What's the difference between trailing edge and aileron stock? - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Oct 03, 2009, 07:27 PM
Registered User

What's the difference between trailing edge and aileron stock?

I'm building my own ailerons and flaps for a flat bottom glider wing. I need stock material that makes a right triangle, instead of an isosceles. Would that be trailing edge, or is the difference something else?

By the time I round off or bevel the edges on the hinge side, I don't know if it's really going to matter anyway.

Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2009, 08:02 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
Thermalin's Avatar
I believe the trailing edge is an all inclusive term covering the fixed and moveable portions with the movable portions have secondary names, ailerions, flaps, etc.

You should be able to buy ailerons stock in the right angle form which is what you want with a flat bottom wing at your LHS.
Oct 03, 2009, 08:13 PM
Registered User
I'm looking at www.balsausa.com and they have both trailing edge and 90 degree aileron stock. The latter is the one I'll get.

Unfortunately, the local hobby shops I've been to don't carry aileron/trailing edge stock.

Thanks for the clarification.
Oct 04, 2009, 06:09 AM
Registered User
vintage1's Avatar
you should see FrannyB's amazing article on the Valkyrie build in the vintage forum and how she sanded the T.E.

Essentially, in your case, strip the wood you need to the correct width, and glue some wire of the correct leading edge and trailing edge thickness to a board, slip the strip between, and block sand down to the wire.

It would take less time than a trip to the LHS. And you get perfect results exactly the way you want then.

Its really SO easy to make jigs and really, its the difference between an amateur and a pro. The amateur is disappointed that his hand isn't steady and his eye not micron precise. . The pro accepts that his is not, and finds a way to minimise the problem.

In my youth, I used to cut printed sheet with a knife. No one ever told me to cut oversize, sand back, and make notches with a file. I thought I had to be perfect with the knife..
Oct 04, 2009, 10:17 AM
Registered User
Well, I know in going through the older catalogues and standard shapes that Trailing edge strip stock is sort of Trapizoidal, and aileron stock in sort of triangular. Thus you get three side versus four in the specifications.

I obtained a big quantity some time ago as the wood miller said my shape required was obsolete. They don't make it that way any more. So substituted in modern stuff and cited on plans to modify the T.E. to resemble. Can't use one for the other purpose. Ran into this situation more than one year ago, when a Mfg'r was interchanging termonology. He was making aileron stock and selling it as BOTH T.E. and aileron stock. They broke one constant used fixture. Apparently no one complained for the did so like 3/4 of one year.

There IS a difference.

Oct 05, 2009, 09:52 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
Thermalin's Avatar
Vintage.. i have used the technique but just masking taped the rods to a board and the trailing edge wire needs to be near the edge of the board so the sanding block can overhang. As long as the tape goes just about all the way around, then it will hold. I use tape so i can re-use the wires. I second that this method works very well for turning rectangle stock into trailing edges.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what's the difference between g1 or g2 tp lipos? thexfiles Power Systems 2 Jul 02, 2004 04:12 PM
What's the difference between these two LC 400/480 motors... flipnidaho Power Systems 0 May 04, 2003 09:40 AM
what's the difference between a buddy box and a trainer cord? omega blood Radios 5 Apr 12, 2003 07:35 AM
What's The Difference between Cells? CheChe156 Power Systems 3 Feb 13, 2002 06:26 PM
What's the difference between F3J and AMA Thermal Duration & a short story... tempest411 Electric Sailplanes 4 Oct 18, 2001 02:20 PM