Thread Tools
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:09 PM
AirChime is offline
Find More Posts by AirChime
Registered User
AirChime's Avatar
Discussion

Laws against flying RC planes?


I was curious if flying my RC plane (with a camera on board) would be illegal in certain places like major cities, and did some research. I could only come up with the FAA's AC 91-57 found here:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/1acfc3f689769a56862569e70077c9cc/$FILE/ATTBJMAC/ac91-57.pdf

It seems to me that if it is for personal use (not making money from the videos) then it's okay so long as I'm not interfering with an airport or other such things mentioned in AC 91-57.

What about flying over monuments in downtown Washington DC (avoiding the White House of course), San Fran or some other major city?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:42 PM
Majortomski is offline
Find More Posts by Majortomski
dusty bible = dirty life
Majortomski's Avatar
I think in Washington, ANY model airplane any where for any reason is going to get you in trouble.

In the National Parks you have to talk to the local rangers

In any other city it's probably ok
Old Oct 17, 2009, 01:11 PM
AirChime is offline
Find More Posts by AirChime
Registered User
AirChime's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majortomski
I think in Washington, ANY model airplane any where for any reason is going to get you in trouble.

In the National Parks you have to talk to the local rangers

In any other city it's probably ok
What would be so different about Washington beside the White House and Military Bases? What would be so wrong about the Washington Monument?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 02:22 AM
lvspark is offline
Find More Posts by lvspark
Registered User
lvspark's Avatar
You might need a permit for the washington monument.
From 36 CFR 7.96
"(c) Model planes. Flying a model powered plane from any park area is prohibited without a permit."
It says "from" a park... not flying beside or over..

Besides that, better check for notams and TFR's in the area. The details on NOTAM 9/4399 is:
"Location : WASHINGTON DC, District of Columbia
Beginning Date and Time : February 17, 2009 at 0500 UTC
Ending Date and Time : Until further notice
Reason for NOTAM : Temporary flight restrictions for Special Security Reasons"


and that NOTAM includes the following:
"E. THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED WITHIN THE DC FRZ: FLIGHT TRAINING, PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES, AEROBATIC FLIGHT, GLIDER OPERATIONS, PARACHUTE OPERATIONS, ULTRALIGHT, HANG GLIDING, BALLOON OPERATIONS, TETHERED BALLOONS, AGRICULTURE/CROP DUSTING, ANIMAL POPULATION CONTROL FLIGHT OPERATIONS, BANNER TOWING OPERATIONS, MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS, MODEL ROCKETRY, AND UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS)."

You can find the NOTAM here http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_4399.html

Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:25 AM
CenTexFlyer is offline
Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Registered User
Hey Mikey!

Good call on this one! There is also a website that will show all the TFR's (regardless of reason) in all areas of the U.S.

Gene
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:33 AM
daddiozz is online now
Find More Posts by daddiozz
foamie re-cycler
daddiozz's Avatar
I suspect they're a bit paranoid about any kind of possible terrorist delivery systems in the DC area these days ... a Slow Stick could potentially carry a significant amount of C-4 or a gas canister to a target... nevermind a telemaster or other larger model..
Last edited by daddiozz; Oct 19, 2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:10 AM
AirChime is offline
Find More Posts by AirChime
Registered User
AirChime's Avatar

Thank you


Quote:
Originally Posted by lvspark
You might need a permit for the washington monument.
From 36 CFR 7.96
"(c) Model planes. Flying a model powered plane from any park area is prohibited without a permit."
It says "from" a park... not flying beside or over..

Besides that, better check for notams and TFR's in the area. The details on NOTAM 9/4399 is:
"Location : WASHINGTON DC, District of Columbia
Beginning Date and Time : February 17, 2009 at 0500 UTC
Ending Date and Time : Until further notice
Reason for NOTAM : Temporary flight restrictions for Special Security Reasons"


and that NOTAM includes the following:
"E. THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED WITHIN THE DC FRZ: FLIGHT TRAINING, PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES, AEROBATIC FLIGHT, GLIDER OPERATIONS, PARACHUTE OPERATIONS, ULTRALIGHT, HANG GLIDING, BALLOON OPERATIONS, TETHERED BALLOONS, AGRICULTURE/CROP DUSTING, ANIMAL POPULATION CONTROL FLIGHT OPERATIONS, BANNER TOWING OPERATIONS, MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS, MODEL ROCKETRY, AND UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS)."

You can find the NOTAM here http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_4399.html


That was extremely helpful! Thank you. "Until further notice... " Why do I get the feeling that they really mean "forever?" That sucks for people living in DC who want a little park flyer.
Such blanket laws really get frustrating as we all know that if someone really wanted to do something harmful they could and would, and these laws take away freedoms from those trying to be law abiding citizens.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 02:24 PM
lvspark is offline
Find More Posts by lvspark
Registered User
lvspark's Avatar
Your welcome, but dont take my posts as a final determination. As I understand, it is a 30 mile radius for the NOTAM! ( thats a circle 60 miles across) Might want to check with some local club fields and see how they deal with it. There has to be some legit flying in that zone somewhere..??

These guys are within 25 miles of zip code 20500 (white house)

NORTHERN VA CONTROL LINE ASSN
Flying Site Details 4.29 miles
RICHARD HOUSER
1314 S OAKLAND ST
ARLINGTON VA 22204
Phone: 703/920-0683

CAPITAL AREA ANTIQUE MODELERS ASSOC
Flying Site Details 8.65 miles
JOHN FELTER
1915 MIRACLE LN
FALLS CHURCH VA 22043
Phone: 703/827-5944

GODDARD MAC
9.24 miles
CHARLES BUFFALANO
9613 HILLRIDGE DR
KENSINGTON MD 20895
Phone: 301/946-5439

FLY AWAY RC CLUB
Flying Site Details 10.52 miles
PETER CURTIS
5 PINECREST CT
GREENBELT MD 20770
Phone: 301-474-5068

SKY LANCERS OF WASHINGTON
12.79 miles
JOHN VLNA
13010 COLLINGWOOD TER
SILVER SPRING MD 20904
Phone: 301/989-0025

DCRC CLUB
Flying Site Details 14.26 miles
ANDREW KANE
305 NATICK CT
SILVER SPRING MD 20905
Phone: 301/785-3022

NORTHERN VA RC CLUB INC
Flying Site Details 15.27 miles
KENNETH BASSETT
9100 DE SOTO CT
BURKE VA 22015
Phone: 703-425-1392

CHARLES COUNTY WINDRIFTERS
Flying Site Details 20.54 miles
KENNETH STEVANUS
12255 POTOMAC VIEW RD
NEWBURG MD 20601
Phone: 301/893.0711

CHARLES COUNTY RC
Flying Site Details 22.46 miles
DAVID FULLER
4015 NIGHT HERON CT APT C
WALDORF MD 20602
Phone: 301-885.2130

FREE STATE AEROMODELERS
Flying Site Details 23.70 miles
KIRK ADAMS
PO BOX 2072
COLUMBIA MD 21045
Phone: 443-995-2962

MARYLAND HELICOPTER ASSO
24.07 miles
KEN DECKELMAN
1130 PINCH VALLEY RD
WESTMINSTER MD 20121
Phone: 410.751.7198
Old Oct 19, 2009, 02:32 PM
lvspark is offline
Find More Posts by lvspark
Registered User
lvspark's Avatar
Hi Gene,
Here is the AMA model related NOTAM page with twitter! lol..
http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...bs/notams.aspx
AMA is doing good things!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 04:45 PM
Real Ira is offline
Find More Posts by Real Ira
Not THAT Ira
Real Ira's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvspark
Hi Gene,
Here is the AMA model related NOTAM page with twitter! lol..
http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...bs/notams.aspx
AMA is doing good things!

Handy site to have bookmarked.

Looks like we can forget about that candid AP shot of high up politicians with their finger up their nose.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:12 AM
paramotorclub is offline
Find More Posts by paramotorclub
Registered User

Notams


All,

I am a paramotor pilot, (as the username suggests ;-) )

I came across this thread when doing the normal google tralling. As a paramotor pilot in the UK we are required by law to read NOTAMS before every flight.

Many pilots find reading NOTAM info quite hard work and time consuming, due to the text format it is delivered in.

We came up with a solution and have implimented it in the UK.

My question is, if we could (which we can with ease) provide the same service to the USA and Canada would you as RC plane piliots check them more regularly before taking to the air? FYI NOTAMS are updated every hour.

This is a 100% free, no registration required service in an aid to make flying (anything) safer.

I do feel as though RC pilots should know, if a military jet is going to pass over at 200ft :-)

Please do have a play with the UK version (link below) and let me know your thoughts. We could have the USA live in a matter of a few days.

NOTAM PAGE

Great site BTW!!!

Simon W :-)
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:04 AM
AirChime is offline
Find More Posts by AirChime
Registered User
AirChime's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramotorclub View Post
All,

I am a paramotor pilot, (as the username suggests ;-) )

I came across this thread when doing the normal google tralling. As a paramotor pilot in the UK we are required by law to read NOTAMS before every flight.

Many pilots find reading NOTAM info quite hard work and time consuming, due to the text format it is delivered in.

We came up with a solution and have implimented it in the UK.

My question is, if we could (which we can with ease) provide the same service to the USA and Canada would you as RC plane piliots check them more regularly before taking to the air? FYI NOTAMS are updated every hour.

This is a 100% free, no registration required service in an aid to make flying (anything) safer.

I do feel as though RC pilots should know, if a military jet is going to pass over at 200ft :-)

Please do have a play with the UK version (link below) and let me know your thoughts. We could have the USA live in a matter of a few days.

NOTAM PAGE

Great site BTW!!!

Simon W :-)
That page is pretty sweet and makes it much easier to find information for a specific location than the FAA's website.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 01:10 AM
VasMan is offline
Find More Posts by VasMan
Registered User
VasMan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirChime View Post
It seems to me that if it is for personal use (not making money from the videos) then it's okay so long as I'm not interfering with an airport or other such things mentioned in AC 91-57.
It depends on the property owner. Locally in Sacramento, CA, all county parks are off limits for any RC flying, with the exception of Ancil Hoffman park, and that's only "officially" available to gliders (although people with gassers fly there also), and two fields leased to local clubs.

Vas
Old Oct 31, 2009, 03:49 PM
Tango Juliet is offline
Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Returning From Hiatus
Tango Juliet's Avatar
The topic of NOTAMs and model aviators came up recently at work. I work for a helicopter company that operates in the Gulf of Mexico and all along it's coast from Texas to Alabama. A recent Presidential visit to New Orleans initiated a TFR, which, as noted above, includes the restriction of R/C models. My comment then, was and is, "How many R/C modelers even know what a TFR or NOTAM is, and how would they ever know of the restriction?" 1:1 pilots know all about them as part of their flight training, but modelers, especially the family that has a plug and play park flyer, have no knowledge at all. Government beaurocracy and knee jerk reactions !
Old Oct 31, 2009, 04:14 PM
randall1959 is offline
Find More Posts by randall1959
Suspended Account
As any govt agent will tell you, ignorance of the law is no excuse. They'll still whack you even if you don't know the law exists or the notam or whatever.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll Flying rc planes, hobby or addiction? raz Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 63 Jun 18, 2015 12:15 PM
Discussion High altitude flying with conventional RC planes: Tips, Tricks, Visibility & Control BosTom Electric Plane Talk 150 Dec 28, 2009 02:01 AM
Discussion Good Entry into Electric RC Flying - Micro Planes such as the new Vapor? boiko Electric Plane Talk 6 Aug 10, 2008 12:08 AM
Poll age limit for flying rc helis and planes NZ_Nitro Fuel Heli Talk 50 Dec 28, 2006 03:28 PM
Question about Flying wires on Scale RC planes Mike Parsons Scale Kit/Scratch Built 2 May 12, 2004 11:45 AM