Oct 03, 2009, 07:30 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Chip Hyde House Fire

I heard today that Chip lost his home to a fire, anyone else heard this? It burnt to the ground.

RCNXS
Last edited by rcnxs; Oct 06, 2009 at 07:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2009, 07:40 PM
It was Chip's house and from what people are saying it was due to a power supply not lipo

http://www.kgun9.com/global/video/fl...o&rnd=67830268
Last edited by ambientech; Oct 03, 2009 at 07:47 PM.
Oct 03, 2009, 08:27 PM

How was it caused

I'll be in Tucson tomorrow. I'll go find out what happened, unless I feel I'm intruding
Oct 03, 2009, 10:05 PM
"Plays around with remote controlled airplanes"

Gotta love the media...
Oct 04, 2009, 11:54 AM
hey you have them give them some credit ; they can actually READ from a teleprompter
Oct 04, 2009, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icrashrc
"Plays around with remote controlled airplanes"

Gotta love the media...

Rather them report it like that than "One of the best RC pilots in the world falls victim to these dangerous toys..." That would do wonders for getting people into our hobby
Oct 04, 2009, 12:18 PM
Fully Sending It
^Yeah, them blatantly staing a grown man "plays" with model "toys" is ust being stupid. If only they knew Chip's experience and power in the hobby.
Oct 04, 2009, 12:32 PM
Pro Bro #1008
Wow..maybe a paypal benefit/trust would be in order...he is gonna have a helluva deductible and we should pray that his homeowners policy is with a reputable carrier!

Everyone needs to pay attention..this could be any one of us..Thank goodness Chip and his family were not injured or worse.
Oct 04, 2009, 09:43 PM
Flying motor mount master
Wowie when a big name like Chip Hyde goes up in smoke be rest assured that many folks will start panicing and start rebuilding those cold war nuke bunkers!

The news guy saying "the guy who plays with remote control planes" made me laugh. I guess he's the guy who says "be careful with charging batteries with a roof on your garage"... wt
Oct 05, 2009, 06:53 AM
Pirouetting flip master
i wonder how many tonnes of lipo inside...
Oct 05, 2009, 07:59 AM
Suspended Account
Thank God no one was hurt ! Houses and model planes can be replaced - people cant . As bad as it sux to loose your house to a Lipo at least his family is Ok . I wish Chip the best of luck on his home rebuild
Oct 05, 2009, 07:45 PM
FASST flyer
That's terrible! Very sorry to hear that. Thank goodness no one was injured.

Anyone heard anymore about the cause of the fire? Was it indeed a lipoly accident?
Oct 06, 2009, 06:48 AM
A lot of people here are going to be really disapointed if it turns out that the fire had nothing to do with LiPos.
Oct 06, 2009, 07:03 AM
The Great Santini
Would be interesting to know if it was a purpose built or PC supply, and what it was, if that was indeed the cause (what was on the charger and how it was set up, since the reported said something about wires..). Too bad. Same kind of thing happended to Fred Bronc a while back. Charging unattended in garage, no more garage. I don't recall if his was a batt or charger tho that failed.
Last edited by Santini; Oct 06, 2009 at 07:09 AM.
Oct 06, 2009, 07:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Weaver
A lot of people here are going to be really disapointed if it turns out that the fire had nothing to do with LiPos.
I heard from a source very close to the story but you never know what the root cause may be. I edited my header to "house fire" instead of "lipo fire", I think I will edit the body of my post and we will just see what the official cause is when it comes out.

Honestly I hope it wasn't lipo's. I keep a dozen or so stored in my garage but in a fire safe and I never charge unattended. I certain'y wouldn't call myself afraid of them; just know their makeup and handle with care. You wouldn't store an open can of gas next to your gas fired water heater. We just have to use a lot of common sense and some basic safety rules to avoid a major catastrophe.

RCNXS

Quick Reply