Updated LCD Bracket 4 mm holes.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2017, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fATAL
Updated LCD Bracket 4 mm holes.
Thanks again!
Jul 02, 2017, 02:21 PM
fATAL, those 3D printed brackets worked out good, and the monitors are now nicely mounted. They are a good design! thanks again.

I've run into one last issue, and thought I'd post for some suggestions on how you guys handled this with your GCS's.

I'm to the point of connecting the wire bundle from the the upper monitor panel down to the bottom panel area. I was all set to use the "drag chain" method used by Azeg on his commercial units. I even designed and 3D printed some nice receivers on each end, but I just can't make it work.... My bottom panel is recessed down in the case some, and there is too much chain making the jump. It doesn't want to easily slide in and even if it does their not enough room for it to slide into the bottom area under the panel.

I'm looking for a professional looking solution, that's less complicated than using drag chain?
Jul 02, 2017, 03:38 PM
Internet Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmacky
fATAL, those 3D printed brackets worked out good, and the monitors are now nicely mounted. They are a good design! thanks again.

I've run into one last issue, and thought I'd post for some suggestions on how you guys handled this with your GCS's.

I'm to the point of connecting the wire bundle from the the upper monitor panel down to the bottom panel area. I was all set to use the "drag chain" method used by Azeg on his commercial units. I even designed and 3D printed some nice receivers on each end, but I just can't make it work.... My bottom panel is recessed down in the case some, and there is too much chain making the jump. It doesn't want to easily slide in and even if it does their not enough room for it to slide into the bottom area under the panel.

I'm looking for a professional looking solution, that's less complicated than using drag chain?
You can use jumpers between 2 inputs on each side. Then remove them when not in use for a clean look. If not, you will have to use flexible conduit. I used it on the outside of V1 and it was hideous and annoying. I suggest using 2 different plugs on each side.
Jul 09, 2017, 12:34 PM
Hey folks,

I'm redoing my ground station to make it more portable and compact. I'm currently using a folding keter table and a Harbor Freight box for my ground station. It's just not portable enough. I'd like to go to a tripod and a small 10" or 12" ground station in a pelican case, which would mount to the tripod via a quick release bracket. I'll put all of my FPV gear in a backpack and attach this to the bottom of the tripod hook to keep it from tipping over. The idea is to be able to carry everything, including the plane, in one trip.

The main problem I'm running into is finding a suitable tripod that can handle the weight, but isn't unnecessarily expensive ($50-$100 range if possible, but will spend more if needed). There are just so many on the market, so I figured I'd ask guys here that have larger ground station setups that use the quick release mechanism. What models do you recommend?
Jul 09, 2017, 01:20 PM
KI7CBF
You might want to take a look at surveyor tripods - they're usually more sturdy than photography tripods and a bit cheaper. Getting a quick-release on them can be a bit of an exercise in finding adapters, but it's possible. If you're willing to just use a screw attachment, it's easy.
Jul 09, 2017, 01:40 PM
Eschew obfuscation
another option (that I have used well in the past) is equipment tripods....sometimes called PA speaker stands.
Some are designed to handle hundreds of pounds.
See example of: https://www.sweetwater.com/c444--PA_Speaker_Stands
Jul 09, 2017, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrmtrk
You might want to take a look at surveyor tripods - they're usually more sturdy than photography tripods and a bit cheaper. Getting a quick-release on them can be a bit of an exercise in finding adapters, but it's possible. If you're willing to just use a screw attachment, it's easy.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've thought about them, but they don't seem to be quite as portable or lightweight. I saw this video and like how compact the ground station case and tripod is: https://youtu.be/mgNb7LC4xTg?t=4m14s .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW (Qwin)
another option (that I have used well in the past) is equipment tripods....sometimes called PA speaker stands.
Some are designed to handle hundreds of pounds.
See example of: https://www.sweetwater.com/c444--PA_Speaker_Stands
Yeah I've thought about them too, but do have the same concern about size and weight when folded up. They do seem to be more affordable though which is a major plus. I'd think that a GS attached to the top of one of these would be much stronger than a tripod. I don't need a ball head to move the GS around. Do you know if they make quick disconnect adapters for these?
Last edited by Zangetsu57; Jul 09, 2017 at 02:07 PM.
Jul 09, 2017, 02:33 PM
Eschew obfuscation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57
I don't need a ball head to move the GS around. Do you know if they make quick disconnect adapters for these?
I just used a "flat adapter" that a screwed into the bottom of my equipment and it just sat on top of the stand...easy on and easy off
Jul 09, 2017, 10:13 PM
Internet Pilot
ill give you a solution, stand by. While I am working on my other station or revamping the whole design... I am using this. The tripod is great, it comes with a piece of ABS but you can just mount it to your case! I'll link the pod when I get on my laptop

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by fATAL; Jul 09, 2017 at 10:50 PM.
Jul 10, 2017, 08:57 AM
Making slow progress.
Jul 10, 2017, 11:01 AM
Internet Pilot
It is coming along quite nicely good job!
I am having second thoughts about my idea. My impromptu design has made me think about embedding everything into a panel and such.
Jul 10, 2017, 09:56 PM
Quote:
ill give you a solution, stand by. While I am working on my other station or revamping the whole design... I am using this. The tripod is great, it comes with a piece of ABS but you can just mount it to your case! I'll link the pod when I get on my laptop

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Not a bad idea! I like how sturdy the laptop mount assembly appears to be. My only gripe is there doesn't appear to be a hook at the base. I live in windy Colorado and need to prepare for crazy gusts. I guess I could still attach a weight somewhere else on the tripod to keep it down though, right?
Jul 10, 2017, 10:19 PM
Internet Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57
Not a bad idea! I like how sturdy the laptop mount assembly appears to be. My only gripe is there doesn't appear to be a hook at the base. I live in windy Colorado and need to prepare for crazy gusts. I guess I could still attach a weight somewhere else on the tripod to keep it down though, right?
For the wind just keep it low, idk how windy you fly in.
Jul 11, 2017, 10:12 PM
Quote:
It is coming along quite nicely good job!
I am having second thoughts about my idea. My impromptu design has made me think about embedding everything into a panel and such.

Interesting. Keep us updated on your progress either way.

Quick Reply