Jan 26, 2009, 03:05 AM
High Lift Coefficient
Thread OP
Discussion

Mission Peak Flyers' Thread

This morning started really windy and when I inquired the robot on Mission it reported winds W 22mph! Verified info with the Weather Channel and it was agreeing with wind all day blowing WNW. Got the other guys on the line and all said it's a go! Been a loooong time since we had these conditions at the hill. Of course when we got up there, it was cold, windy and a nice shower greeted us for 15 minutes or so. Slowly the heavens opened up and we had a beautiful skys for the rest of the day. At one point we could count 10 Hang gliders flying above us!
Last edited by Sailhigh; Jun 17, 2016 at 03:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2009, 11:48 PM
BUFF-USAF

Mission Trek

Well we started out to fly at mission today, however the winds did not favor us at all as they were down the mountain!!!! So we went a trekking and found ourselves on the backside of Mission Peak. Sean, Eric, Tim, Dave and Dave the new guy. We had a great time flying. While we were flying, someone in a china war bird flew over. He made a lazy "S" pattern around us and headed towards San Jose. Soon he made an about face and flew back over us, performed and Aileron roll and flew off towards Livermore. I guess he just wanted to show us what it was like to have real power.

Lift was abundant, my stick time was 45 minutes!! It's tough to get the kind of time off a winch launch.

So for all you land guys that don't mind a little walk, come try out Mission Peak.

Regards

Dave C.
Feb 15, 2009, 08:55 PM
BUFF-USAF
Hey you Mission flyers. I think that I found a photo of the plane we saw at the top of the mountain. Let me know what you think

Dave C.
Mar 23, 2009, 12:58 AM
High Lift Coefficient
Thread OP

March 22nd 2009

The post frontal system that was to hit the Bay Area over the weekend looked promising for some slope flying . Forecast were for WNW 15-20, but in reality the winds were a lot higher in the morning gusting close to 40. After much deliberation Eric and I decided to go up in the afternoon when the cold wind would die a bit. When we got up the hill, the conditions were just right for some serious fun. Excellent day of lift, unlimited aerobatics and high speed flying and no damage to boot!
Mar 23, 2009, 10:17 AM
What's goin' wrong?!

Sunday 3-22-09

YEOW! Mission Peak was about as good as it can get yesterday! All the airport ATIS (air terminal information service) from Reid Hillview, San Jose International, Hayward, Oakland, and Moffet Field wind reports at about noon were reporting high teens gusting to over twenty five MPH out of the west. Late last week Sean and I separately reached the same conclusion about Sunday's forecast: It was bound to be good. I called Sean Sunday morning at about 10:00 and he said it was very windy at his place. He questioned whether it would be a blow-out. I called again at about 12:15 and he was not too thrilled, but he said "it's up to you." I figured we'd give it a try.

It looked promising as we walked up the trail. There were big cumulus clouds over the entire mountain range. Sean and I got there and began flying at about 2:20 PM, and we were stoked. The lift was cycling a bit, but overall, it was nearly unlimited and continuous. We each got about an hour of flying accumulated over the hour and a half that we were there. All the landings were back on top, and the airplanes were unscathed!

We were cooling off standing in the wind so we quit flying at about a quarter to 4:00. We were both grinning as we drove away.

Eric
Mar 23, 2009, 12:14 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
It can't be that good if Eric did not put on his thermal coverall!!

You know when he puts on that suit, you can soar a manhole cover or a M-1 Abrams !!

Brian, an EAJ
Mar 23, 2009, 02:29 PM
What's goin' wrong?!
Brian, I put on the insulated suit after about ten minutes of cooling off after the walk up the hill. I even left it on for the walk down to the car. I returned to being quite warm after that!

Eric
Mar 29, 2009, 11:06 PM
Went to Mission Peak today with Eric E, Sean S. Dave and Tim C, Marc and small cattle herd with us on top of hill. Was first time for me and Sean was great coach. I only had 2 flights with my Gentle Lady in gusty northerly winds, but had over an hour+ stick time. Lots of green grass and cow pies. Nice views across Bay.

Noel
Mar 29, 2009, 11:09 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
And missed the Great SBSS March thermal contest? Weather was good (for me). I got all my time, 10, 10, 15.

Brian, an EAJ
Mar 29, 2009, 11:23 PM
Sorry I missed you, Brian. You're the best timer and coach. Besides I'm forever grateful for your bringing in the GL with the broken wing after the mid-air with the Wizard's composite!

Noel
Mar 29, 2009, 11:27 PM
Brian, sorry I missed your timing 'n coaching. I'm forever greatful for your bringing in my GL with the broken wing after the mid-air with Bob S's composite 2 month's back.

Noel
Mar 30, 2009, 11:49 AM
High Lift Coefficient
Thread OP
Great flying day at the slope, although it didn't seem very promising from the parking lot. The winds changed direction as we were walking up the hill. The day turned out to be not too cold like last weekend. The cows were enjoying the view just as we were. Of course they were occupying our launch site. They were shooed off to the other side of the hill where they could observe and judge our landings. Looked like the peanut gallery at Los Banos.

Noel had a real good first day on the slope. He was heard more than once saying "This is great!!". I think he is hooked

Dave, the pictures turned out great.

Noel, Good to see you in the forums.

Sean
Last edited by Sailhigh; Mar 30, 2009 at 11:54 AM.
Mar 31, 2009, 09:44 PM
It was great out their and windy too. Got to fly my pilatus and broke the spare. it will be back for Los Banos. I did get a full one hour and a half of straight flying time on the slope thermal conditions. That's the most I ever did for continus flying time.

Tim
Apr 13, 2009, 04:01 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Thread OP

Los Banos Prep

Easter Sunday was a beautiful Spring day up at Mission. Fliers showed up to check out some of their preparation and repair before the Los Banos event. Great slope and thermal conditions greeted all.

sean

Quick Reply