Marc
Mar 11, 2010, 11:14 AM
High Lift Coefficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMarc
How did the Ka6 do?
Marc
Marc,
The Ka6 did very well. Put two flights on her. She may be foam, but flew like a scale sailplane. Low altitude, high speed passes and large loops were really fun. Had to cut the second flight short when I was doing some flap testing and the new style control horns pulled out of the flaps. No biggie, I landed and could have just taped the flaps and keep flying, but it was getting rather cold. Overall happy with the first outing.

Sean
Mar 21, 2010, 10:11 PM

2nd day of Spring flying

Couldn't get up to Mission Peak until about 5pm... wasn't expecting much since the report was saying 3 to 6 mph, but it was from the West. Launched anyway and was surprised to find thermals on nearly every flight.
Mar 22, 2010, 12:27 AM
∞ Boundary Layer
"The Radian is (barely) visible above and to the right of the turkey vulture, in front of the cloud, heading towards the top of Mission Peak. Some nice thermals today"

Was that a Radian without (motor/prop/batt) installed
Mar 22, 2010, 11:33 AM
No motor... hand launches only... the Mission Peak permit doesn't allow motors. Click on the link to my home page to see a close up of the quick and dirty job I did to get the radian flying without a nose. The Radian indicates and thermals readily... it got higher and most of the way to the peak last summer (though I didn't think I was going get it back down). It's been a great plane to learn on... just add gorilla glue and tape for repairs and you're set.
Mar 22, 2010, 05:46 PM
I really hope Radian will have a pure glider version as it is a really nice glider by itself.
Apr 02, 2010, 09:50 PM

Mission on 3/31

I went to Mission Wednesday 3/31. I got to the parking lot about 3:00 and was set up and ready to fly by 3:30. The wind was strong guessing 15 to 20. Several gusts hit me that required me to brace with my legs to stand. The Ed Levin wind talker said 8 to 22. I was flying a Weasel. I thought what is the worst that can happen. I walked a bit down the hill off the flat into the wind and waited for a while for a lull. I finally launched by throwing a bit down and straight into the wind. I'm a right handed thrower and by the time I got my right hand on the transmitter to control the plane it was at least 15ft over my head, pointed into the wind and starting to move backward

I was able to fly it for about 5 minutes before "landing it". It was a bit hard. After a few more flights it was apparent that I was on the edge of my plane and ability but having fun and getting better. Well, I did not carefully enough check my plane over because on my last launch I watched a square projectile fly down the hill and my plane roll like a piece of paper in the wind go over my head. Turns out I threw my battery down the hill. DOH!

Mission is a great place to fly. That was my first time flying there. Very pretty. Be aware there is poison oak near the nob on R/C hill. It's small but hidden in the grasses and milk weed.
-tim
Last edited by Tim.Ellis; Apr 05, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
Apr 03, 2010, 11:21 PM

Tim, welcome to Mission Peak

Glad to hear you survived your first visit and came away still thinking positively. Don't think too badly about launching the battery; today three planes suffered less than ideal landings (including mine), and we would love to be able to say we had launched our batteries ;-)
Look forward to seeing you up there soon.
Apr 13, 2010, 08:34 PM
High Lift Coefficient

Fun Fly link

Mission Peak Fun Fly March 2010 thread and pictures:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1202772
Apr 13, 2010, 08:38 PM
High Lift Coefficient

Weekday afternoon playing hookie

After the rainy weather had passed a nice post frontal system was hovering over the South Bay. The boys called and said they are on the way to the slope! From floaters to slopers, it was a nice afternoon of flying.

Sean
Apr 15, 2010, 12:12 PM
High Lift Coefficient

More midweek fun

Noel wanted to test fly his new Marauder TD ship on Mission, but a missing part prevented that. However he did bring his Gentle Lady, the winds blowing the right direction, so we decided to take advantage of this gorgeous spring day.
Apr 16, 2010, 12:21 PM
SOARMINDED

Soon !

Those last pics look like a scene from Germany !!! What a view and to get to fly at a place like that AWESOME!
Apr 16, 2010, 02:51 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
I am waiting for the park to put a chair lift there so I can bring some 4m scalie there!!

Brian, an EAJ