Aug 13, 2011, 03:41 PM
On another note, if anyone has an F5B setup for their 11X they'd be willing to email me so I can download it into my Tx, that might be an interesting learning experience for me as well.

Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2011, 01:07 PM
When the XP9303 first came out, the programming for GLID was rewritten and improved for glider use. One of the changes was the channel assignment for the GLID configuration were made different from the ACRO. In GLID the left aileron is on channel #1. This is true for the X9303, X9503, 12X and 11X as well. It is nothing you did that put the left aileron where it is.

Now using the stick for stick for flap control through the use of the LANDING MODE menu is meant for landing use only. This menu ties the flaps, flaperons, elevator and even spoilers to the throttle stick so they act in coordination for landing. As such, the flaps move from neutral to full crow position. There are ways of programming the stick to give both positive and negative deflection but normally camber control is done either by use of one of the sliders on the back or by trim settings. This way you have finer control over the flaps than by using the stick.

You might try searching the Sailplane Talk forum. If I recall correctly, Sherman Knight posted an early review of the 11X with respect to glider programming there. My ideas for programming a full house sailplane are still works in progress. The last one I did was for a motor glider so it would have some aspects not suitable for your plane.

Allan
Aug 14, 2011, 11:09 PM

Jade 11X Program

I've attached a zip program file for my Jade full-house sailplane. It is written for the JR 11X 2.4 transmitter sold in the US. I haven't implemented it yet for my sailplane so it could need some more work. But it is similar to one I used on a full-house electric glider. It worked all right with the electric but I won't say it is an optimal program. If you try using this program, you may have to reverse the direction for some of the surfaces.

It is simple as only three flight modes (launch, normal, and landing) are used. The flight modes are controlled by the FMODE switch in the forward upper left corner.

In the LAUNCH mode, nothing special happens. As the elevator, flaps and flaperons trim are flight mode dependent always flight mode dependent in GLID, you can set up the trims for the LAUNCH condition and they will not apply to the other modes unless you duplicate them. The flap and flaperon trims are the two spring loaded switches bracketing the multicolor LED. As an alternative to setting the flaps and flaperons trims for each mode, you can use the CAMB PRESET menu.

In the NORMAL mode, the flap lever (the right-rear slider) comes into play. I have it set 5% reflex and 10% camber (SLIDE CAMB menu). These values are just a guess. Also I have the transmitter sound a warning as the slider goes past neutral. It is one way of knowing when the camber is neutral.

In LAND the throttle stick comes becomes active for crow. I've only filled in the LANDING MODE menu values for the flaps and flaperons. The rates for the elevator have been left at 0% as they are set by trial and error. The flap slider in LAND and LAUNCH modes is deactivated. You can have them active if you plugged in some rates into the SLIDE CAMB menu for these modes.

Allan
Aug 14, 2011, 11:52 PM
Oh my. Excellent. That is quite excellent.

I read your 1st response to me a little bit ago and, while stripping wires in the garage in preparation for making a wiring harness, one of my secondary temporal processors has been thinking about moving the flaps from the throttle to the slider to see if that gave me full throw.

Then, I just read your new post.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I will now have to read the article on downloading programs, but that should be a no-brainer.

I'll give your program a shot and see what happens. I haven't installed the servos yet as once they're in, it's over. No changes in servo arm will be possible.

Alan, you've done a great deal here to help folks get through their programming issues. You are a great asset.

I Thank You for your assistance.

Don
Aug 18, 2011, 11:12 PM
pck
pck
My 11x currently is a DSM-J removable module. Will it work if I plug in a DSM2 module instead?
Aug 18, 2011, 11:31 PM
I am UNIQUE!
Alan,

Would it be possible to use your Jade program for a Moto glider setup and still have crow available in glide and land?

Mike
Aug 19, 2011, 01:39 AM
Yes, I used a variation of it for my motor glider. I didn't get a chance to work with the program much as the plane's wing exploded early on this spring when I did a dive test. Essentially the program had the motor enabled when in the launch mode and inhibited in the normal and landing modes. I won't be posting it as I have some preferences that most people will not accept. The plane was set up to be a recreational thermal duration glider. As such, I had the motor and the landing system both on the throttle/flap stick. And to have the stick position be all the way back when the motor is off in launch mode or when the landing system is not in play in the landing mode, I set the landing system up so the stick is pushed forward for the crow settings.

Allan
Aug 19, 2011, 07:46 AM
Paul Pappas,.....AMA....L42520
Quote:
Originally Posted by pck
My 11x currently is a DSM-J removable module. Will it work if I plug in a DSM2 module instead?
The radio will work with any module that fits a JR TX
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98..._1/key_/tm.htm

Which one will you be using? There are two different modules. An 11 channel JR module and the spektrum DM9 both DSM2

If your using the 11 channel just swap it out, if you’re using DM9 then you need to make a change in the modulation program. The radio has 4 settings.

Name: 11x Mod.jpg
Views: 85
Size: 76.5 KB
Description: 11X Zero modulation screen

Why the change to DSM2? That's going backwards.
Aug 29, 2011, 01:58 PM

HEATING in the RF module? 52C/125F!!

I've bought a new JR 11x DSMX from an authorized HH dealer. I noticed the back of the radio, where the RF "module" is located (not a removable module), gets really warm after 10 minutes when the radio is on.

I've tested it today with an infrared thermometer. I left the radio on (backlit on AUTO) and left it sitting upright on a table. Measurements at the back of radio, right where the RF module is located:

- initial temperature: about 24C/75F (room temperature)
- about 3 minutes later: 31C/87F
- 10 minutes later it was at 45C/113F (in the upper part, near the LED) and 40C/104F in the lower part, near the bind button
- about 30 minutes later: 52C/125F near the LED, 45C/113F near the bind button.

Even with this heating, the battery lasts for many hours (something around 6 hours, if I recall).

I'm using the original battery that came with it and never installed any other battery. Unit has never been opened, abused or anything. Using firmware 0001-0103. I haven't flown with this radio but bind tested with the JR 921 receiver and worked fine. Didn't do a range test, though.

Is this heating normal? Is this safe to use? Anyone else noticed this?

---

I've sent this message above to HH but they didn't reply with a YES or NO whether this is normal or not. Instead, they said I could send it for a "repair evaluation". I guess that's what I'll end up doing.

Brand new radio and not QC tested...
Aug 29, 2011, 03:32 PM
What battery pack are you using ?

The location you indicate (next to LED) is where the linear voltage regulator is sitting. As the regulator puts out 3.3V it has to drop the balance. So if its using a NiMH pack at 9.6V, then the regulator converts the 6.3V difference into heat. Can't remember what the current draw is off the top of my head so cannot work out the Power dissipation.

This is one of the reasons why packs greater than 9.6V are not recommended by JR.
Aug 29, 2011, 03:32 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
I have had numerous JR radios including the 11x and I have never noticed any noticeable heat coming from the device during operation. 125F is certainly too hot to be holding onto IMO
Aug 29, 2011, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaton56
What battery pack are you using ?

The location you indicate (next to LED) is where the linear voltage regulator is sitting. As the regulator puts out 3.3V it has to drop the balance. So if its using a NiMH pack at 9.6V, then the regulator converts the 6.3V difference into heat. Can't remember what the current draw is off the top of my head so cannot work out the Power dissipation.

This is one of the reasons why packs greater than 9.6V are not recommended by JR.
Interesting info about the regulator.

I'm using only the original NiMH pack and charged it with the original charger that plugs into the radio. Never plugged anything other than the stock battery & stock charger.

Sounds like some issue with the regulator. I'll ship it tonight then; it's not worth the risk
Aug 29, 2011, 04:05 PM
I just asked John Adams about this. He said it's perfectly normal, and the reason he mentioned is as mentioned above (#625).

Andy
Aug 29, 2011, 04:16 PM

11x despair

Just had a bad weekend needs some advise. Had a TF P51 with AR 7000 this set up had flown many times. This weekend first flight of the day it took off and got about 25' in the air and that is when it went into safe mode just slowed down and decended to a nose first hard landing. Had a 5 cell Nimetal reciver pack new TP 44oo 45c went up in flames. Ok so about an hour later flew my spitfire with Specktrum 9 ch power safe with two freshly charged A123 did the same thing took off got 25' in the air and I no longer had it it just decented to a hard landing. Got any ideas both planes have been flown many times. I did charge the TX all night on the supplied charger, I am just pissed about this.
Aug 29, 2011, 04:40 PM
Did you range check yet?

Andy

Quick Reply