Feb 08, 2010, 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael f
I also meant to say I have a 55-6-18 Kontroniks, that I could use but its only good for 55-65 amps.
Michael
Should be fine. Mine is getting a 60A esc, running 5S and 13T pinion on the HK500 1600kV motor.
Not expecting any problems for normal flying, no 3D.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2010, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maabus03
I wouldn't get the typhoon 500 motor from hobbyking. It needs a 11t pinion to get the right headspeed and nobody can seem to find one. 12t pinion is too high of headspeed and will require you to adjust the throttle curve.
Other than that it looks good to me. You should look at the classified section for a better TX/RX though, I'm not sure of the quality of that one. If you have the funds available, a dx7 is worth getting now. That way you'll never have to worry about upgrading your TX in the future.
If you get a typhoon 500 motor you will want to run a 5S 3000mah battery pack...not sure what pinion size would be best???

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9263

Check out the reviews on this pack for more info.
Last edited by kctrading; Feb 08, 2010 at 02:03 AM.
Feb 08, 2010, 02:52 AM
Thanks Cosmic, just have to decide whether to wait for the K-Force or use the Kontroniks.
Feb 08, 2010, 08:39 AM
Hi All

I found the source of my bad tail vibration. The tail rotor pitch arm collar is not straight through the plastic sleeve. When the tail rotor turns, it oscillates slightly. It also makes the control arm move about .5mm back and forth. This would and was placing a massive load on the tail servo. The real bugger was that both my kits had crappy pitch arms.

I have now replaced the tail shaft, pitch arms with genuine TREX parts. I also put on a new genuine TREX metal tail rotor set (grips and hub).

My tail is now smooth.

The reduced vibration meant that I had to turn my gyro down 10% as it was working properly for the first time and my tracking is not as wayward.

As a side note, the tracking on the HK500GT is a bit unreliable. Some blame blades, some blame plastic washout levers. I personally think the plastic washout levers need replacing, but the dampers in the stock metal head are ridiculously soft. I put in some grey TREX 500 dampers and my tracking almost stays perfect. I reckon when HK finally get the metal washout levers in stock, this will be the last thing to making my heli fly smooth and reliably.

Mark
Feb 08, 2010, 09:25 AM
Gone Flying.
Thread OP
Mark -

I had the same issue with my 500GT in terms of blades not tracking. Replacing the dampers and the stock blades fixed the issue. Went carbon fiber on the blades and bought the high-end T-Rex 500 dampers from helidirect, but ultimately it was the blades that made a big difference. FG blades, depending on the quality, will sometimes flex too much at higher head speeds, making them go off track, especially if one blade has more flex than the other. I ended up installing the Align metal control arms on the head also, a little less slop in them but I wouldn't call them a necessary upgrade.
Feb 08, 2010, 10:49 AM
What servo arms fit the Turnigy 930 servos....jr, hitec/futaba, etc?

Thanks!

Brian
Feb 08, 2010, 10:51 AM
I replaced the dampeners and then used 2 different sets of the stock blades and both tracked perfectly without even a half turn of a clevis. I used them for everything including from forward flight, to piro flips, to tic tocs and they worked for me. $12 at heli direct.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb
Mark -

I had the same issue with my 500GT in terms of blades not tracking. Replacing the dampers and the stock blades fixed the issue. Went carbon fiber on the blades and bought the high-end T-Rex 500 dampers from helidirect, but ultimately it was the blades that made a big difference. FG blades, depending on the quality, will sometimes flex too much at higher head speeds, making them go off track, especially if one blade has more flex than the other. I ended up installing the Align metal control arms on the head also, a little less slop in them but I wouldn't call them a necessary upgrade.
Feb 08, 2010, 10:52 AM
Redjestird Youser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler
What servo arms fit the Turnigy 930 servos....jr, hitec/futaba, etc?

Thanks!

Brian
I tried some clone Futaba's since I had them around...loose. I'm thinking it might be a proprietary type. But the arms that come with the 930's work great for the 500 as-supplied, no need to replace them
Feb 08, 2010, 10:53 AM
Mine were all destroyed in a crash so I need new ones. Thats the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4
I tried some clone Futaba's since I had them around...loose. I'm thinking it might be a proprietary type. But the arms that come with the 930's work great for the 500 as-supplied, no need to replace them
Feb 08, 2010, 10:53 AM
Redjestird Youser
Bummer. Maybe some real Futaba arms fit better? Dont take my word for it though, I dont know for sure.
Feb 08, 2010, 10:54 AM
Gone Flying.
Thread OP
I think Tumbler is looking to get new arms, I'm betting some broke in the crash. The Futuba arms are generally a bit stronger but I'm not surprised they don't fit perfectly. Try searching around for "TowerPro" arms, more vendors tend to carry TowerPro products (outside of HobbyKing) so you might have better luck finding those.

EDIT - just did a search. Tumbler - looks like TowerPro does sell the arm set by itself, I'm betting other vendors will have them, try eBay also.

http://www.towerpro.com.tw/viewitem1...rea=50&cat=165

The Turnigy 930MG are just rebadged TowerPro servos, they are identical afaik.
Feb 08, 2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks man! hmmm. Doesn't look like the sell the longer star shaped arm though which is the one I was using.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb
I think Tumbler is looking to get new arms, I'm betting some broke in the crash. The Futuba arms are generally a bit stronger but I'm not surprised they don't fit perfectly. Try searching around for "TowerPro" arms, more vendors tend to carry TowerPro products (outside of HobbyKing) so you might have better luck finding those.

EDIT - just did a search. Tumbler - looks like TowerPro does sell the arm set by itself, I'm betting other vendors will have them, try eBay also.

http://www.towerpro.com.tw/viewitem1...rea=50&cat=165

The Turnigy 930MG are just rebadged TowerPro servos, they are identical afaik.
Feb 08, 2010, 11:13 AM
Gone Flying.
Thread OP
Tumbler - I sent you a PM. You're in luck as I didn't use my 4-sided arms, I used the 2-sided arms. I have 3 or 4, let me know through PM what you need and we'll work out the shipping fees which should be minimal.
Last edited by ChrisWNY; Feb 08, 2010 at 11:28 AM.
Feb 08, 2010, 05:21 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday~Mayday

Here is the system I have on my list so far for the 500GT, will all of this be good to go. Please give me a note on items I may need to change or improve on trying to keep it around the same price range please.

HK 500 1600kv motor $22.23

Otter 5A SBEC $5.98
I think some guys said that the motor not so suitable, but I think they really meant the 1800kv version. As far as I know the 1600kv version is fine on 13T or 14T on 6S.
I have a 1600kv myself for that reason.

Also, I have an Otter 5A bec on my bench, but I won't be using it in my heli as more noisy that the old Hextronic types. The 3A/5A Hextronic type is a safer choice I think.
Feb 09, 2010, 04:51 AM
Sussex, UK
As the new Turnigy 60 and 80A ESC now have a 3A switching BEC, why would you disable it and fit a seperate 3A BEC? That would just add extra complexity.

Quick Reply