May 27, 2010, 09:29 PM
Closed Account
Yes... The photos above show what it looks like after all the guts have been moved to a backplate (to reduce overall size to fit in a box lid).
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2010, 09:48 PM
First to go over 106K feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by workshop View Post
Yes... The photos above show what it looks like after all the guts have been moved to a backplate (to reduce overall size to fit in a box lid).
Thank you.
May 27, 2010, 11:28 PM
Team Spektrum FPV
Here's what I ended up with, after having lots of annoying little issues with goggles (dead pixels, b/w occasionally when not on the other monitor, etc etc) , I've decided I just want a nice big LCD screen for FPV. I tried a few flights with my little 7 inch monitor on my base station, and I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked out. I decided the Craig wasn't quite even as big as I wanted, if I was going to do it, I'm gonna do it right! So, the hunt for a nice 12 volt monitor began.

I went through every option I could find online, looked at a few made for car video installs and RV applications, and in the end I just got fed up with my options and went to Target. I went back to the electronics dept. and turned around every TV I thought may work, and my suspicion was correct, there were 2 on the shelf that had an external 12 volt power supply! One was a VIZIO 19 inch LED LCD TV, and was rated at only 3amps! (most I found in this size used more like 70 watts/ ~5 amps @12 volts) I decided to go for it largely based on the fact I could take it back easily if it gave me issues (namely I was worried about the blue screen issues).

Upon getting it home I was very happy to find it will show ALL the static from my FPV plane In fact, if I turn off the vtx entirely it will show "snow" for about 3 seconds before going to blue, and the moment I plug in the power to the vtx it starts to show the image even as the camera is still powering up! I was very happy to also find it only pulls 1.5 amps in actual use with a 12 volt (3s lipo) battery, and the screen works with no problem down to 10.5 volts. When the voltage gets too low its starts to flicker for a while before it actually shuts down. I was able to mount it into an old case I had with 4mm screws and spacers.

First flight went well, second one today was even better! absolutely no problems with showing any static, hasn't done anything funny yet. I just sat it in the back of my car and its bright enough to fly with sunglasses on! I can see so much more than my goggles
First flight with lcd screen, over G's house (9 min 17 sec)
May 28, 2010, 12:27 AM
CQ CQ DX RC
That is very nice!!!
Can you tell me the exact model number or better yet, the SKU so I can go attack my target?

Thanks for your review...
May 28, 2010, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7mag View Post
That is very nice!!!
Can you tell me the exact model number or better yet, the SKU so I can go attack my target?

Thanks for your review...
I used Google to search for his exact phrase (which looks like he cut-n-pasted from somewhere): "VIZIO 19 inch LED LCD TV" and the list came up with two models, one which runs about $200, and one which runs about $2000. I'm pretty sure we're talking about the cheap one. The model number is "VM190XVT Razor". You can get them cheaper than from Target, but I agree with his ease-of-trial, ease-of-return decision.

Hm, after closer review, Target also offers a cheaper version with a PC video input (probably VGA, maybe DMI). Both models are listed as web-only-not-stores. Neither version lists a 12V input, but they probably just have a power brick on a cord and don't tell you that you can use something other than wall power.
Last edited by HariEdo; May 28, 2010 at 06:30 AM.
May 28, 2010, 07:30 AM
CQ CQ DX RC
Thanks!
All good info...
Looks like I'll be shopping this weekend..
May 28, 2010, 10:23 AM
Team Spektrum FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by HariEdo View Post
I used Google to search for his exact phrase (which looks like he cut-n-pasted from somewhere): "VIZIO 19 inch LED LCD TV" and the list came up with two models, one which runs about $200, and one which runs about $2000. I'm pretty sure we're talking about the cheap one. The model number is "VM190XVT Razor". You can get them cheaper than from Target, but I agree with his ease-of-trial, ease-of-return decision.

Hm, after closer review, Target also offers a cheaper version with a PC video input (probably VGA, maybe DMI). Both models are listed as web-only-not-stores. Neither version lists a 12V input, but they probably just have a power brick on a cord and don't tell you that you can use something other than wall power.
sorry, I should have listed the model. Its an M190MV... http://www.vizio.com/m190mv.html#support
I got it for $240, and its got an external 12 volt supply, even though there is no mention of it in the specs I can't seem to find it on the Target website, and I think the $170 one mentioned had normal 120v AC power. Oh, the M190MV has VGA input as well
Last edited by aaronredbaron; May 28, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
May 28, 2010, 10:34 AM
CQ CQ DX RC
Thanks!
It's a good starting point and a GREAT idea looking at the units in the stores
to find the 12vdc power source....
I'm now thinking of a regular LCD PC monitor using a Composite to VGA adaptor
(which I already have). That way I can maintain the same aspect ratio as my
airborne video gear.. NITS... I need lots-o-NITS so I can see in in the desert light.

Have a fantastic weekend...

Paul
May 28, 2010, 10:44 AM
Team Spektrum FPV
it looks like that VM190XVT listed above has a higher brightness rating than mine (300 vs 250 nits) and a little higher power rating (55 watts vs my 37 watts) to go with it. But.. from the pics on the VIZIO website, it still appears to have 12 v in!
http://www.vizio.com/flat-panel-hdtvs/vm190xvt.html
May 28, 2010, 10:47 AM
CQ CQ DX RC
I've found a few "sunlight viewable" LCDs that are rated about
800 to 1500 nits but they cost about a dollar a nit...
Jun 06, 2010, 01:51 PM
V
V
Here's my custom made Craig TV
Here are pics of my whole Ground Station :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=46
Jun 06, 2010, 02:03 PM
Aerial Images of Texas
Dude, that's bad to the bone. Very nice work.
Love the diamond plate.
Jun 06, 2010, 02:06 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by olteancr View Post
Here's my custom made Craig TV
Here are pics of my whole Ground Station :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=46
I love the look of you GS, it looks like something the Cylons would use.
Jun 06, 2010, 03:01 PM
V
V
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashley View Post
Dude, that's bad to the bone. Very nice work.
Love the diamond plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
I love the look of you GS, it looks like something the Cylons would use.
Thanks a lot for your nice comments guys !!
It was a lot of work but I'm happy because I think it came out pretty nice
Rob
Jun 06, 2010, 06:20 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
Without a doubt the coolest ground station I've ever seen. Honestly those are all of my same ideas that I just never put into action. Well done.