Oct 14, 2014, 07:03 PM
I have on is 91 fs pumper on mine
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2017, 01:42 PM
Unterwerfen Sie sich der Gewal
Raising the dead here... this thread died about the time I started getting into RC planes.

Anyone still flying theirs?

Had my son with me to act as the camerman so thought I'd share:

RV 8 Maiden (3 min 41 sec)
Sep 12, 2017, 07:43 AM
Yep Fly mine all the ... its a Great flying plane.. mines getting a bit beat up im thinking about tearing it down ad recovering it
Sep 12, 2017, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard
Mine seems to fly awesome.. But I keep having troubles with what seems to be slow speed tip stalls.. Almost augured it in 3 times...

Keep some speed and its fine. But on final. All goes to hell
let me add this

I found that my wings were pretty twisted.. both had wash in (wingtips down) I fixed that and added a touch of wash out (ailerons up) and tips stalls are no longer a problem at all.. full flaps off the throttle it just floats in..
Sep 19, 2017, 11:37 AM
I've had several ARFs that required some correction to take out wing warp. This model was purchased used from another member so not sure if anything had to be done to get it to fly the way it does but I think it is perfect how it is.
Dec 24, 2017, 05:35 AM
Dang flipped it over landing on the grass busted my canopy... Any ideas? Long out of production....
Apr 12, 2018, 04:10 PM
bought it for a bargain two weeks ago.
160€, including motor (eflite power 60A), ESC (eflite 60Amp), and servos (Hitec analogs) and a 15x10 prop, which is quite ceiling fan on this thing.
I put my AR9350 Rx in it, calibrated all the throws and waiting I'm currently for my cg-scale to arrive, seeing as flipping the model on my thumbs might be good enough for foamies, but I'd rather not take any chances with this.

I will power it with 2x 3S tandem Lipos, 2400mAh each. Flight time will be very limited(4-5 minutes), but they will have to be enough until I can afford some higher capacity 6S batteries.

The way I estimated it from the original review, my take off weight is somewhere at 3,36kg.
It'll be roughly 3,5kg once I get a hold of 4000mAh 6S batteries.
That'll equate to 70-75 g/dm2 of wing loading, depending on the batteries.
I've got people telling me that wing loading isn't that great of a concern with models of this size and wing profile.
Others say it definately still is a factor.
I reckon she won't be a floater but I really can't tell until I maiden her.
All the videos I've watched seemed to show rv8s with a more moderate(recommended) power train.
I started with the eflite Timber last year, quickly trasitioned to a 1100mm T28 from elevenhobby. While I'm not quite as comfortable with complex inverted flight, 4 pointers and knife edges, I wanted something bigger and shinier, even if it's just for pattern flying( I mean pattern as in traffic pattern).
Someone tell I'm way in over my head.
Maybe the knowledge of it being a balsa model, thereby making any serious mishap a potential for catastrophe, compared to the foamies I just glue (Timber survived a hard landing after an accelerated stall, T28 got dumbthumbed into the ground while flying inverted, won't be doing that any time soon) makes me all nervous
In any case, wish me luck!
Apr 16, 2018, 04:39 PM
Maidened her tonight, 35 minutes to sundown.
I actually intended to merely do some further taxi testing and cg calibration, but to my surprise she lifted off effortlessly waaay before I thought she would. So the taxi test on our Gras turned out to be an unintended take off roll.
As soon as she was in the air I throttled back to put her down, but she floated at what I guessed was 20% throttle.
I only had roughly 20 yards of mowed gras to put her down so I cut the throttle completely and tried to flare accordingly. By the time she came to a stop, she had already rolled a few feet into unmowed gras and tipped on her nose, rocking back and forth.
Nothing serious, just a classic ugly high gras landing.
I thought, what the hell, and maidened.
Repositioned on the other end and throttled up.
She tracked flawlessly on the short cut gras and took off within 15 ft, easily.
Mind you this is a 6S setup!
She seems fairly dodgy along the pitch axis, as reported in previous post.
Either I値l move the cg forward, though I don稚 know how, since I only fly with 2x 3S 2400mah fully forward, or I値l adjust the elevator throws/ expo.
She easily flies level with 40% throttle.
I lapped our field twice before landing.
Even though I reduced throttle to 1/4 , she would not lose altitude as my 1100mm T28 would at this point.
I知 guessing the power setup is just too much.
15x10 airscrew puts her at 1.18 thrust ratio on max power. Guessing minimal throttle will still have enough thrust to happily deny any care free approaches. I had to nose down with elevator to get her on the to where I wanted before cutting the throttle and flaring.
I grinned like child, as I just maidened my first 7,5 lbs balsa model and didn稚 take it home in pieces!
After I touched down, the sun was already pretty low and I called it a day.
I値l have another go tomorrow, provided the weather plays along!
I値l keep you posted!
Apr 16, 2018, 04:55 PM
Congrats on the maiden. I run a similar power setup but didn't see you mention using flaps so... flaps are your friend on this plane I was pleasantly surprised how easy this plane is to fly. After the maiden I wondered why I waited so long.

The size intimidates but after now having flown a few planes this size and larger I have to agree that it's true what they say about bigger flies better.

I also have the smaller e-flite RV-9 and the handling characteristics are uncannily similar except for the momentum which is obviously more pronounced in this version.
Apr 17, 2018, 02:17 AM
Well, I didn't need the flaps
She took off and floated easily without them. Granted, the approach was fast, but I attribute that to my throttle afinity (something I think is safer for when I don't know a model too well. I can go around or power out of botched approaches morer easily)
I will definately tinker with the flaps today though, with enough altitude of course.
Indeed bigger flies better, but 3,5kg and ~70g/dm2 was highly intimidating, nonetheless.
Apr 17, 2018, 02:21 AM
Also, I will scale down from the 15x10 to a 14x10. ecalc still gives me a 1:1 ratio with plenty of power. It won't turn into a lawnmower too quickly either.
Apr 17, 2018, 10:26 AM
I think your approach to feeling out a new plane is wise. I'm just giving you some light-hearted ribbing is all. I had a few go arounds to get the approach right on my first maiden too. Nice thing is on this plane is that the airfoil is really stable (provided there is no unwanted twist in them) so it can take low speeds well without tip stalling.
Apr 17, 2018, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_fo
I think your approach to feeling out a new plane is wise. I'm just giving you some light-hearted ribbing is all. I had a few go arounds to get the approach right on my first maiden too. Nice thing is on this plane is that the airfoil is really stable (provided there is no unwanted twist in them) so it can take low speeds well without tip stalling.

My wings were badly twisted tip stalling fool..... Got them worked out and now it's a floater... Still likes a tiny bit of power on landing for the smoothest but all I all it's a nice flier..
Apr 17, 2018, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard
My wings were badly twisted tip stalling fool..... Got them worked out and now it's a floater... Still likes a tiny bit of power on landing for the smoothest but all I all it's a nice flier..
You previous comment is why I inserted that disclaimer Did you ever get another canopy?
Apr 17, 2018, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_fo
You previous comment is why I inserted that disclaimer Did you ever get another canopy?

Nope Jane not found one yet I did make a repair fir now.... I might use this one as a mold fill it with 2 part foam... Clean that up and send it out to have one vacuum formed...

Quick Reply