Oct 15, 2009, 03:47 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Thread OP
Discussion

high quality rca cables

How many of you use quality rca cables vs the el-cheapo's that come with most receivers?

Im debating spending the money on gold plated connectors (like the kind used in hi-fi audio systems) just to sweeten the signal quality if they do anything at all.

Anybody seen better video quality with better cables?
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2009, 03:56 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
I have some cables that cost me about $60 and I can honestly say that I can't notice any difference in picture quality. The only thing is that it gives me a bit more peace of mind knowing that I probably won't have a cable fail on me as has happened with the cheap ones. With all the coiling/uncoiling and generally moving around, I've found that the cheap cables don't last that long.
Oct 15, 2009, 03:57 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
I would be STUNNED if it were possible to detect a difference, even using a scope - yet alone actually noticing a viewing difference.

I concede that the gold-plated connectors might resist oxidization for longer.

Adam
Oct 15, 2009, 04:25 PM
SSM
SSM
ɹǝpunuʍop
If you're the type of guy that spends $10,000 on monster oxygen-free copper speaker cables, then go for it. But if you're like me (I use 25c lighting flex), then perhaps the cheapies will do! Lol.

Good points about making sure they stay physically intact, though.

Simon
Oct 15, 2009, 04:27 PM
Monster Cables and such were just a money maker for Audio - Video stores. Think about were it has all turned to now after all those years of selling big fat cables. Now we have HDMI with tiny contacts and all the cable are the size of one of the Monster cables. To me thats proof all that wasn't needed. Granted good quality and plated connectors are still a plus. Try a $50.00 HDMI and a $9.00 and see if you can tell one from the other.
Oct 15, 2009, 04:29 PM
Cruising at 399ft AGL
I'm sure they are more durable and will last longer, but you won't see a difference in the signal, unless you making a LOOOOOONG run from the receiver...
Oct 15, 2009, 04:36 PM
Yeah Baby
I once paid 60 for a gold plated scart lead and gotta say..........A big waste of cash, couldn't see any difference from the cheapo supplied scart lead

Simon
Oct 15, 2009, 04:38 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Thread OP
thanks for your opinions gentlemen
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Oct 15, 2009, 05:11 PM

High Quality Cables

The only advantage would be that most high-end cables are shielded inside, making them less vulnerable to interference and also, they produce less noise than a cheapo cable. With this said, you can get cheap shielded cables that will do the trick just fine without paying for brand names like Monster and stuff.
Oct 15, 2009, 05:51 PM
All RCA A/V cables are shielded.

The real trick is to find cables with decent strain relief between
the cables and the connector. I've had several fail over time.

ian
Oct 15, 2009, 06:56 PM
Suspended Account
I have some crappy audio video cables that are not shielded but do NOT use them.

You can make your own custom length cables from bulk with very high end connectors for cheap.

no need to pay monster prices for "monster" cables
Oct 15, 2009, 09:27 PM
the only time you will notice a difference when useing thin unshielded cables is when there is a source of electrical noise. ie mixed in with all those power cables,components tv,hometheater systems, speakers game systems computers.
or long cable runs with other wires.
Oct 15, 2009, 11:03 PM
400' + is where fun starts.
Not all cables are shielded. There is a differance, and you wont see it with the short lenghts we use. Audio/Video cables should be 75 ohm impedance, those cheap red/white ones are not. Good connectors are almost needed, you can get away with the better than cheap gold ones. Monster cable are not worth the money.

Unshielded good audio cable - http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=
Oct 15, 2009, 11:42 PM
I got a new DVD player and they wanted more for the cable than the player. I guess that is how they make money.

Good prices on cables.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp
Oct 15, 2009, 11:46 PM
400' + is where fun starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrape
I got a new DVD player and they wanted more for the cable than the player. I guess that is how they make money.

Good prices on cables.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

Accessories is where they make money but $5.00 for 50 feet, there's something wrong there.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Quick Reply