Oct 03, 2009, 05:53 PM
Question

Slow Poke Sport 40 Build?

My flying buddy wants to get back into building after 20 years. He is interested in a "Slowpoke Sport - 40". I am not familiar with that plane and no one in our club has one. My buddy and I are experienced builders so that is no problem. I am interested in finding out if the Slowpoke would be a good first low wing plane. Can anyone give us some feedback? FYI - I just bought a Phoenix Models "Dolphin 40" to practice my sport flying with and what a super plane it is for a reasonably priced ARF.

Modelmaster2001
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2009, 09:48 PM
B for Bruce
I'm not sure about the Slo Poke Sport but the original Slo Poke with a .40 is the devil's own design. Much like the old Flying Flea it is a delight when flown within a rather narrow speed envelope. But speed it up a little with too hot an engine or in even a shallow dive and it suddenly wants to tuck to a vertical lawn dart mode and will not pull out on its own without a healthy application of up elevator.

This issue can be beaten but it requires a stupidly forward CG location, which spoils a lot of the fun, or a switch to a much lower pitching moment airfoil. It has a flat bottom polywog airfoil on it now but a switch to a Clark YH airfoil with the upsweep at the trailing edge and generally lower camber SHOULD take care of this tendency. NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT THE REGULAR CLARK Y YOU SEE EVERYWHERE ! ! ! To see the shape you and he can download Profili2 from www.profili2.com and use the freeware version to view and print out the airfoil.
Oct 07, 2009, 05:47 PM
Dear BMathews- Your are undoubtably correct about the original "Slow Poke" with a .40 sized engine which is designed as a .25 sized plane. However, the SP "Sport 40" , from the few old posted reviews I could find says it is a sweetheart. I am trying to verify the merits of the Sport 40 because my flying buddy has had a rough start getting his "flying fingers" back after a 20 years out of the hobby. Twice, trees jumped up and grabbed his trainer, (our field is surrounded), and he is getting discouraged.
Last edited by modelmaster2001; Oct 08, 2009 at 07:59 AM.