Jan 03, 2010, 02:37 PM
Fly lower!

Try older vs of firmware for Phoenix 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatManDEW
I but I have had lots of problems with the Phoenix 10 and the A10-15S. Some of them just don't play well together.
Try using the oldest firmware version available for the Phoenix 10. I have been doing this, and have had no problems with the A10-15S. If you don't like the way it performs, just go back and update with the newer firmware.

Now back to the MX2

aerolite
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2010, 03:17 PM
FASST flyer
I see people talking about having to "hand flip" motors to get them started, and I don't consider that acceptable operation.

Aerolite: You're correct - I've had to go back to the oldest firmware to get CC10's to work with the A10-15S (I have 5 of them). In one case I had to use a very old CC10 which doesn't work with the Castle Link programmer. None of my other CC10's, with any combination of settings, would operate that particular (brand new) A10-15S.
Jan 03, 2010, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmandew
i see people talking about having to "hand flip" motors to get them started, and i don't consider that acceptable operation.

Aerolite: You're correct - i've had to go back to the oldest firmware to get cc10's to work with the a10-15s (i have 5 of them). In one case i had to use a very old cc10 which doesn't work with the castle link programmer. None of my other cc10's, with any combination of settings, would operate that particular (brand new) a10-15s.
use the x-5!
Jan 03, 2010, 04:02 PM
FASST flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmaster12
use the x-5!
Isn't that the one that some have reported having to "hand flip" to get it started?
Jan 03, 2010, 06:13 PM
Amsoil Dealer
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatManDEW
Isn't that the one that some have reported having to "hand flip" to get it started?
Sometimes, sometimes not.

Not that big of a deal though.
Jan 03, 2010, 06:38 PM
FASST flyer
I've seen mention of hand flipping motors in other threads.

All five of my A10-15S motors, and my A10-9L motor are now working flawlessly with CC10 ESC's, with no hand flipping ever required. I think you've seen all five of them flying Seth. I think I'll stick with CC10's, since I have plenty of them on hand. I also know of several A10-15S motors that work flawlessly with CC Thunderbird ESC's.

I have another A10-9L waiting to be used, and another CC10 waiting to use with it.

I currently have at least a couple dozen flyable electric setups, from indoor foamy size, to 35% scale. And I've had many many more over the years. From all these countless setups, I've come to find that some ESC's and some motors just do not play well together. It's just a fact of life which is documented here on EZone is many places. I am thankful that some EZoners have helped me realize that some motors and ESC's just will not work well together, so that I could stop trying to get them to work, and move on to a combination that would work. I could name several setups off the top of my head that just plain would not work, until I switched to a different brand of ESC. Sometimes switching to another ESC of the same brand and model also cured a problem.
Jan 03, 2010, 08:13 PM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
Thread OP
With the X-5 and the A10 motors, you should never have to hand-flip. If you do, it's generally a sign of a bad motor-esc connection or an issue in the motor. I have seen exceptions, but not many. I have used the Phoenix 10 with both the A10-9L and the 15S and had no start-up issues with either.
Jan 03, 2010, 11:25 PM
FASST flyer
I didn't have any trouble with my first three Phoenix 10 and A10-15S combos, other than needing to use the oldest firmware. The next two however were not so easy. Both the motors and the ESC's were brand spanking new.

I can tell you lots of horror stories about ESC and motor combinations on larger planes
Jan 04, 2010, 12:47 AM
FASST flyer
Back on topic here: I didn't get much chance to fly my MX2 the first night I flew it. But I got more time with it this past weekend, and it truely is an awesome flying plane.

I've had other foamies that weigh about the same as my MX2, and a Hacker A10-15S pulled them around with no problem. The A10-9L is a real horse on a plane that size and weight.
Jan 08, 2010, 10:13 AM
Fast and getting faster!
Hey Rj, do u have a shot of ur Mx with the mamo system installed, I was wondering where you mounted the servo, I am gonna break down and try vpp again. It looks like the mamo unit is alot better than the old hollow shaft system by far LOL! Also did you use a 10 amp speedo?
Jan 08, 2010, 11:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTALJR
Hey Rj, do u have a shot of ur Mx with the mamo system installed, I was wondering where you mounted the servo, I am gonna break down and try vpp again. It looks like the mamo unit is alot better than the old hollow shaft system by far LOL! Also did you use a 10 amp speedo?
I don't have a picture here, but I install the servo in the
bottom vertical fuse sitting right against the horizontal fuse. Basically the same location that I put my battery on a non-VPP airplane. That tends to give you very good linkage geometry from the servo to the pitch arm.

And yes, I do use a 10-amp ESC. You might get away with less but a little cushion room is nice.

RJ
Jan 08, 2010, 11:24 AM
Fast and getting faster!
ok cool, did you move the battery farther back or right againt the servo? Probably gonna use a small 350-480 3 cell
Jan 08, 2010, 03:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTALJR
ok cool, did you move the battery farther back or right againt the servo? Probably gonna use a small 350-480 3 cell
I move it back under the wing. Especially if you are going to use that big a battery, it will be important to move it back. I use 2S 325's that weigh significantly less.
Jan 13, 2010, 04:18 PM
D C
D C
I'm Out Sky Dancing!
RJ, on a neutral setup, where does your MX2 balance?

Thanks,

Don C
Jan 13, 2010, 04:49 PM
Thread OP
Hi Don,

Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't fly mine totally neutral, and I never really measure the location of the CG. It seems that a good baseline though is balancing right at the leading edge of the canopy. On our VPP planes we're up to an inch in front of that, but they definitely fly a bit noseheavy.

I would start at the canopy LE and move it from there based on your preference. With my CG, it doesn't have any KE coupling and takes just a breath of down elevator inverted.

RJ

Quick Reply