Mar 28, 2019, 11:20 AM
Retired CAD guy
On my 1st flight I had the EAC's right behind each motor.
THAT is a no no as Longer motor wires are ok but longer Power wires are NOT !

I smoked one of them and had to land with one engine out.

After putting the ESC's in the Fuse it never happened again.

Re Sound trak:
Peters' vid and trak were an EPIC addition to our hobby.
It added serious excitement and interest.

How petty are those "Celeb's" ? for cripes sake !

The more they display greed the more I vow to never pay !
Similar to ... the more they display political activism the more I swing the other direction.

as in ... I have NOT paid to see a movie in YEARS !
Last edited by birdofplay; Jul 09, 2019 at 08:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2019, 03:42 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
I picked up a trashed HZ DeltaRay; if the gear checks out would love to build one of these in the appropriate scale.

Wing loading on the DeltaRay is in glider territory (WCL=4), so with the brushed motors it might be unrealistic. I don't think I have a good way to test power on brushed. Can anyone with success post their wing area and AUW please? I can see where you are with cubic wing loading. Perhaps I can get away with it being in the trainer zone.

I like the fact that the rx brick will bind with my DX7...

Thanks.
Jul 15, 2019, 07:00 AM
more planes than brains
Another Twin is born. I built this one from Dollar Tree fb using the Guinea Pig plans. I was after a stable FPV platform that I could drop cargo from, this plane fits the bill. The flight characteristics are wonderful. I don't know how well it compares to the original as I have not built the depron version yet. This one does not fly heavy and has plenty of power in reserve. 40% throttle is about all that's needed to fly patterns. You can throw it around the sky and it responds well. Cargo drops are super easy with the removable "clam shell loading doors".

I made some modifications to resemble the C-82 Packet. I shortened the nose, extended the motor nacelles into twin booms and bobbed the rear of the fuse. My wife thinks it looks like a flying potato. The covering is monokote.

I want to build the original version next. I think I'll order a kit from birdofplay in the near future and avoid all the cutting.
Jul 15, 2019, 03:42 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote: I want to build the original version next. I think I'll order a kit from birdofplay in the near future and avoid all the cutting.

A good move. His kit will go together real nice.
Jul 15, 2019, 04:11 PM
Retired CAD guy
Thanks for the Promo Graham !

WOW ! Whiskers. That will be one of your largest planes !

Seriously, I have NOT sold one of those in Years.
I presume because of the FlightTest bunch and their well promoted, and highly funded site.
I never seen any other kit cutter be able to afford all the HD Video equipment and people to run it
and edit it and host it, and, and , .and ...
They and HK have run almost all of the independent Kit cutters OUT OF BUSINESS !
But I digress ... hrumpfff ......grrrrr

Peter told ME it was OK for me to cut TheTwins, but , I didn't get an exclusive
so I can't really complain as he was pretty tight with FlightTest .

BTW
Have you heard ?
I DID just get permission from jetset44 to cut the Polaris !!!
https://www.hoosiercutoutservice.com/planes/Polaris.htm

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout Service
Last edited by birdofplay; Jul 15, 2019 at 06:27 PM.
Jul 17, 2019, 12:52 PM
more planes than brains
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Seriously, I have NOT sold one of those in Years.
I presume because of the FlightTest bunch and their well promoted, and highly funded site.
I never seen any other kit cutter be able to afford all the HD Video equipment and people to run it
and edit it and host it, and, and , .and ...
They and HK have run almost all of the independent Kit cutters OUT OF BUSINESS !
But I digress ... hrumpfff ......grrrrr

Correction, You just sold "a twins" today. I am looking forward to building it. I think a Shark might be in my future as well. It looks like fun.

I'm not so sure if it's the FT folk's or more of the way things are going as time refuses to slow down and let us catch up. I'm old enough to have cut my teeth on control line. Being high on nitro fumes and trying to fly with bits of balsa glued to my fingers was just the way things were. We were the model builders and learned from magazines and friends. Those times are gone for the most part as today's young adults never picked up building in large numbers.

When computers and gaming became affordable/good in the early 2000's, hobbies that take time and effort became less appealing to kids and teens. Example: if you go to a model train show, the norm is people from there mid 40's to their 80's and little kids. There is a whole generation that missed out on building as they were busy with digital entertainment.

I think the FT guys are going after that next generation. They are in grade school and young teens for the most part. By keeping the cost very low, and materials local, it makes it attainable to kids. Most of them likely have parents that think a good RC comes from Walmart for $9.99. If you look at it from the point of view of a parent that knows nothing about RC, the kid shows them a video, they can buy $5 worth of foam board some glue and forget about it. But suddenly they have a plane that needs stuff and the FT website is ready and waiting and the stuff is organized for someone that knows nothing. They make the videos "family friendly" and appealing to the soccer mom demographic as well.

FT is reaching kids by the best means available, videos on YouTube as most kids would have a phone permanently glued to their face if they could. The videos look fun and exciting so kids get sucked in. My youngest found the videos and expressed an interest in my dusty airplanes that have not flown in years. Videos making flying look fun and easy are all it took. Luckily I know what to steer him towards as far as better planes as his skills progress. His interest forced me to slow down and set some time aside for building and flying again.

As kids progress in the hobby, hopefully they will out grow some of the FT designs and branch out to quality kits, balsa and much finer aircraft bringing the demand and support back up. The stuff they offer is really good to a point but IMHO entry level. Only time will tell, but the current state of the hobby for kit builders is very sad to say the least. I was looking to do some shopping and both the Pico Tiger Moth and Goldberg cub kits are discontinued but Chinese made RTF and ARFs are plentiful. That is depressing.
Last edited by 60buick; Yesterday at 10:57 AM.
Jul 17, 2019, 05:37 PM
Retired CAD guy
Turns out that all I currently have is a Depron Layout for cutting, soooooooo ,,,

As seen in the N E W layout below there will be 3 sheets of MPF used .

Will do cuttng tomorrow after CNC treatment.

L8r

Bob
Yesterday, 07:43 AM
I fully agree with 60Buick.

Pretty much anyone under 40 thinks RC is an instant hobby, buy an airhogs plane and that's the whole experience .
I couldn't afford kits when I started, so EVERYTHING was scratch built......I think I'm approaching 70 builds,including a Twins with rudders.
General aviation is going the same route, I'm 55 and the youngest at my local airport.
The RC field near me is mostly 65 plus,with a few younger people (50 and up)

I enjoyed building my Twin,my wing is removed with 1 rod and you turn it 90deg and lay it on top. The wires stay connected. From folded to flying in 20 seconds. Makes it easier to carry and transport.

Quick Reply