Jun 20, 2016, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton
Hi xzatx, I forget any elevator mix to smy photos you'll see I use split packs - a 2S pack up under the ESC in the nose behind the motor and a 3S pack in the cabin under the wing. They are connected in series (of course) to make 5S. I do this on all my F5D planes. It makes life pretty easy actually.

I F5D we mostly use 1800mAh packs, but when I was sport flying my Vipers I used 2200mAh packs and t here is plenty of room for them when you split them.

I like the Dinogy 65C packs myself!

Tim

Tim
thank you for the photo, the thread is really big and it's hard to find stuff in it, you have the post number? but that photo should do it.

did you wire your batteries permanently to work like this or you make a SERIES junction with the connectors you use? 2 males to female junction with connectors? i imagine it would be difficult to do that
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2016, 10:49 AM
"Have that removed!"
One thing you can do to find images in a thread quickly is open any image in the thread, then at the bottom of the image is an option to "Pics in thread." Click on that, then you can quickly scroll through all the images!

Here's the post:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1172

The leads on the packs are not permanently soldered together. In that one I used 4mm Castle Creations bullet connectors. You have to lay out the packs on your work bench how you want them in the plane, then cut the wires to the proper lengths accordingly. It's quite easy.

Tim
Latest blog entry: Latest blog entry
Jun 26, 2016, 11:36 AM
A short test flight

344km/h! - Stratair Viper F5D (1 min 57 sec)
Jun 27, 2016, 01:16 PM
In search of RC nirvana
Cool video! Although I'd like to see more Viper, less Doppler .
Jun 27, 2016, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy77
Cool video! Although I'd like to see more Viper, less Doppler .
thanks, yes....not much flying in that video, it was really hard to film it with the wide angle camera, impossible to see it on the video for most of the flight... need a cameraman and a better camera...
Jun 27, 2016, 03:01 PM
In search of RC nirvana
Are you wearing a hat cam? It seemed to be working fine for that one pass...
Jul 06, 2016, 03:13 AM
C0008 (4 min 25 sec)
Jul 06, 2016, 04:06 AM
The Prop is Where its At!
Nicely filmed vid!
Gd flying too,viper loves those turns
Jul 07, 2016, 06:47 AM
Speed Demon
She goes nice! Great day to fly and film too with all the clouds in the background.
Nov 02, 2017, 03:07 AM

will it work?...

trying to make an onboard video from my Viper... plan is to overlay the footage with sensor data, got sensors for: temp motor, temp esc, current, voltage, rpm, airspeed, altitude => power, energy consumed, potential energy, kinetic energy, efficiency etc

Total added weight is around 100g

I'm hoping it will fly ok with the added bits... had to wrap some lead at the front to re balance it... not pretty, but it works..
I've increased the drag, and reduced the max speed, but I'm mostly worried about the tendency to yaw due to the asymmetric drag from the pitot tube...
I think the elevator should be ok in the shadow of the camera.

what do you think, will I crash?
Nov 02, 2017, 04:56 AM
I am not sure how it will fly with that so close to the elevator - it might be ok. My experience was on a larger plane, I put a gopro on top of the main wing and I found that it lost elevator authority likely due to the turbulence caused by the camera.

I since put a mobius cam similar shape to yours, on the wing as it has a lower profile and I made a blue foam fairing at the back to make it more streamlined. Much better, I will see if I can find a picture of it. I put a video up of that one.

The other thing about mounting on the wing is that it is around the cg so you don't need to add extra weight.
Nov 02, 2017, 07:13 AM
thanks for the input!
regarding the camera location, I wanted it on the elevator for a better view of the plane. (I've already flown with a mobius taped to the fuse.)

Thinking more about the potential yaw problem, I think I'll add something to the other wing to balance the drag (and weight). I hope to try it in a few days time...
Last edited by gulbrandsen; Nov 02, 2017 at 07:21 AM.
Nov 02, 2017, 08:59 AM
I mounted my pitot tube, to my avionk in a similar way to yours but on the bottom of the wing I reached a speed of 217mph with no noticeable difference in flight

Edit: just noticed that yours is mounted on the bottom to.
Nov 11, 2017, 11:14 AM
I've had a few flights now, and it all went fine! It was slower than normal, but still fast.
Actually it is easier to land as it slows down quicker and sinks faster.
The controls were not affected.

I'm putting together a video with the telemetry data. The telemetry data from the Taranis is loaded into a javascript application I built and it is drawing the dials using HTML Canvas. I'll upload a video later. Here are some preliminary screenshots. There will be more data in the final video.
Nov 15, 2017, 02:14 AM
Last edited by gulbrandsen; Nov 18, 2017 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply