Apr 13, 2009, 04:39 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
People lug their 4 m stuffs up the hill?

Brian, an EAJ
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2009, 09:23 PM
High Lift Coefficient
It's been known to happen.
Apr 28, 2009, 06:40 PM
Here's my post for the Eagle tree systems altitude logeer. in order of the four flights I did on sunday. 817 feet, 218 feet, 654 feet, 983 feet. the unit is the altitude microsensor V3 from eagle tree systems. It's resets after 60ft or 18meter and records the peak of the flight.

Tim
Jul 05, 2009, 08:20 PM
High Lift Coefficient

Mission Peak Info

Attached is some information which discusses a number of often asked questions about flying at Mission Peak.
Last edited by Sailhigh; Feb 12, 2010 at 07:52 PM.
Aug 04, 2009, 11:47 AM
High Lift Coefficient

Summer flying

The weather has been particularly good this summer (so far!). Below normal temps have made the summer hike to the hill much easier and cool breezes have provided a comfortable stay on the hill. Thermal activity has been good as it is always during the summer, giving good practice at the art of Slermaling. A number of members have been taking advantage of these nice conditions. In addition Scott, a frequent hiker to park, has been hanging around us lately and asking all the right questions. Last time I saw him up there, he had joined the club and had a new glider with him. He was doing surprisingly well as a new flier. Welcome Scott.

Sean
Aug 04, 2009, 11:54 PM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy
I have purchased an Oly 650 laser-cut kit from Aerosphere (www.aerosphereonline.com) to build for flying at Mission; 2-meter (or similar size) gliders are great for the variable conditions.
Aug 21, 2009, 01:06 AM

Summer flying

Sean, thanks for the welcome and all of the recommendations and pointers that you and Eric offered. I can't think of a better group of guys and location to learn with... a couple of days, there were so many thermals it was like having elevators everywhere!

And Sean, thanks again for steering me towards an ARF and getting started quickly.
Scott
Oct 03, 2009, 10:02 PM
BUFF-USAF

Oct 3rd flying conditions

Tim and I went up to mission today (3 Oct 2009). Got there around 2:30 p.m.

Winds were from the west, aproximately 5 to 15 mph.

No thermals, very cool and consistant wind speed. Great for slope planes.

However, the Ole and Paragon managed quite well. We both had flying times over 45 minutes.

Dave
Oct 04, 2009, 01:11 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Dave,
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great day at the hill. Weather looking nice today, Dave Ruig and myself are heading up there. Would be good to see others.

sean

------------------------------------------

Update:

Well we did go to Mission today and the weather forecast was spot on. Initially the wind was SW so we waited for half hour. When the wind died down, we launched and headed straight into strong thermals. Then the winds turned NW as forecast and the lift kept getting stronger. It was a beautiful Spring like day with cool temps, blue skies and rolling puffy clouds. At one point during the flight time we turned around spotted 10 hang gliders! some were at cloud base. Dave was putting his new Supra through the ringer and I was trimming my somewhat new Kloudrider. Overall a fantastic day.
Last edited by Sailhigh; Oct 04, 2009 at 07:51 PM.
Oct 19, 2009, 11:54 AM
High Lift Coefficient
Couple of pics of Oct 19th activity at Mission
Nov 10, 2009, 11:14 AM
High Lift Coefficient

Weekend of Nov. 7/8, 2009

Eric and myself decided to take advantage of the post frontal system that appeared on Saturday to get some flying in. It was truly a great day at Mission with strong, smooth lift all over the mountain range. We had so much fun we decided to do it again on Sunday. This time Dave Ruig, John Bassetto and his wife Norine joined us. The wind was coming from the North and very gusty which caused some trepidation at the beginning, but we launched anyway and it worked out great. Due to the low sun angle, the lighting was great all day and Norine took some nice shots which are posted here.

Sean
Last edited by Sailhigh; Nov 11, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Dec 07, 2009, 11:21 PM
BUFF-USAF

Snow at Mission Flying site

OK you die hards! Dig out the skis and lets go flying!
Mar 01, 2010, 01:20 AM

Mission Peak Strikes again

Went up with my six and a half year old daughter and my foamy; met Philip who said it was his second time there in 15 years. Looking over the bay, there was a lot of marine mist, almost fog... no chance for thermals... wind was parallel to the mountains... almost North. Philip was busy launching a foam DLG. I launched my Radian, and got enough ridge lift to go looking for thermals... and found plenty. Shortly afterwards Philip broke out his newly finished f3j for it's maiden flight. As it whistled by one time there was a funny sound, I turned to see what it was and Philip said he'd gotten a bit close, it was the sound of the 4 inch grass getting cut by the wing! :-0 Philip was sold, said he'll be back and join SBSS, he'd apparently gone to the September meeting... come to think of it, didn't he bring his daughter and plane to that meeting? Soon after my daughter complained of being cold and started down the hill by her self, I landed and called it a day, as did Philip. Another surprisingly good day at M.P.
Mar 07, 2010, 11:28 PM
High Lift Coefficient

Spring flying is here

Forecast looked real promising and a bunch of us headed up the hill. Scale was the theme of the day. The slope was flyable all day for the lighter stuff, but it really picked up around 3 pm. With Eric tearing it up with his DG-600 and Tim and Dave flying the Ka6 high above, I decided it was time to perform the maiden voyage of my new Ka6. An excellent day to kick off the slope season.