Oct 12, 2012, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
Beenflying was telling me that he's had great success with this tail servo on a ZYX. I'm pretty much just using his 500 setup on mine with Mi servos on the cyclic and tail, YEP80A ESC etc.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14831

Just have to remember to not run these at over 280hz no matter what Blue Arrow's website says (the listed specs used to say 280hz max, then it changed to 333hz for some reason and people started having problems trying to run them at that)
I noticed that someone wrote about that 280Hz limit on all the HK product pages, referencing some discussion on HeliFreak. Unless I've missed something with recent ZYX firmware, however, that 280Hz restriction is pretty onerous, since setting the tail to 250Hz will set your cyclic servos to analog.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2012, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Beenflying was telling me that he's had great success with this tail servo on a ZYX. I'm pretty much just using his 500 setup on mine with Mi servos on the cyclic and tail, YEP80A ESC etc.

Just have to remember to not run these at over 280hz no matter what Blue Arrow's website says (the listed specs used to say 280hz max, then it changed to 333hz for some reason and people started having problems trying to run them at that)
Are you using them on cyclic and tail or a different one on the cyclic?
Oct 12, 2012, 07:41 AM
as much as I can
Quote:

That servo seems to be fine at 333Hz. Both the ones I had on my 500 ESP with the ZYX (replaced with a mini servo now) and the one still on my 550E with the HB800 work fine. I also bench tested them in the heli for quite long periods of time. Also, no sign of any excessive heat build up at the end of a flight.
Last edited by beenflying; Oct 12, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Oct 12, 2012, 07:49 AM
as much as I can
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC
Are you using them on cyclic and tail or a different one on the cyclic?
See here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=669
Oct 12, 2012, 01:43 PM
Dongskie
My HK500GT flew well without the fuse, but when I installed the fuse, it became somewhat sluggish....

Oct 12, 2012, 05:00 PM
The MD500 fuse is one of those that makes the heli twice as big unlike a jet ranger or airwolf. My 500 barely fits in the airwolf. Only used three spacers. My 450 MD looks almost the same size.
Oct 12, 2012, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying
That servo seems to be fine at 333Hz. Both the ones I had on my 500 ESP with the ZYX (replaced with a mini servo now) and the one still on my 550E with the HB800 work fine. I also bench tested them in the heli for quite long periods of time. Also, no sign of any excessive heat build up at the end of a flight.
Good to hear - and I would pay more heed to your opinion than one expressed on the HK pages....
Oct 12, 2012, 08:56 PM
agreed...+1
Oct 12, 2012, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
I noticed that someone wrote about that 280Hz limit on all the HK product pages, referencing some discussion on HeliFreak. Unless I've missed something with recent ZYX firmware, however, that 280Hz restriction is pretty onerous, since setting the tail to 250Hz will set your cyclic servos to analog.
"analog mode" just means a 50hz control signal to the servo. A digital servo operates as a digital servo no matter what speed the signal piloting it is. You can test this by hooking up an analog and a digital servo directly to an RX and then trying to push the arm off it's position. Even on a 50hz signal a digital servo holds it's position as if glued to the spot. Compare that an analog servo where you can feel the 50hz refresh rate on the motor when you push on the arm. The difference between an analog servo and a digital servo is basically that an analog servo only refreshes it's position in time with the control signal while with a digital servo the control signal and position refresh rate are independent and the position is refreshed at a higher rate than 50hz, usually somewhere between 120-333hz. 250hz, 280hz and 333hz seem to be the most common refresh rates used by digital servos.

I have never heard of an analog servo that could run at 250hz, 50hz-60hz is the maximum (you can push them faster, and it may even increase performance but it will damage them over time if it doesn't immediately smoke them)
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Oct 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Oct 12, 2012, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying
Did you also run the cyclic servos at 333hz?
Oct 13, 2012, 01:15 AM
Ive noticed that the scale-type fuses are an insane amount of drag. Even on a 600, its a noticeable difference in performance.
Oct 13, 2012, 06:47 AM
as much as I can
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
Good to hear - and I would pay more heed to your opinion than one expressed on the HK pages....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer
agreed...+1
Thanks, guys. You're making me blush.

Quote:
Did you also run the cyclic servos at 333hz?
No, the fastest I've run the cyclic servos is 133Hz on the ZYX. If you're using the 3GY v2, and you're worried about using 333Hz, then run them at 250Hz. You wont notice the difference.

FYI, I did run the HK28012DMG at 5.5v and 333Hz, on the bench for over an hour, with no ill effect.
Oct 14, 2012, 01:45 AM
I began my HK500GT build today. so I started dismantling the new head on my 500GT this afternoon and found the usual odd loose screw here and there that had been over looked when it came to locktite, as well as one faulty link rod that would just fall off. Anyway all that stuff is no problem. One thing though I am having trouble with is that the feathering shaft screws must have been assembled with red locktite at the factory and wont budge. Does anybody know if Hobbyking are greasing the blade holder thrust bearings these days? as I dont think I can separate these screws without destroying the head, and I would rather do that in flight other than that is there enough clearance to send some lube down into an assembled head?

Mick
Oct 14, 2012, 07:05 AM
Looptastic!
Hold a small soldering iron on the screw for a minute. You might be able to unscrew it then.
Oct 14, 2012, 08:12 AM
Only if you find it a lost cause and decide not to deal with it until your first crash. Find some spray lithium grease

Quick Reply