Mar 24, 2011, 10:15 AM
Klutzsquatch

differential

Scott,

Thought it the other way on differential...up aileron more than the down one. Probably wrong, but sure someone will advise as to proper arrangement.

Mark
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2011, 10:19 AM
Oops, forgot about differential

I use it as well (actually, I think it might be called reverse-differential??), more down than up. Just makes turning a bit smoother for me, especially important for rudderless setups I think.
Mar 24, 2011, 10:34 AM
Matt Mabry
You guys have me confused That's not hard to do though.
I just got done reading my 9503 manual on differential and in there examples it is more up aileron than down. So which is it? I actually was using like 60% at the start of my session the other day but by the end of the day I was down to around 20%.

Matt
Mar 24, 2011, 11:35 AM
Matt,

Correct, that's why I *think* it's called reverse differential. I just saw it in the Hand Launch Master class and copied the Bruce, voila, it works
Mar 24, 2011, 12:43 PM
Matt Mabry
Ok thanks Thomas. I thought I was loosing my mind...again

Change subject just a bit but have you gotten anymore flights on the Mistral? Looks like a killer DLG.

Matt
Mar 24, 2011, 02:36 PM
No problem
Yes I have... I'll update it in the Mistral thread in a bit to not hijack this one
Mar 24, 2011, 02:41 PM
Matt Mabry
Great, I'll be watching for it.
Mar 24, 2011, 06:05 PM
upon banking an aircraft, lets say Left.

1)The aileron on the right wing goes down.
2) The aileron on the left goes up.
3) the aircraft start a roll to the left. THEN . . .
4) the aircraft has a slight "adverse" Yaw to the Right. Why you ask?
5) the aileron on the right wing along with the minor lift it generates, It is also a airbrake. Causing the "adverse" Yaw effect to the right.
6) Add a smidgen of left rudder and we have DRAG!!!! evil , evil drag.

So. 70% up 30% down I use on my other sailplanes.

just a thought.
Mar 24, 2011, 09:59 PM
It's a mere flesh wound!
Have you noticed that Mark Drela recommends to not use differential during thermalling?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...99&postcount=7

Buddy
Mar 25, 2011, 12:23 PM
Matt Mabry
Great thread just got started here> https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1410057

Ignore the plane depate (if you want), focus on the wealth of info that is spewing forth

Tons of great setup info. I just printed G_T's part I, part II, and part III. They are going in my reference scrap book!

enjoy
Mar 26, 2011, 03:57 PM
AMA CD and Turbine Check Pilot
Well I too got sucked in and bought one...

Started today - Decided the most worry-some part of the build for me would be cutting the holes for the aileron servos...

So I tackled it first with an Xacto and Dremel...

Done... Whew...

Should I setup the servos so neutral is a bit towards the trailing edge on the arms since more throw will be used for full flap?

And those of you with the newer surfaces and pre-slotted vertical stabilizer... Should I still cut a slot in the boom?

More questions later...

-- Warren
Mar 26, 2011, 05:04 PM
My solution for pulling the servo wires through....

The correct size heat-shrink tubing - Run it through the wing holes, put the pins/wire inside - Pull it through...

-- Warren
Mar 26, 2011, 05:23 PM
Hey - How do y'all mount the wing servos and how long of arm do I need on there?

I was thinking that since they are nice and snug I'd maybe use thin packing tape over them to hold 'em in in case I have to replace.

Everyone please come home from flying and assist me on my build!

-- Warren
Mar 26, 2011, 05:35 PM
Jack's Kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Hey - How do y'all mount the wing servos and how long of arm do I need on there?

I was thinking that since they are nice and snug I'd maybe use thin packing tape over them to hold 'em in in case I have to replace.

Everyone please come home from flying and assist me on my build!

-- Warren
Wow Warren you wasted no time at all on this!
On the install of the servos there are a number of ways. Personally I like using this sticky contact cement - wish I could remember the name! The company makes CA I believe as well. Anyway its like one of the spray glues but comes in a tube. (and no its not shoo goo) You put some on the servo and press it in the hole. Then you pull out the servo and let both pieces dry. Then shove the servo back into the pocket and it will stick tough! Then I cover the hole with a piece of packing tape. You might want to wrap the servos in some masking tape first to make it easier to get the servos out later. (youd slit the tape peel it open and pull the servo. Then pull the tape out of the hole). This allows the servos to stick firm but makes them removable.
Prior to this I simply used epoxy and glued my taped servos into the holes but it makes it much harder to remove the servos later should you need to.
-Scott
Mar 26, 2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the input Scott.

-- Warren

Quick Reply