Oct 03, 2009, 12:28 PM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Thread OP
Discussion

Build Log: Monogram "build'n fly" DHC-2 Beaver

Found this gem on ebay a few months back. I collect speedee and other vintage kits and so far we have a depron P-47 flying. I figured this project would be easy to build in depron. Entire airframe was built in one evening. The original kit has paper laminated on to balsa, i considered trying this on depron but figured that the glued paper would add too much weight and warps. Just going to airbrush on paint in the same theme as the printed paper in kit. I tried to mold the cowling using some featherlite resin but resin was beyond its shelf life. It will be lighter to just carve my own cowl anyway. Im going to try it with the guts from a vapor, i think it will fly well on this set up. More photos to come.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2009, 03:24 PM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Thread OP

done

All done, long time waiting for calm weather to test. I tried using vapor power system but would only do a long glide. I could tell i had a winner though. Used the micro sukhoi power system and now flies great. Needed the extra nose weight anyway. All in all looks good in flight and handles really well.
Oct 30, 2009, 09:48 PM
Woof. Arf. Angle of Attack.
Looks great! Terrific finishing job!
Oct 31, 2009, 12:53 AM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Thread OP
Thanks, i was trying to keep true to the theme of the kit itself. Turns out that bright orange is great for near dark flights. This thing flys like its on rails, in same size class as sukhoi and p51. Good flyer all around.
Oct 31, 2009, 07:12 AM
What goes up must come down..
I am very impress! it looks the same as if it would have be laser cut parts, can you share with us some of the spec's. I am working myself on a L-19 Cessena BD and want to use the same elctronic's, I like very much the tougue and groove fit makes goos aligment + add a lot of rigidity without weight penalty + a small airfoil and good wing/chord ratio.
To me it's another 5 starts out of 5 here.
Congrats!
Roger B.
Nov 01, 2009, 04:06 PM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Thread OP
Hey there, thanks. Turned out really well, Ill get some specs soon. Was going to use under cambered wing but decided to go with a thick flat bottom depron wing. Can fly pretty fast and slow and no real bad habits noticed yet. Sukhoi power system was perfect match.
Nov 02, 2009, 12:37 AM

You mean there was a kit?

And I did it the other way.

Hey great looking job. Here's mine.

Looks like I'll need a bit more time on her to match your expertise
Nov 05, 2009, 10:44 PM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Thread OP

flight photos

Flying great, flys like a big model. In the air i forget its so small. Lw
Nov 06, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Thread OP

more photos

more photos
Nov 17, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Thread OP
link to video, it was a bit gusty but not a bad vid.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post13606670

Quick Reply