Jun 09, 2018, 02:38 PM
☠ -4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasCS
Exactly what happened with my wing.
Maybe its time to skin the plane and inspect for any other structural fatigue.
I heard the diamond di livery looks nice

There you go... turn lemons into lemonade. Should be easy to recover. I only cut a hole and patched mine rather than recover the entire wing since the plane looks well worn anyways. That outermost rib is going to take the brunt of the stresses so not as concerned with the inner ones unless I saw something there too. The innermost rib is ply reinforced pretty good if I recall correctly. That would be the other part of the wing that takes a lot of abuse.

I probably should just tear mine down, add reinforcements and cover again since I have the material. I'll know I'll wish I had if I lose a wing in flight.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2018, 09:14 AM
Any good guides for recovering? It would be a first in my case.
Jun 10, 2018, 10:19 AM
☠ -4
Shoot, I covered my first plane decades ago when I was 14 using the instructions that came with the monokote. Here is a guide I found. I will tell you besides an iron with sock have a few new #11 hobby blades at the ready. Ultracote film dulls blades quick and clean cuts make for a better covering job.

What color are thinking of using? If a repair/white I'd keep it simple by only recovering the underside of the wing. If you are changing color then you'd have to strip the entire wing and cover bottom to top. Most important you don't want to add warp to the wing as you are covering and tightening the film. I did that on my first without understanding that could happen and needless to say the plane flew horribly.
Dec 04, 2019, 05:23 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
I found this plane in a Scratch and Dent bin. It then sat in my garage for 2-3 years. When I finally recently put it together, I was astounded by the impeccable covering job and pre-installed hinges and control horns. I had a Power 60 motor sitting on the shelf, so I used it.

Wow! this thing looks and flies great.

Tom

Quick Reply