a plane until I can fly it on the simulator. -And it's kept the "crushed foam" aspect of the hobby to a minimum.

Hope it helps, get home safe!
Aug 07, 2010, 10:49 PM
I put a set of GWS 9x5X3 counter rotating props on my silver one. Works fine, better than the stock ones. It will get some 9X7.5 two bladers as soon as I have the right spinners.
Aug 08, 2010, 08:14 AM
had anyone switrched out the motors on this one yet if so any suggestions?
Aug 08, 2010, 01:33 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan1
had anyone switrched out the motors on this one yet if so any suggestions?
These Tower Pros work great. You have to remove the existing motor and base first. They look the same to me, just pull a bit better than the stock motors.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5112
Aug 08, 2010, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODUsurfer
i'm former Navy, and spent some quality time over there myself. Man did it get boring sometimes, what I wouldn't have done for a good RC aircraft to play with on downtime!

Anywho, just thought I'd say the P-38 & A-10 are just going to be piles of foam when you get through; get a trainer first. -And make sure it's one you don't mind crashing the heck out of.

Everyone always says J3 Cubs, Eflite Apprentices, etc, etc, but I personally started with a GWS Slow Stick, and couldn't have asked for a better starting plane. Why? -Its CHEAP! Why pay several hundred dollars for something that's entire purpose in life is to hit the ground a few times before you move on to a better airplane? You can get a GWS SS kit for like $25 bucks, maybe another $50 bucks on cheapo electronics, and your set. All you need is a RX and TX, which you can use on a later plane.

Something else you could do NOW while you're still deployed (as long as you have a descent laptop over there) is get a simulator. I have a hard-as-fast rule: I never fly a plane until I can fly it on the simulator. -And it's kept the "crushed foam" aspect of the hobby to a minimum.

Hope it helps, get home safe!
I love every little bit of help I can get. Thank you for your service. Ya'll have helped us out of a pinch or five.

Being were we are, we are restricted to small helicopters. I would love to have a fixed wing here, but some of the weapon systems in the area might land it early and in many pieces. As cool as it would be to watch, it's trouble I'm not willing to change, or pay for. I'll be home soon, so patiently wait.

I'm torn with what I want, but know enough to spend a lot of time on the simulator before even opening the box. Who am I kidding, the box will be open the second I get it. I know not to fly. I have learned a great deal on the helicopters, and have done a great deal of repairs. Four of us have them, and I'm the mechanical one. McGiver would be proud.

If a GWS is something I can build on, as I learn, it sounds like what I need. Thank you again for your help.
Aug 11, 2010, 07:23 AM
Hello to everyone on RCGroups! I'm really happy to see this thread still nice and active. I just joined this group about 10 minutes ago and that occurred approximately 20 minutes after I ordered the Silver JPower P-38 from Banana Hobby. I have read some SERIOUS horror stories about Banana Hobby, but I've been drooling over this damn bird for about a week convincing myself to buy it and then unconvincing myself saying 'why take the chance?' I have not flown any planes in about 10 years and am 26 currently. I do, however, own about 6-8 helis that I can confidently hover in all positions. Anyway, to the point...I took the chance because I LOVE THE LOCKHEED P-38!!! Since I was about 8 years old I've had a fascination with WW2 Warbirds and immediately took to the P-38 Lightning. Sure I like the Mustang, I like the Thunderbolt, I like the Tomahawk, I like the Corsair....I FREAKING LOVE THE LIGHTNING. I have been so drawn to this bird that I have ordered it without prior experience of assembly (even though I did used to put together static models) and the knowledge of Banana's rep. This thread was the straw that opened the camel's wallet to commit to buy it. Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread and I hope the generosity, patience and kindness that you have shown to each other may possibly gravitate my way when my big double box arrives. I'm sure I will have questions, I'm sure I will get frustrated. One thing I know for sure, if/when I assemble it properly I do not plan on flying it until I get some more experience. I just want it sitting on my table in all of it's Fork Tailed Glory!!!! I actually do have a question off the bat: What parts do you epoxy and what parts do you hot glue? Keep in mind I am going to build this completely stock as I bought the full package with electronics and transmitter. I just really hope I don't screw it up by being a bit over my head....

-Robb-
Aug 11, 2010, 07:32 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorean14
Hello to everyone on RCGroups! I'm really happy to see this thread still nice and active. I just joined this group about 10 minutes ago and that occurred approximately 20 minutes after I ordered the Silver JPower P-38 from Banana Hobby. I have read some SERIOUS horror stories about Banana Hobby, but I've been drooling over this damn bird for about a week convincing myself to buy it and then unconvincing myself saying 'why take the chance?' I have not flown any planes in about 10 years and am 26 currently. I do, however, own about 6-8 helis that I can confidently hover in all positions. Anyway, to the point...I took the chance because I LOVE THE LOCKHEED P-38!!! Since I was about 8 years old I've had a fascination with WW2 Warbirds and immediately took to the P-38 Lightning. Sure I like the Mustang, I like the Thunderbolt, I like the Tomahawk, I like the Corsair....I FREAKING LOVE THE LIGHTNING. I have been so drawn to this bird that I have ordered it without prior experience of assembly (even though I did used to put together static models) and the knowledge of Banana's rep. This thread was the straw that opened the camel's wallet to commit to buy it. Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread and I hope the generosity, patience and kindness that you have shown to each other may possibly gravitate my way when my big double box arrives. I'm sure I will have questions, I'm sure I will get frustrated. One thing I know for sure, if/when I assemble it properly I do not plan on flying it until I get some more experience. I just want it sitting on my table in all of it's Fork Tailed Glory!!!! I actually do have a question off the bat: What parts do you epoxy and what parts do you hot glue? Keep in mind I am going to build this completely stock as I bought the full package with electronics and transmitter. I just really hope I don't screw it up by being a bit over my head....

-Robb-

First of all, Welcome to the group. Glad to see new member coming in and enjoying the experience with the rest of us.

Second, very smart on wanting to get experience on other planes first. Hovering a helicopter is not the same as flying one and it wont equate to anything for planes. If you need some ideas on good first planes, let me know and I will be happy to help.

Third, Banana Hobby has made great strides over the past 6 months to get their customer service and QC under control. The QC is still hit or miss but the customer service has been prompt and reliable.

Fourth, never use hot glue on a plane. It is a quick fix that is used at the field and some how has gotten into the build world. Heat expands foam causing a sloppy fit and the hot glue itself is way heavy compared to other glues like epoxy and Gorilla Glue - which by the way is probably the best glue you can use on a foam aircraft.

So again, welcome, have fun and keep us up to date on your planes progress.

Orion
Aug 11, 2010, 08:46 AM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Welcome Robb! My draw towards the P-38 has always been the same. I loved all WWII birds growing up but the P-38 always captivated me the most so it was only natural I would seek them out when I got into the hobby. Take your time with the build, reference any mod suggestions in this thread, get your stick time in on a SIM first then when it's time to maiden you will be ready and not at all disappointed in her flight performance and stability.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Aug 11, 2010, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax
Gorilla Glue - which by the way is probably the best glue you can use on a foam aircraft.
I have yet to try GG on any aircraft. The times I've used it in the past two things happened; it expanded like crazy and it dried up like a rock in the bottle even though I resealed it. How do you avoid these issues?

It would be nice to have something you don't have to mic like epoxy.

Regards,
Alan
Aug 11, 2010, 04:05 PM
ex-noob
It is supposed to expand. You cannot avoid this. I have not had it harden up in the bottle, so I don't know what to tell you on this other than it shouldn't happen.

Quick Reply