Mission Peak Flyers' Thread - Page 4 - RC Groups
Apr 16, 2010, 04:04 PM

A Chair Lift??

I was out Wednesday 4/14 in the afternoon. I was having dinner at a friends house so I timed the walk from the parking lot to RC nob. It took me 15 minutes at a moderate pace. Bring out your large stuff how hard can it be??

I had my Weasel out in 10 to 15 mph winds NW. I could fly out in front at launch height or above until I had trouble seeing which way my plane was going. It took about 5 seconds to get back. At times I was a good 100 ft over launch. I'd say the conditions were just about perfect. I got in several 15+ minute flights and had fun chasing the crows that were soaring in front. I did have two jackets on by the end but had a great time and keep my battery in the whole time
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2010, 01:42 AM

A chair??

Tim, glad to hear you made it up again, and sent your battery flying in the plane.

Didn't get started climbing towards the hill until after 4:00; on the way up saw 4 para-gliders, a couple, just hanging.... a good sign. The breeze was strong enough that you could just release the plane and up it went, like it was on a chairlift.

Some great thermals as well.
Photos are with my daughter's camera, the hawk and Radian aren't very sharp (in the original, you can zoom in and see the Radian, in the uploaded photo it just shows up as a white spot).
Last edited by grep_rc; Apr 22, 2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Uploaded photo lost details.
Apr 30, 2010, 12:10 AM

Flying Friday April 30

Anyone going out to Mission to fly? The winds look good and I was thinking to head up in the afternoon.
-tim
Apr 30, 2010, 11:58 AM
High Lift Coefficient
A few of us might head up there if the winds turn NW.

sean
May 02, 2010, 01:42 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Should had been windy enough today.

Brian, an EAJ
May 02, 2010, 01:57 AM

Mission Peak wind talker said West!

So I went. More like Northwest when I got there at about 4pm. But the only folks there (see below) weren't likely to laugh so I launched anyway. I mentioned a let-go-and-launch method I came up with last time, so took a video of one today:
Parkzone Radian Sailplane (Motorless) Launch at Mission Peak (0 min 24 sec)
(Yes, Brian, windy enough today :-)
In the video (taken with my left hand), the Radian gets out of the frame of a bit while my right hand scrambles for the controls after releasing the Radian...I need one of Eric's equipment trays.
Only had the winds and thermals stop for about twenty minutes, while it shifted to the West, and required one pick-up down by the poison oak.
Got (took) a chance and maidened the 2M Spirit I got from DeAnne, a lot different than the Radian but enjoyed it, and enjoyed that it survived the blind landing I did with it (no photos, battery died).
Last edited by grep_rc; May 02, 2010 at 02:14 AM. Reason: The spectators had gotten the best seats on the hill and made precise landing a must.
May 02, 2010, 02:08 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Scott,
We flew up there Friday and although the winds were blowing initially from N and flying was hard, it did switch NW and as it got a bit warmer, the thermals really kicked in. Tim Ellis joined us with his Weasle later on. The little plane flew surprisingly well. I flew the club racer most of the time and could have used ballast. By the time we wanted to leave, it was actually hard to land as the lift was so strong!

We're going to try it again today. Hope to see you up there.

Sean
May 03, 2010, 12:33 AM
Sean,
I couldn't get up there today but I hope you had better comaraderie and at least as much fun as I did. :-)
Scott
May 03, 2010, 12:35 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Not sure Sean is the cow type!

Brian, an EAJ
May 03, 2010, 10:15 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Slope Cookie? I seem to remember he called it by some other name! Something compound!

Brian, an EAJ
May 10, 2010, 01:26 AM

Left alone to ply the Peak

While some of the guys were shredding the coastal slopes on Saturday (nice photos!), I was minding the Mission. A great day, both blustery slope-able NW winds and terrific thermals. Had to dart the ballasted Radian into the knee high grass a couple of times to bring it to a stop. The more fragile Spirit didn't get any airtime but could have stayed up just as long as you wanted.
May 12, 2010, 04:56 PM
Hi all,

Is there a particular weekday that fliers favor for going to Mission? The reason I'm asking is that one of these days I would like to swing by at lunch time and try to fly my GL over there. I probably would need some guidance since I've never tried slope before. I have a relatively lightly built Gentle Lady (~23oz), I probably would need add some ballast. Any guidance is much appreciated.

Best,

Ates
May 13, 2010, 11:30 AM
High Lift Coefficient
Hi Ates,
There is no particular time or weekday per se. Mother Nature rules all aspects of slope flying, so when she allows us to fly, we fly. Call the wind talker for current conditions and lookout for NW winds. Your Gentle Lady will do just fine at Mission.

Sean
May 13, 2010, 10:11 PM
Weather forecast for 5/14 is 13 MPH NW I am going to be on the hill around 3:00 anyone wish to join?
-tim