Oct 19, 2009, 10:36 PM
My grab-n-go ground station:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=176
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2009, 10:48 PM
Suspended Account
Reck
nice set up
good idea to be able to set up within minutes and be descrete.

at .5 miles i am surprised you don't just use a rubber ducky mounted up above your head or above other peoples heads?

so you can fly .5 miles all around you
Oct 19, 2009, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22
Reck
nice set up
good idea to be able to set up within minutes and be descrete.

at .5 miles i am surprised you don't just use a rubber ducky mounted up above your head or above other peoples heads?

so you can fly .5 miles all around you
Now I fly between 1 and 1.5 miles so the patch is nice for that.

I tried a rubber duck antenna and had terrible results with it. Here's a video from that same thread where I document my ground station

http://www.vimeo.com/1663194
Oct 19, 2009, 11:44 PM
Suspended Account
I love videos

cool experiment

I used an antenna that looks just like your first small one, but with 1.2.
maybe it is the same antenna?

didnot work for me either.

Bought a 1.2 sytem from my local spy shop and used the , what i call a rubber ducky that came with it, much higher dbi. I think it is 6

Bigger X2 but X4 better reception. better for sure anyways but pay a big price for aerodynamics

my oracle switches far away from me without a doubt
Oct 20, 2009, 03:13 PM
Yes, the monster-groundstation was a part of my diploma project at university I did last summer. To my surprise (2 PCs, 3 monitors, 3 microcontrollers and dozen of cables..), the system worked perfectly during the first test flight. But it really neads a better plane, it's too large and heavy.
Unfortunately there wasn't a second flight until now, simply because I didn't had time for flying ANY planes :-( So all the stuff is still waiting in the storage for a come-back, hopefully next summer!

Haha, I didn't meet the police until now, but I'm sure they will ask me "some" questions ;-) At least the walkers didn't seem to feel comfortable with the large parabolic antenna pointing at them, or was it more because of my flying-skills? Hmm...

cheers
Oct 20, 2009, 03:53 PM
Suspended Account
Hueber that is awesome, why couldn't you live in N.Y.?
Oct 20, 2009, 06:42 PM
Here is my g/s, the black box holds a Duo 2400, single airwave receiver, oracle diversity controller, EasyCap 2.0, and an ezTracker.

Mark
Oct 20, 2009, 06:47 PM
Mine is somewhat smaller than Hueber's. But I expect he has a bit more range.

There was another thread where someone had a Solo briefcase ground station. Amazon had the briefcase for less than $20. I still want to add diversity, but it works well as it is.
The primary goal was fast set up. It takes less than 30 secs to get it ready.
I use a TV tray to set it on.

Morris
Oct 20, 2009, 06:52 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisM
Mine is somewhat smaller than Hueber's. But I expect he has a bit more range.

There was another thread where someone had a Solo briefcase ground station. Amazon had the briefcase for less than $20. I still want to add diversity, but it works well as it is.
The primary goal was fast set up. It takes less than 30 secs to get it ready.
I use a TV tray to set it on.

Morris
Don't know if it was mine you saw.... there have been a few people use a briefcase for a GS.

I don't use this one anymore, it did work quite well but I took it apart to make a custom case GS.
Last edited by galaxiex; Oct 20, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
Oct 20, 2009, 07:01 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Have shown this before in one of the other GS threads...

This is what I use now, it's a bit big and heavy, thinking to go back to something a bit lighter and more compact....

Or just make a second, compact GS for a "quick grab-n-go" GS.

Not that this one is hard to setup, it's all ready to go at any time, it's just very heavy.

Last edited by galaxiex; Oct 20, 2009 at 07:20 PM.
Oct 21, 2009, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro
Hueber that is awesome, why couldn't you live in N.Y.?
No worries, I guess I will have enough range to fly to N.Y. for a visit ;-)
Oct 21, 2009, 09:41 AM
Long Range FPV !!!
Thread OP
Galaxiex,

After seeing the Voltage indicator in your old box, I started looking for the RPM meter and the speedometer also

I like the new box better ! How much does it weigh ? I know what you mean about size and weight, but what can you do... Mine weighs 45 pounds At least I will build some more muscle carrying mine around

Mike
Oct 21, 2009, 10:20 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
My humble base station...

I wear it around my neck.
I've flown my plane out to 4km with a 200mW VTx

At 1:30 and the end of this video you also see the Windsurfer Antenna, which I use now. It is at least as good as the 8dBi patch antenna.

Frafjord (4 min 58 sec)
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Oct 21, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
Oct 21, 2009, 10:25 AM
Long Range FPV !!!
Thread OP
I dont think I will be hiking to the top of any mountains soon with my ground station, portability has its advantages

Mike
Oct 21, 2009, 03:36 PM
Did you get it on video?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl
Windsurfer Antenna, which I use now. It is at least as good as the 8dBi patch antenna.

Ok, where would one buy a windsurfer antenna?

Quick Reply