Oct 17, 2009, 03:05 PM
kalteisen.com
Thread OP
Discussion

EPP Extra 260 from Kalteisen

Here's the latest new foamy from me. The fuse is solid 2 inch thick EPP with a carbon fiber tube inside. The wing is CNC cut from a 2 inch EPP block and has a carbon fiber spar. The control surfaces are 9mm Depron.

Span: 42"
Length: 43"
RTF Weight: 28-32oz
Servos: 4 HS-65, 81 or 85
Battery: 3s 1800-2000

I'm running my Torque 2818T/900 on mine.

http://kalteisen.com/extra_260_40_foamy.html

Q
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2009, 03:07 PM
kalteisen.com
Thread OP
The fuselage has precut mounting pockets for the ESC and receiver. The ESC pocket is right under the nose and allows for excellent cooling. The receiver pocket is connected to the ESC location buy a precut channel for the throttle lead.

Q
Oct 17, 2009, 03:09 PM
kalteisen.com
Thread OP
The wings have precut slots for the spar.

Q
Oct 17, 2009, 03:11 PM
kalteisen.com
Thread OP
I started assembly by using a sharpie and marking a center line on the lower fuse half and the upper fuse half. I used a sharp blade and cut a V trench in the uppser and lower fuse along the line. This is the trench for the CF rod.

Q
Oct 17, 2009, 03:15 PM
kalteisen.com
Thread OP
Next, do the same on the wings. Cut a trench in each wing half in the root before you glue the wing halves together.

Glue the wing halves together with poly glue or epoxy, then slide the CF rod through the center, then glue in the CF rod spar. The CF rod should extend 3 inches out the leading edge of the wing. Then glue the wing into place in the fuse, glue the top and bottom fuse halves together.

Q
Oct 17, 2009, 03:22 PM
kalteisen.com
Thread OP
Now the motor mount. Hold the motor mount plate in position and mark the 4 holes in the foam. Use a drill or hot knife to make holes 2 inches deep. Glue the 4 dowels into the motor mount with CA. I used thin CA.

Using 60 minute epoxy or poly glue, glue the motor mount in position. I used epoxy and covered each dowel, then the back of the motor mount plate.

Q
Oct 17, 2009, 03:28 PM
kalteisen.com
Thread OP
Now cut the elevator free from the HStab and bevel the hing point. This is all 9mil depron.

Hinge the elevator with tape before gluing it into the fuse.

Q
Oct 17, 2009, 03:30 PM
3DHS Junkie
very cool!
Oct 17, 2009, 03:32 PM
kalteisen.com
Thread OP
The rudder is next.

Look at the drawing. You cut the rudder free of the front part, bevel the hinge point and then tape it back to the part you just cut off. That part is what is glued to the fuse. This is the easiest way I found to make a solid hinge and provide an easy way to glue the rudder/VStab on.

I used hot glue here for a fast assembly.

Q
Oct 17, 2009, 10:32 PM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
The Extra looks really good Q, and great price!

Does it fly noticeably different to the Katana? I'd like to get the Extra, but don't really want two planes that fly exactly the same.

I'm extremely happy with the Kat, but did ding the motor mount out this morning when I was hit by a gust coming in for a three point landing.

The EPP will obviously put up with more, but will also break 'cleaner' if it does.
Oct 17, 2009, 11:42 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Motor mount looks sturdy.. often a weak area on larger foamies. Curious about the 70'' to 85'' foamies on the way? What auw's are expected?.. any pics of those? Any plans to offer a 48''-52'' full fuse epp plane? Thanks in advance for any feedback.. looking forward to videos.
Oct 18, 2009, 02:52 AM
Get It? - Got It!
This is a great concept - I was hoping someone would start doing this. Have you thought about non-scale 3D/Pattern performer? I designed and built this plane out of depron and styrofoam a couple of years ago. 42 span and 42 length, flew fantastic, but did not last long. PM me is you want more details. Thanks
Oct 18, 2009, 09:11 AM
kalteisen.com
Thread OP
Yep. I have a plane I desiged called the O2 that will get converted to this.

Q
Oct 18, 2009, 09:13 AM
kalteisen.com
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real
Motor mount looks sturdy.. often a weak area on larger foamies. Curious about the 70'' to 85'' foamies on the way? What auw's are expected?.. any pics of those? Any plans to offer a 48''-52'' full fuse epp plane? Thanks in advance for any feedback.. looking forward to videos.

Thanks.

Yes, I have been working very hard on the 70 and 85 inch versions. Thinking about the 48-55 inch size.

Q
Oct 18, 2009, 01:33 PM
Get It? - Got It!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicker
Yep. I have a plane I desiged called the O2 that will get converted to this.

Q
Right On!

I eagerly await this plane.

Thanks

Quick Reply