Oct 05, 2009, 11:00 PM
BDR
BDR
Just plane obsessed
Thread OP
Discussion

RCM&E Jan 1999

contained a free plan of the 'Flying Aces Sportster'. The back issue is sold out, and I have had no luck finding the plan from magazine collectors in my club. I would love to get a copy of this plan, can anyone help me out? I know there are a few western Canadians here, any one with this RCM&E issue? Thanks for reading.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2009, 11:17 PM
Gravity gets me down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR
contained a free plan of the 'Flying Aces Sportster'. The back issue is sold out, and I have had no luck finding the plan from magazine collectors in my club. I would love to get a copy of this plan, can anyone help me out? I know there are a few western Canadians here, any one with this RCM&E issue? Thanks for reading.

Flying Aces Cabin Sportster?
Free flight job?

here- http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/~idesign...4/fa-sport.pdf
Oct 06, 2009, 01:06 AM
BDR
BDR
Just plane obsessed
Thread OP
Yeah, I came up with that one too when I searched. This is a re-do of an old Flying Aces design. A mid wing 30's style racer kind of like this. It looks like it would make a good sport RC ship.
Last edited by BDR; Oct 06, 2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: picture missing.
Oct 06, 2009, 04:05 AM
RFJ
RFJ
Sure you got the right issue? The free plan in my January 1999 RCM&E is for an electric V-tail glider

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Oct 06, 2009 at 04:13 AM.
Oct 06, 2009, 07:53 PM
BDR
BDR
Just plane obsessed
Thread OP
That's a good question. I tried to refind that reference and failed. I couldn't locate an index of back issues either. But I did find this bit of information, the designer is Geoff Northmore, he has had several plans published. Also found this photo and write-up.
Oct 06, 2009, 07:56 PM
BDR
BDR
Just plane obsessed
Thread OP
I see that Geoff Northmore is an Ezone member but has not allowed contact by email or PM. Does anyone know if his plans are available anywhere?
Last edited by BDR; Oct 06, 2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: rephrasing
Oct 06, 2009, 08:01 PM
The plan you are looking for is in the Dec 99/Jan 00 edition.
Oct 06, 2009, 08:09 PM
BDR
BDR
Just plane obsessed
Thread OP
Warren, thank you very much! I will see if that back issue is available. Unfortunately you don't find out until you order and then it is like pulling teeth to get your refund. Don't ask how I know this. I think I will persue trying to contact Geoff.
Oct 07, 2009, 02:26 AM
RFJ
RFJ
Quote:
The plan you are looking for is in the Dec 99/Jan 00 edition.
RCM&E had just changed their previous weird dating system by this time (what genius thought that up) so there is no such issue. There is a December 1999 issue and a January 2000 issue but neither of them contain a free plan for the Flying Aces Sportster.

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Oct 07, 2009 at 02:34 AM.
Oct 07, 2009, 03:50 AM
I think the plan you are after is in the RCME vol 41 issue 13 ,pages 58 to 62, I have just found the plan aswell so will see about scanning it the next time I'm in Telford.
Chris
Oct 07, 2009, 04:16 AM
There must have been something odd happpening to UK magazines about that time. Aeromodeller was even publishing 13 issues a year (every 4 weeks?).
The issue in question is labelled Dec-Jan 99.
Oct 07, 2009, 04:20 AM
RFJ
RFJ
Well done Fubar, that's the one. The dates on the cover are 11th December 1998 - 7th January 1999. What a crazy system.

By the way, did you get the B52 link. Any use?

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Oct 08, 2009 at 02:48 AM.
Oct 07, 2009, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ
The dates on the cover are 11th December 1998 - 7th January 1999. What a crazy system.

Ray

Not being a synical at all, but the magazines arn't looking at selling 13 lots of advertising aswell as 13 mags per year are they ?

Re the B52 sloper I'm really looking for a good quality line drawing that give profiles aswell as fus cross sections Ray, i.e I'm still scratting around libaries etc.

Will pop into Telford either Thurs or Fri this week
ATB
Chris
Oct 07, 2009, 05:35 AM
RFJ
RFJ
Ah, I misunderstood. Thought it was a model plan you were after. Drawings should be easy enough to find.

http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/index.html Look under Plans/3vues.

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Oct 07, 2009 at 05:41 AM.
Oct 08, 2009, 01:23 AM
I think that the company owning RCM&E plus other mags back in the 90's were solely in the interest of making money from what I could see. The new(er) company seems to have settled into a much better system and the magazine has improved greatly. All of those I knew who were subscribers/buyers/collectors to Aeromodeller were driven crazy by the strange and erratic numbering and dating.

While whinging about that the company in those days they also owned the now defunct magazine Radio Modeller. Just to drive us to distraction with those they would start a build subject in one magazine but publish the continuation of that subject in the next issue of the alternative magazine. Once more obviously an attempt to assume we would/could afford to buy both.

RCM&E is significantly better now but part of the problem is that many magazines on a world wide basis have become absorbed into publishing groups. Most of these companies have little or no interest in any modelling subject only the concern to increase the bottom line. Perhaps understandable but a loss to us.

Quick Reply