Oct 18, 2009, 03:55 PM
Pro Bro #1008
Thread OP
Build Log

Birdie's attempt at a Micro Yak 54

Howdy! I decided that I would attempt to scale down some plans from Foamy Factory's Yak 54 to try and make me some tiny indoor 3D planes for the upcoming indoor "season" .

I had the plans from Tim several years ago, and have been building the 32" Yak's and loving them..They are some of the best flyers there are! Tim Hart did an outstanding job to say the least, on top of that he is one of the coolest mofo's around!

This is my first attempt.

What I did was try and use acrobat to scale down the full size sheet plans until the slots for the tabs and stuff were 2mm wide, so that I could use 2mm depron to make the airframes from.

I just kind of got lucky, and I have had to do very little sanding, even with my very poor knife skills..just another testament to Tim's hard work and perfection that it has made this way easy so far!

I got a couple of the 10G outrunners from HC here, and am thinking that some little bluebird 303's would work for surfaces, and so far, this is what I have...
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2009, 03:55 PM
Pro Bro #1008
Thread OP

Here it is, RTF..! :)

I do not have an accurate scale, but it is for sure well over 1 ounce..so EPIC FAIL on that one..

I used hyperion 2S 120's with t-bird 9, and 3 of the little 2.5's and managed 75 degrees plus on the throw!!

Here is what it looked like flying tonite..
Last edited by birdie_in_texas; Nov 21, 2009 at 10:44 PM.
Oct 18, 2009, 03:56 PM
Pro Bro #1008
Thread OP

Am working on VIDEO..!

hold again..maybe for vids of me crashing!
Last edited by birdie_in_texas; Nov 21, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
Oct 18, 2009, 03:56 PM
Pro Bro #1008
Thread OP
and yet maybe a 3rd place holder..
Oct 18, 2009, 03:58 PM
Pro Bro #1008
Thread OP
More to come as I get some help in the micro department from some locals that are REALLY good at this sort of thing..
Oct 18, 2009, 04:18 PM
The RED filters through
Dude!

I can't wait to see it fly!

Ya know - my out-door flying skill are suffering because you've gotten me hooked on this indoor stuff... But I do love it...
Oct 18, 2009, 10:48 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
Hey Birdy, looks great!!

Cant wait to see more of it!

I toyed around with some micro 3D birds a few years ago, but the gear was expensive, and not much to choose from.
Oct 19, 2009, 09:31 AM
Pro Bro #1008
Thread OP
Same thing here Noah..but now the little bitty HC outrunners and stuff are sooo frreeaking cheap..

I got my buddy that owns the LHS to order me some 2S and 3S Hyperion 240's for this little thing!

IT IS GONNE BE AWESOME!!!

I am working on lightening the servos and ESC..I called Bernie @ Castle and he said I couldn't solder direct to the board, but that I could make the wires as short as I needed to on the t-bird esc, and I am going to solder the servos direct to the receiver to get rid of the weight of the plugs, but the little CF rods I got are too flexible..I need to find some tiny rod that is actually pretty stiff..this stuff is worse than spaghetti noodles..hell, those noodles would probably be better than what I got so far.. I was hoping to not have to use any standoffs for the rigging, but I guess that is a pipe dream..
Oct 19, 2009, 09:37 AM
I don't know about the t-birds, but I've resoldered all of the wires on a phoenix 10 to lighten it. If I remember, by going to very light wires, I was able to get it down to 2 grams with the servo plug still on it.

I've seen some guys use magnet wire on them to get them even lighter. I'm sure soldering on the board probably voids the warranty, but then again, if they saw the way I fly, no one would ever honor a warranty after I flew their product...

The new Hobby City stuff is super cheap, and really makes it easy, and don't forget about the Parkzone stuff as well. Jerry Combs cut an Edge for me that uses the gear from a PZ sukhoi, and it can be upgraded to brushless. I think I might try that out this season.
Oct 19, 2009, 09:37 AM
Pro Bro #1008
Thread OP
OOOOhhhh..!! I just found out he has one of the little spektrum receivers that has the servos built on..!! I could use them for the tail and then a 303 for the ailerons!! EWWW...I can't believe I am getting excited about this! hahahah

you know as bad as I fly that it won't last long! hahahah
Oct 19, 2009, 09:41 AM
Pro Bro #1008
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbSkull
I don't know about the t-birds, but I've resoldered all of the wires on a phoenix 10 to lighten it. If I remember, by going to very light wires, I was able to get it down to 2 grams with the servo plug still on it.

I've seen some guys use magnet wire on them to get them even lighter. I'm sure soldering on the board probably voids the warranty, but then again, if they saw the way I fly, no one would ever honor a warranty after I flew their product...

The new Hobby City stuff is super cheap, and really makes it easy, and don't forget about the Parkzone stuff as well. Jerry Combs cut an Edge for me that uses the gear from a PZ sukhoi, and it can be upgraded to brushless. I think I might try that out this season.

hahahahaha you fly like a bad ass and you know it!!!

That little Edge sounds awesome!! I was thinking about that as well, about stealing the guts out of a PZ Sukhoi..but i figured I would try this first..
Oct 19, 2009, 09:59 AM
And You're Not
Spektrum is coming out with a little micro RX with linear servos like the PZ Sukhoi has, but with a couple mm more throw. Whatever the RX number the Sukhoi has, this new one has an "L" on the end I think.
Oct 19, 2009, 10:02 AM
Good!!!! That's the biggest problem I've seen with the worm gear servos on the PZ stuff is that they didn't have enough travel. The L version sounds like it might be the ticket!!
Oct 19, 2009, 10:19 AM
Pro Bro #1008
Thread OP
Good Grief..that really would be perfect..! Thanks Auger! I will get my buddy to check into that and see if/when it will be available...
Oct 19, 2009, 10:45 AM
RC Connectors dot com
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie_in_texas
OOOOhhhh..!! I just found out he has one of the little spektrum receivers that has the servos built on..!! I could use them for the tail and then a 303 for the ailerons!! EWWW...I can't believe I am getting excited about this!
I have some BA2.5's with the nano-jst servo connector that will fit the AR6400 and AR6400L - no soldering necessary to get your aileron servo. Just check my blog...

Thanks,

Glenn

Quick Reply