Jul 07, 2012, 01:20 PM
Lithium Member
F-100 fever at my field. I counted four of them in various stages of completion.

I met ThudGuy a few days ago at HP, and he told me about his latest setup for the FF F-100 which he says flies like a charm.

He also told me was flying real F-100's and F-105's over North Vietnam in the late 60' ...
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2012, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
F-100 fever at my field. I counted four of them in various stages of completion.

I met ThudGuy a few days ago at HP, and he told me about his latest setup for the FF F-100 which he says flies like a charm.

He also told me was flying real F-100's and F-105's over North Vietnam in the late 60' ...
Wow probably got to hear some great storys at my field everybody went from gas to electric 3d to helicopters to edf and now glidders ! I'm staying with the EDF's myself
Jul 07, 2012, 07:25 PM
Mil-Spec

EPO makeover

So I have been flying my F-100 for about 2 years now and decided it was time to put some time into detailing it beyond stock. I like the way it flies enough to put some time into it. I was gong to buy an EPS version and glass it but i decided to experiment with the EPO airframe I already have.

I have been inspired and educated by following this thread to try an EPO makeover. So I learned about Durhams water putty while filling in the panel lines. I also figured out the drywall sanding "Cheese Grader" makes a great EPO filing tool. It does not look like a glass finish by any means but I think it looks good so far. We will have to see how the paint finish looks once I get some color on it.

I hope to have the time to post my progress in my favorite thread.

Herb, it was great to meet you as well, when I visited the field several months ago everyone seemed interested in the F-100. Hopefully we will see more in the near future.
Jul 08, 2012, 08:24 PM
Name: f100 afterburner.jpg
Views: 217
Size: 157.0 KB
Description:
My Afterburner kit from rc landers installed and wired up , I like it and you can see it in the day light
Jul 09, 2012, 12:45 PM
Lithium Member
I picked up a can of that Durhams water putty at Lowes a few years ago and it was heavy as hell Is that what people use ?? To me it looked more suitable for a submarine ... Maybe there's more than one type (like One-Time indoor spackling compound) ?
Jul 09, 2012, 02:35 PM
Classic jets rule
think they mix it with something ....i think lite weight spakle is the way to go .
Jul 09, 2012, 04:22 PM
Herb:
If you use the Druhams straight out of the box it is rock hard and very difficult to sand. Mix it half and half (equal parts) with Dap light weight spackling. Then add just a llittle water to make it thin enough to put on with a foam brush (about the consistency of pancake batter). If you look back thru the thread, look for posts by "dionysus".He has some tutorials and an explanation of how to prep the surfaces, applying glass cloth and filling the weave on the cloth. I used his method on my FlyFly F-4 and the plane came out at 7 lbs 4 oz. (painted and ready to fly with 8S batts).

Ed
Jul 09, 2012, 05:05 PM
Mil-Spec
I am using the 50/50 light spackle water putty mix as A-10 described. I weighed the airplane before I started so I would know exactly how much weight this process puts on. The F100 had very deep numerous panel lines to fill so we will see.... Working on the paint and just ordered the custom decals so hopefully in the next few weeks it will be done. Next week there will be no progress so I will get as far as I can this week.

cheers
Jul 10, 2012, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoughman
I am using the 50/50 light spackle water putty mix as A-10 described. I weighed the airplane before I started so I would know exactly how much weight this process puts on. The F100 had very deep numerous panel lines to fill so we will see.... Working on the paint and just ordered the custom decals so hopefully in the next few weeks it will be done. Next week there will be no progress so I will get as far as I can this week.

cheers
How do you guys keep the spakle from cracking ? after all the foam has some give to it and spakle is like concrete I would think something with a little flex would be better .
Jul 10, 2012, 02:58 AM
Classic jets rule
the lite weight spackel is a bit flexable ...you can add a bit of water based polyurathane to it and it becomes more flexable ...not too much as it makes it harder to sand cleanly ..get too rubbery and balls up the sandpaper.
Jul 10, 2012, 01:42 PM
Official Boat Bum
Yeah, I agree. I've always had a harder time with WBPU and spakle vs other methods. Is anyone using Styrospray1000 straight on the F-100? By the time my order of the stuff came in I had already glassed and filled the surface the traditional way.
Jul 10, 2012, 02:36 PM
Mil-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1
How do you guys keep the spakle from cracking ? after all the foam has some give to it and spakle is like concrete I would think something with a little flex would be better .
I am concerned about the flex also especially since this is EPO. I did test after I finished the wing bottom. Flexed it up and down quite a bit and there were no cracks. Time will tell how it holds up. I'm betting it will work out considering the source... Dionosys
Jul 10, 2012, 10:57 PM
The one I'm building now is just going to have a paint job on it but I've got another one sitting in the garage just waiting to get rid of the nasty foam marks , I think this thing is one of the worst foam mouldings I've ever seen , But hey it will look good in the air !
Jul 10, 2012, 11:50 PM
3DHOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P
Yeah, I agree. I've always had a harder time with WBPU and spakle vs other methods. Is anyone using Styrospray1000 straight on the F-100? By the time my order of the stuff came in I had already glassed and filled the surface the traditional way.
I am trying the styrospray 1000 on my epo HTG L39 and I am very happy so far with how its comming out.....I'm sold on it..... here are a few shots of my progress....still painting though the wing is done.
Last edited by jcdfrd; Jul 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM.
Jul 11, 2012, 12:32 AM
Tin Can Sailor
Super nice!!!

Quick Reply