Oct 15, 2009, 11:18 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Finishing the conversion of my Guillow's Thomas Morse

... outside it is terrible wether here in germany. So we have perfect conditions to finisch my started Tomy:

Anyone converted and flown the Tomy?
Last edited by pilatusb4; Oct 15, 2009 at 11:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2009, 11:31 AM
Suspended Account
Wow, Is this a pre laser cut kit. It looks so clean none of that awful laser char! The joints look so nice I suspect it is a plan build (parts hand cut)
Very nice!

Friends don't let friends measure in inches,
Konrad
Oct 15, 2009, 11:34 AM
MPP
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
What's that next door? an Alby?

I built the Scout for FF, sorry can't really help. Nice work.

M
Oct 15, 2009, 11:45 AM
Suspended Account
Looks like a cabinet, or a Nieuport 11
Oct 15, 2009, 11:50 AM
Thread OP
Wow, what a fast reply!

Konrad, i see you have eagle-eys! The parts are cutted by hand! .. i think you are aware how long this lasted! I got an old kit from a good fried 1 1/2 years ago and i would not have a clear consience if i started these wonderful kit.
Oct 15, 2009, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
apsolutely true, it's the framework of the NieuportII ... perhaps project for the next winter!
Oct 15, 2009, 11:55 AM
Thread OP
i just looked for more fotos of the building of the framework:
Oct 15, 2009, 12:00 PM
Suspended Account
Thanks, But actually my glasses are about as thick as the bottom of a Coke bottle!

Again very nice work, much better than anything that came out of a Guillow's kit box.

I have one concern are you planing to only use elevator, rudder and motor control? While not as critical on a biplane I would look for more dihedral in the wings. I have to say I have not done a Thomas Morse conversion so don't act upon my comment. I know a guy that goes by HanksGB has done a very nice R/C conversion of the kit many years ago.

Can we get detailed photos of the landing gear? This is an area that even as a rubber band Free Flight model the kit is sorely under built (designed).

Hats off,
Konrad
Last edited by Konrad; Oct 15, 2009 at 12:05 PM.
Oct 15, 2009, 12:21 PM
Thread OP
Hi Konrad, ... think your glasses are quite good! Where did you get them? Perhaps i need the same soon!

... for the Tomy my challenge is to bild it as "scale as possible"! So, what is scale? Have allready seen so much nice Guillows Kits on the Net, so i'am flying on the wings of this spirit! Therefore i'm also planning to add ailerons!

Just started to build them.

I allways wondered which function on the guillows plan the "belcrancs" had until i found a foto of an original plane:

Roof of Thomas Morse

... so i decied to use them:

The landing gear is really an open topic! So my anwer would be to build it "as light as possible". Do you have any estimation how the weight could be?
Last edited by pilatusb4; Oct 30, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
Oct 15, 2009, 11:15 PM
confused poet
I built the Guillows Thomas Morse scout. It flew really well at 5.5 oz on a GWS 180 motor and 2 cell 750 lipo. I've see other examples fly at 10 oz i probably wouldn't go much more than that. Mine had the stock landing gear with scale bungee type of shock absorber.

Anyway I really dig yours and that scale aileron system. Build as light as possible and she will be a fine model for you.

looks really good,

Henry
Oct 16, 2009, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Henry, 5.5 oz (156 g) is really a challenge for me! How did you manage that with 2 750 mA Lipos? My two Lipos 2x730 mA have 43 g (1,76 oz). This is nearly 1/3 of the weight? The 10 oz give me realy a figure where the limit is. Where did you get the landing gear? Do you have a foto or link to show me?

In the meantime i have covered my ailerones an installed them ... or better tried to install them.

here some Details:
Oct 16, 2009, 12:05 PM
Thread OP

Covering and Installing Aileron

For the covering i use ECOSpan from Graupner, what is available here in Gemany. Its a light film (30g/mē). The great thing is that the available green color fites quite good to the color of some of the original Thomas Morse.
It will not be necessary to paint it after covering (exepting insignia etc) and the material is quite tearproof, what was testet unfortunetly with some crashes of other models in trees and hedges

The Film has no glue on it, so you have to apply the glue (ECOFix) at first on the frames. This saves weight! Has anyone an idear what will be the weight of painted tissue? The foil is fixed with an electric iron.

The material also can be used as the hinges! Therefore i first cover the front an read side with strips. Then attaching the foil to the aileron themselves.
Last edited by pilatusb4; Oct 16, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Oct 16, 2009, 12:14 PM
Thread OP

.. i hope you are not bored with these details, but they provide me so much fun!

... to connect the ailerons, the i cut strips of the foils that come from upper an lower side an will be glued to the upper wing frame.

The aluminium tube is also an hinge an makes it easier to connect the torque tube to the aileron. For appying very small amounts of superglue i use the the peak of an neadle.

Here is really litte amount needet on the right place! To much will demage the bearing!

What are you thinking about the covering? There is a kind of textil structure on it, but it is platic!
Oct 16, 2009, 12:22 PM
Thread OP

Bad Mistake!

Tests of the first finished Aileron show that the 1.5 mm carbon torque stick is to soft! I'm realy concened of that.

Just a litte force on the surface moves it about 1 cm!

When choosing the wire, i thought about that, but did not take to much care. Now it will throw me back!

... have to think about it!
Last edited by pilatusb4; Oct 17, 2009 at 11:36 AM.
Oct 16, 2009, 12:31 PM
Suspended Account
Have you had success with the small 1.5 mm carbon tube? I did much as you are doing on my Guillow Champ build but with 1 mm carbon tube and felt it was an utter failure.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7&postcount=96
I redid the torque tube with 2.6 mm carbon and feel it maybe adequate, just maybe. Now this is for an airplane I hope is only 115 grams.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=122
All the best,
Konrad

Quick Reply