Oct 16, 2009, 06:07 PM
Contest

South Bay Soaring Society October Thermal Contest

On Sunday October 25th SBSS will hold a thermal contest for Open and RES.

Skill levels: RES: expert, Sportsman and fledging.

Time: 8:50 AM pilots' meeting; 9:00 AM first window opens.

Landing Fee: $5.00 per event

Bob De Mattei rcdemattei@comcast.net

Hope to see a lot of you attend.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2009, 11:41 PM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy

Contest Results

We had a great day weather-wise, but the promise of good early thermals was spoiled by too much humidity; the field being absolutely soaking wet made matters worse. So we set the task times low, and it was really the luck of the draw when you launched whether or not you found something that lasted more than a minute or two before evaporating. A very light variable breeze allowed a lucky few to stretch their times before landing over the plane-eating trees. I still think Greg has discovered how to put Helium in a bottle and release it when needed....

We also had some excitement with the winch - "someone" forgot to put the stakes in. Fortunately it didn't catch a thermal so it was easy to retrieve, except Murphy got involved. Let's just say they shouldn't let the CD near a winch line without sufficient coffee! Things were finally straightened out just before 10, which improved the chances of thermals so nobody complained.

After that things went smoothly, save a couple of exciting popoffs and unfortunately Greg snapped a wing panel on his Bird of Time. Team Stark was making a great showing, having moved up to Sportsman in the Open Event, but a Zero landing hurt. Even so, it was tight for 2nd and 3rd place. Sean Worthington calmly sailed through to 1st place, showing to good advantage the benefit really clean launches can give.

There was really exciting action in Open Expert for 2nd and 3rd between Bobby McGowan and Greg "never give up" Norsworthy - 1 point! Kai Yang was not that far ahead either - check the scores!

The numbers:

RES Expert
1. Bob Brown 1232 73.3%
2. Greg Norsworthy 467 32.4% (wing break)

RES Sportsman
1. John Dvorak 202 13.5% (mechanical failure)

Open Expert
1. Kai Yang 1650 98.2%
2. Bobby McGowan 1633 97.2%
3. Greg Norsworthy 1632 97.1%

Open Sportsman
1. Sean Worthington 1296 90.1%
2. Bruce Lewis 1252 86.9%
3. David Stark 1232 85.6%
4. Rich Duder 798 55.4%

November 29, 2010 is the next event - come on out and join the fun!

Bruce "Someone"
Last edited by Bruce DeVisser; Oct 26, 2009 at 11:17 PM.
Oct 26, 2009, 08:51 AM
DCS
DCS
TD is for Me
Greetings.

Bruce, thanks to you and Team SBSS for another super-fun contest. Anne and I had a great time - we both are really enjoying the TD scene.

I was timing for Greg during the second round and still can't believe how he milked 7+ minutes out of four-minute air. His time during that round was a testament to persistence and absolute smoothness on the sticks. He capitalized on every bump and somehow squeezed three more minutes out.

It was a bittersweet day for Team Stark. At 7 minutes into my 9 minute round the Pysko's rudder locked up full-right. Luckily, we had enough aileron authority for both roll and (sorta) yaw control. I eeked out about 30 more seconds but landed (upright) out of the zone. We were bummed to blow that round but happy to return home with an intact airframe. A subsequent field repair - we reduced the throw - and test launch showed the Psyko is ready for more SBSS contest action.

Rich, the photos are really cool!

Hope to see you all next month.

Ciao.

- DCS

PS - Allen, thanks for the Air-T servo leads. Bob, thanks for the servo and Spectrum nose cones. Kai, thanks for putting that orange cone on your head while timing for Bob. Anne wants you to fly with it on at the next contest. Dooooo Eeeeet!
Oct 26, 2009, 05:34 PM

Kai is on a hot streak!

Kai won our DLG contest last weekend and now he wins this TD contest. Great flying Kai!

Lift turned out to be a lot tougher than I thought it would be, but that keeps things interesting.

Thanks Bob D. and Bruce D. and the rest of the guys who made the contest possible. I had a great time.
Oct 27, 2009, 06:16 PM
Thank you Bob.

I had a great time.
Originally I thought that would be a bad day because I lost the wing mount screw when I arrived the field. Thanks Bob M. loan me his Supra screws. Then my aileron linkage pop lose. Thanks to Bob D. for driving back home to find the life-safer epoxy for me. Turn out to be an extreme fun day.

Cannot wait to fly next month.

-Kai
Nov 02, 2009, 05:06 PM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy

Winch 2 brake fixed

The hammer, some cleaning, new screws and a new v-belt fixed it - now have a v-belt spare already drilled for replacement. Just need a test run with the retriever attached.