Oct 15, 2009, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
Gallery

Conversion of Rumpler CV

i was "falling in love" with a Guillow's Rumpler C5 about one year ago.

... motivated by Steve85, who build it the classic way as a freeflight one, i started this thread,

Unfurtunately i have no detailed building fotos. So i will add what experience i will get with flying them (allready flown!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilatusb4
Hi Steve,

thank you very much for the friendly welcome in RC Groups and the nice words on my Rumpler. I really agree fully to you, bulding the rumpler was really a pleasure for me.

In the mean time i could not wait to let her fly. Last friday we had wounderful wether without any wind here in Germany. So i tried it out.

And your opinion was totally right. She flies really slow (considering the weight). The balancing was not the rigt one, so she was as little bit wagly to fly.

I adet weiht to the nose an it became much better during the second flight.

So for the next take off i will use a bigger LiPo (currently 180 mAh), so i will not waste weight!

Here some pictures of the model/original. The last picture is just be for maiden flight.

So from next flight i will add perhaps some pic form Rumpler in flight.

Viele Gre!

PilatusB4
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2009, 12:59 PM
MPP
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
WOW, Beautiful job! Congratulations on well detailed conversion! Can't wait to see the in flights!

Mark
Oct 15, 2009, 01:53 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Amazing! So scale job Konrad!
Oct 15, 2009, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
Hi Mark,

thanks very much for the friendly words. Currently it's quite bad wether here and i have to do my homework! So I will add new Lipo.

The old Lady is quite underpowered so she is flying quite "scale" like, whats means that whether must be perfekt and i must keep extremely cool during flight!
Oct 15, 2009, 02:13 PM
Suspended Account
Another fine job !

All the best,
Konrad
Oct 15, 2009, 04:57 PM
Suspended Account
Nice job.
I'll save this thread for motivation, if I ever get around to mine. I was lucky enough to have this kit given to me a few years ago, along with 2 other kits that I built.
Oct 15, 2009, 07:25 PM
museum quality work - excellent
Oct 15, 2009, 08:26 PM
Fly, dangit!!!
HOLY SMOKES!!! AND it's a conversion... truly amazing work, thanks for sharing.
Oct 15, 2009, 09:34 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Wow! Great job. You really have to give some respect to Guillow's. Although the wood was usually a mess the design and plans were very good.

Your finish and details are incredible.

Mike
Oct 15, 2009, 09:39 PM
Registerd Beaver
Beautiful work indeed!
Is it scaled up at all? or straight from the box?

Whatever the case - an amazing job.
Thanks for sharing.

phil
Oct 16, 2009, 10:58 AM
Garry Owen!
Glancing at your pictures, I had difficulty determining which was the real one in the museum and which were the model in your house. Amazing!
Oct 16, 2009, 11:35 AM
Thread OP

Thanks!!

Hello all,
thank you very much for the very positive response!
It's my first model here at rcgroups and now i feal really at home here!
Thanks!

I was looking for additional pictures on my harddisc of the rumpler and found one from the maiden flight on the top of my car.

Phil,
Its made according the plans of Guillos, but the parts of the kit where not used (the kit is to precious to me to destroy it!). Plastic parts had bin replaced by light balsa design (exepting cowling, used from an uncompleted kit)

WTFLR, i also have the Fieseler. Did you allready stard to build it? My Fieseler is waiting to be started somewhen!

If there are any news on my Rupler, i will let you know immediately!

Michael
Last edited by pilatusb4; Oct 16, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Oct 16, 2009, 05:35 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilatusb4
Hello all,
thank you very much for the very positive response!
It's my first model here at rcgroups and now I feel really at home here!
Thanks!

I was looking for additional pictures on my hard disc of the Rumpler and found one from the maiden flight on the top of my car.

Phil,
It's made according the plans of Guillows, but the parts of the kit were not used (the kit is to precious to me to destroy it!). Plastic parts had been replaced by light balsa design (exept cowling, used from an uncompleted kit)

WTFLR, I also have the Fieseler. Did you already start to build it? My Fieseler is waiting to be started somewhen!

If there are any news on my Rumpler, I will let you know immediately!

Michael
How many of these vintage kits do you have? Lucky guy.
I know they can be found, but it's tough to pay so much, when I believe the original Storch receipt was in the box, at around $2. I was lucky to get the Storch for free.

The Storch has been flown and all. There's a thread at Wattflyer in the Vintage and Old Timer forum. I've thought of building an enlarged version, as the design is more simplistic than that of other Storches I've seen, but still can look good.
Oct 25, 2009, 12:54 PM
Thread OP

Testrun!

Hi WTFLYR,

Wow, your Fieseler looks fantastic. Is it flying as well as it looks like? In the meantime i have stopped to count my guillows kits. I think i have beween 40 and 50 of these kits.

Here in Europe ist quite hard to get them. The price is extraordinary high!

Today i have had another flight with my Rumpler. Weather was calm and conditions quite good. To fly it really controlled some improvements have to be made.

Currently it is extremely underpowered. I have a little 5g BL outrunner installed with only 85 g pullforce. With this samall engine it is really hard to keep her in the air! The complete plain with the 350 mA lipo has a weight of 133 g!

So you can imagine how occupied i was with my rumpler an did not take any fotos.

But here is a little video of an engine testrun. It is currently fullspeed!

Video Engine Testrun

I'am now looking for a bigger outrunner that fits into the narrow nose.

Has anybody an idear?
Last edited by pilatusb4; Oct 25, 2009 at 01:03 PM.
Oct 25, 2009, 04:56 PM
Registerd Beaver
Hi Pilatus, what is your prop size/pitch and the kv rating of the existing motor?
Hobby City is the place to go looking.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idCategory=220

Hey Bill, nice Storch too.
Another on my 'do before I die' list!

I have about 35 Guillow's kits roughly. All of which are on the same list

phil

Quick Reply