May 15, 2010, 02:09 AM
Tim, hope to see you there.
Ates, lots of thermals at Mission as well. If the wind is going to be from the West, go. (Click on the photo below.)
Last edited by grep_rc; May 15, 2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: added photo
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2010, 10:54 PM
Thank you for the picture. It looks like when I went on my scouting mission, I way overshot the actual launch site I'll try to go out and fly sometime this week.
May 16, 2010, 11:22 AM
High Lift Coefficient
Ates,
On the club web site, there is clear directions and a map to Mission's launch site on the Maps page. There is also an guide for first time Mission fliers called Mission Peak Soaring Survival Tips on post #20 of this thread. PM me, Eric or Scott next time you want to go up there and need some assistance.

Sean
Last edited by Sailhigh; May 16, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
May 16, 2010, 05:18 PM

Saturday report

Windtalker said North-Northwest while I was approaching the fwy entrance, so I shot past it and went to a garage sale instead. Leaving that, decided I could use the exercise anyway so turned back and headed to Mission (flyme) Peak.
Ran into Gene and Albert (hope I got your names right) who said they'd been up there for 3 hours and were done for the day.
Flying the Radian, the slope lift was almost non-existent; went out looking for thermals; challenging, several times came up empty handed and had to bring it back in. Then the slope lift and thermals started picking up and got in some good flights.
So good, decided for the last couple of flights to use the Spirit. It likes to fly faster than the Radian, had some strange porpoising which I chalked up to having the CG too far back and then it landed itself, just after going over my head and into the sun so wasn't sure what had happened. Adjusted the CG forwards, did a control surface check, and launched it again. Well about a minute later, lost all communications, and it landed itself again...into a tree. :-( Not sure Ates needs this kind of assistance.
Called it a day, retrieved the remains (not too bad), and went home. You guys missed an entertaining day. :-)
Last edited by grep_rc; May 17, 2010 at 12:19 AM. Reason: photo tweaks
May 16, 2010, 10:20 PM
High Lift Coefficient

Sundy May 16th

A nice gathering of varied planes, from small woodies to slopers and scale, made it a very nice day on the slope.
May 21, 2010, 10:01 PM
High Lift Coefficient

5-21-2010

The forecast was too good to believe, 10-25 WNW! We headed up a bit earlier than usual and we're not disappointed. None of that Slermal stuff today. Strong slope lift all the way. Good thing since we only took slopers with us, no TD ship or floaters in sight.
May 22, 2010, 08:20 PM
I'll second Shawn comments. Conditions were as good as I have ever flown at Mission. I was able to get the Weasel as high I was willing to go and out in front as far as I wanted. I measured 10 to 22 MPH with 15 average. Great day out flying.
May 24, 2010, 01:25 AM

Days like this'll spoil ya

Another great day, mixed results at first but turned into something to remember! Great sloping with booming thermals mixed in. Towards the end of the day, the things that were going on in the air were so impressive...I forgot to grab the camera. :-(

Sean's sloper
100523_MissionPeak 033.avi (0 min 27 sec)

(more video - tbd)
Last edited by grep_rc; May 25, 2010 at 03:56 PM.
May 25, 2010, 12:24 AM

more video

Eric's sloper, open cockpit
100523_MissionPeak 035.avi (0 min 27 sec)

Dave's Supra
100523_MissionPeak 037.avi (0 min 16 sec)

Eric's sloper, cockpit still open
100523_MissionPeak 039.avi (0 min 35 sec)

Sean's Multiplex Lucky... pay special attention to the last few frames to get an idea of just how good it was!
(Oops... youtube says its a duplicate, hope to find the original.)
Last edited by grep_rc; May 25, 2010 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Bad link.
May 27, 2010, 03:48 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Continuation of short clips shot by Scott (grep_rc) who asked me to post it, as he was having upload problems with Youtube. Man that was an awesome weekend

Sean's Multiplex Lucky

Multiplex Lucky at Mission.avi (0 min 29 sec)
May 31, 2010, 01:16 AM
Thanks Sean.
Just missed Sean, Erik, and Dave (well, by an hour or so) but Philippe was still there flying his Fox, in the deteriorating conditions, upside down half the time.

Video is of Philippe flying his 2 meter Blade.

Philippe_trimming grass at Mission Peak.avi (0 min 58 sec)
Last edited by grep_rc; May 31, 2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Right click on video, choose, Watch on YouTube, for better video
May 31, 2010, 03:21 PM
High Lift Coefficient

Sunday May 30th

Sorry we missed you Scott. The day turned out to be better than we expected. We all brought out 3 meter planes and larger, knowing slope lift will be minimal. Phillip showed up when we were on our last flight of the day. Fun was had by all.
Aug 30, 2010, 11:15 AM
High Lift Coefficient

Last Sunday of August

Surprisingly large turnout at Mission yesterday given that there was a club contest on. Part of it must have been the weather bringing people out (saw 11 paragliders in one thermal as we were walking up the hill!) and partly due to Tim Candee calling a bunch of folks for a gathering. We saw folks who we hadn't seen in years and a couple of new faces. Interestingly folks are showing up later and later in the day and still getting some nice air this season. Good to see all the activity.

sean
Aug 30, 2010, 11:46 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
And no photos?

Brian, an EAJ
Aug 30, 2010, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan
And no photos?

Brian, an EAJ
Sorry Brian... brought my camera but forgot to pull it out.

Kyle show up with his big brother from Seattle in tow. By the time I left, the thermals were booming so strong you could have launched a cow patty and it would have flown like a floater, and Kyle's plane acted like it had a motor on it. (By the way Kyle, fancy bit of flying you did getting your plane out of that vertical dive your brother put it into! )