This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 13, 2009, 02:21 PM
Thread OP
Gallery

Me and my planes

3 june 2010: am adding 2 shots: 1 of my most recent stick-and-tissue (well, it is plastic covering that looks like tissue), and another of 1 of my greatest experiences of my life. more details follow.
These shots are of me and some of my models. The place where i fly is a grass field, managed by the Sun Parlor Club of Windsor, Ontario, Canada, and is at about 30 minutes from home and the border to Detroit. I fly electrics only, at dawn, summer or winter, as long as there is no wind, or just a breeze. The plane that am holding is the Elf 1E, of 48" span, about 14 oz (400gr), with a Scorpion 28mm OD motor. The planes behind me are the 36" Elf by my shoulder,with a 22mm motor, the 48" Elf, and a 4ch, 32" low winger that I called the Gremlin, powered by a Park 250. The next photo shows the Talisman (yellow wing and tail), 24", 5oz, Park 180, and next photo is the Tramontano (red wing and tail), 30", 8oz (240gr), with a 22mm motor and folding prop.
5 june 2010: the plane with the red fuselage is the Aurora Boreal, 24"ws, my most recent design for stick-and-tissue style. it is basically a nostalgia free flight design, with radio gear. the challenge here was to try to develop an airplane with deep undercambered airfoil, that could manage wind-and it succeeded. the airfoil is 10% with 5% camber, sharp leading edge,and is very stable even in wind, and is fast (to my standards), with a flat glide.
about the photo of me in a full size sailplane, it was an experience that feels as if back in time, that i share with you somewhere here.

11 july
gloves?
if you look at the photo where am holding the elf 48", you will notice that am wearing gloves. that's not because am 'o so elegant' but for a good reason.
just as in some regions of america there are 2 seasons: winter, and 'road construction', here we also have 2 seasons: 'freezing', and 'moskitos', so i have to wear them to keep my fingers warm enough to control the plane in freezing times, or to avoid the fierce little beasts that like me so much that make me sick. for that reason too, even in hot weather i have to wear double clothing all over, because they manage to pierce me through single layers, and even i wear a kind of mask so i have only an opening to see the planes.
(but i don't want you seeing me wearing that).
all for the pleasure of flying my planes.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jun 01, 2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Adding data
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply