Sep 30, 2009, 04:31 PM
Just Say No To GMO
Thread OP
Mini-Review

2008 ITC IronMan Flyer - Sturdy Fun Rocket

Since the demise of the Mini XPV, the void in the toy Micro RTF class has been a bit gaping and I have been looking for a plane that at least came close to the performance of the MXPV. After much reading and considering and after finding out that I can order directly from ITC and have it sent to the states, I nabbed an ITC IronMan Flyer in 49mhz.

First impressions: It's solid. The nose is a bit pointy and I worry about it snapping off in a crash but it is reinforced as are the majority of leading edges, a nice touch! The on/off switch is a little tight (and I have small hands) so you might want to bring something to tick it on/off like a key or something. The charge port is located on the top of the plane.
The Landing Gear is a nice touch although I cannot get it to go straight and taking off from the ground is a little difficult. I suspect tweaking on the wheels a little will fix it.

I have flown it about 5 times now. Keep in mind that in this class of plane the Center of Gravity (c of g) is all over the map. On this plane it seems slightly tail heavy but perhaps that's correct. It's not "bad" or anything but it can pitch-up easily and you have to make sure you scrub off any forward momentum by turning if you don't want it to flip over at times.

My plane pulled a bit strongly to the left in stock trim. While I could overcome this with the trim nob I hate to overcome bad aerodynamics via the force of the motors, I always lose turning agility to one side. But actually on this plane it's hardly noticeable.

First flight was 70F, slightly windy and getting dark. After flying an IFly Vamp for the past few weeks or so, this first flight seemed like a Rocket! I was hanging on for dear life, a great adrenaline rush.

This is a fast plane and I would not suggest it for raw beginners. That being said it's also a plane that you can fly on absolute minimum throttle and have it still climb like a bat out of hades and fly fast. Really very nice.
I lost sight of it in the darkness and quickly threw it into a zero throttle spiral and heard it come down hard (slammed down hard) on top of the roof of the local market. I feared the worst but upon inspection it had no marks of any kind. It can really take abuse! I have crashed it into a tree twice, clipped power lines with it and it still looks free of any damage.

It handles wind well, though it's no Mini XPV. It is responsive enough, but again it's no Mini XPV. The range is very good but I did not push it, however I took it out a good ways and am satisfied that the tx/rx are decently robust, far more so than the standard Air Hogs stuff (I have not tried their 49mhz planes yet).

What was really impressive to me is the FTRT (Full Throttle Run Time). This little Gem went for a full 9 (Nine) Minutes using Rechargeable (nimh) batteries in the stock 3c charger. HIGHLY IMPRESSIVE!

I cannot make it roll using the Zero Throttle Turning (ZTT) unless I pitch the nose straight up then chop the throttle and peg the right or left. Then it does a sort of weird roll/flip thing and comes out going the opposite direction. I have only got it to loop once, I'm still working on that. But that's really fun stuff, a lot of planes in this class simply won't do those stunts. One reason I fell in love with the XPV 2.0 Shadow Hawk was that you could do these weird pitch-up roll things that would make people gasp. Neat!

Using ZTT in flight causes it to go into a tight spiral. ZTT has kept me from going into the power lines a few times when I had to make the turns extra tight. Always a plus on little planes like this.

Going into this I knew that the transmitter has that super annoying filtered/unfiltered thing. While I can start the flight in normal, Unfiltered mode it quickly changes back mid-flight to delayed input mode. That's an unhappy thing about this plane. The transmitter really blows chunks in that regard. However it's not a deal-breaker and the plane is still reasonably controllable in default filtered mode. Just annoying.

Overall, it's a great little plane so far. I enjoy flying it. It does what it is told in a reasonable manner but things happen quickly so you have to stay on top of it (which frankly I love).
It has robust range and plenty of power. It's sturdy as heck and it frankly looks real good in the air.

On a final note I will say that this plane flies almost exactly like the Air Hogs X-Twin Stunt Jet. Same feel to it, a little wobbly at times. But with more power and range and control.

More as it develops.

Onward and Upward.
Last edited by demisemiquaver; Sep 30, 2009 at 05:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2009, 01:04 PM
Just Say No To GMO
Thread OP
update:

My plane is starting to pull harder to the left and as such I'm having to trim it to the point that the plane sometimes will not respond to turns on the weak side unless I panic-ZTT it. I'm getting a little tired of having to fish this plane out of trees. ugg. I'm not sure how much of this is the transmitters fault, but I can only fly it for a minute or so before I have to land it and reset it back to unfiltered mode.

It's not as responsive as I would like, it can be a boat at times.
Taking off from the ground is best performed when nobody is looking since 9 times out of 10 it either turns hard one way (I've been unable to correct this) or tips over during taxi. (lol).

Oddly, going at full throttle seems no different than going at mid or low throttle. Flying out sometimes can seem like it's struggling.
I can tell very little difference in speed or climbing ability between throttle settings and I'm wondering if this is some motor angle/aerodynamic thing?
It makes it seem like the plane is underpowered. However once it's at altitude and doing swooping turns, etc..it seems fine.

A fun plane but I think the defect of the hard left pull is detracting from my impressions of it. I'm tempted to get it replaced and try again. It probably indicates that a motor is faulty, a problem I had with my ITC Razor early on and it seems like it uses the same motors.

I'm going to take the landing gear off and give it a go. Mine seems a bit tail-heavy (to me) so perhaps this will fix it. More as it develops.
Oct 01, 2009, 03:16 PM
Too bad bout the unevenness, I've had that with one rx, in my case it wasn't the motors. But, whatever accounts for the unevenness, that, coupled with the tx switching modes on you (something I've never had happen), indicates definite dud, this product has been consistantly better than what you describe in this particular case.

A lot of my ITC planes fly nicely with the trim centered. On a couple of them, theres a little trim required. This is within the first range of the trim knob though, where if you throttle off, neither motor spins. The second range is where one motor will spin even at zero throttle on the stick. If it gets to this point on one of my planes, I consider it a problem. Keep in mind there is still trim adjustment within these ranges.

At least now you know what the range can be, and that the unevenness and mode switch are not typical.

Unless you're emitting emps or something, you should be able to get another one that works just fine. the next thing to do would be to get the KG P-40 or Corsair, if you want something that will put your memories of the mxpv performance to the test! I know you don't like modding, but it doesn't get easier than this one. If you can pick your nose, you should pick this mod instead.
Oct 01, 2009, 06:33 PM
Just Say No To GMO
Thread OP

Landing Gear on or off? Experiences?

It's a hot (90F), windy day here in the San Fernando Valley. I've been alternately putting the landing gear on and taking it off and frankly I'm just not sure what is better.

It seems like it flies better in the wind with the landing gear on, I guess because of the extra weight. Without the Gear, at times it seems to struggle to climb..perhaps because the C of G is moved forward without the gear?

Anyway I'd like to hear from other IronMan owners and get their opinions on what they like better..on or off?
Oct 01, 2009, 07:26 PM
demise,
nice to see some other-than pZ conversations going on... I fly my IM without the landing gear. Mostly 'cause he is more athletic without them, plus I fly over grass so no roll landing.

glad to see you like him so much, yours don't fly better without the gear??? take offs and landings are the only reason I keep them on, but I find hand catches are more exciting for the bystanders
Oct 01, 2009, 08:31 PM
Just Say No To GMO
Thread OP
It very probably does fly better without the gear, logically it would. However today in the heat and wind it really seemed to fly better with them on.
It's always windy where I live up against the foothills but in the morning it's fairly calm and I will compare then.

On that note, this plane has very impressive wind penetration as long as you manage the nose/throttle. It is a definite blast to fly. ITC is on the right track.
I'd like to see the demise of the transmitter and the addition of an optional 1c AC wall charger.

Death beam laser cannons would be a nice touch, I could finally hunt down those pesky pigeons however I suspect that would push the price up a tad.
Oct 01, 2009, 09:19 PM
Just Say No To GMO
Thread OP

Self Destructed - RIP

Well, the pull got so bad to the left that even with the trim nob turned all the way over to the right it would not fly straight. It's a definite dud. One of the motors is self-destructing, clearly, since it gets worse with every flight.

What a bummer. I waited a long time for this plane only to have it self destruct in only two days.

I'm going to assume that this is not normal for ITC planes and just assume my insanely bad luck is just doing what it always does.

Sadly I peeled off the stickers (not imagining it would kill itself in two days) so I hope ITC will take it back and send me a replacement.

This seems like a good plane but I can't really rate it properly until I get one that actually works. This is my second ITC plane and on both the motors died fairly quickly. I hope they work on this.

On another note, with this particular IM it flies better with the LG on. Without it, it pitches up to much and makes it harder to control in the wind and in low light. I've lost this plane on roofs and in trees more than I have lost any plane in the past year. It's a bad luck plane for sure.

Onward and Upward.
Oct 02, 2009, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by demisemiquaver
Well, the pull got so bad to the left that even with the trim nob turned all the way over to the right it would not fly straight. It's a definite dud. One of the motors is self-destructing, clearly, since it gets worse with every flight.

What a bummer. I waited a long time for this plane only to have it self destruct in only two days.

I'm going to assume that this is not normal for ITC planes and just assume my insanely bad luck is just doing what it always does.

Sadly I peeled off the stickers (not imagining it would kill itself in two days) so I hope ITC will take it back and send me a replacement.

This seems like a good plane but I can't really rate it properly until I get one that actually works. This is my second ITC plane and on both the motors died fairly quickly. I hope they work on this.

On another note, with this particular IM it flies better with the LG on. Without it, it pitches up to much and makes it harder to control in the wind and in low light. I've lost this plane on roofs and in trees more than I have lost any plane in the past year. It's a bad luck plane for sure.

Onward and Upward.
One of the motors in mine also died, but only after a reasonable amount of flying (though in significantly LESS time than the longer-lasting higher-quality Silverlit/Airhogs planes).
Oct 03, 2009, 03:35 AM
Just Say No To GMO
Thread OP
Yeah but Air Hogs planes have such horrible range. Sigh. Seems like nobody will give us everything, only parts of it or nothing at all.

I've not tried the 49mhz F-18 from Air Hogs, can anyone compare it's range with ITC planes or the Mini XPV?
Oct 30, 2009, 03:46 AM
Just Say No To GMO
Thread OP

2 Iron Man, both bad. Weird issues. sad.

After trying two of these I just can't give them a thumbs up. Both were defects in their own way. The first flew good and had good range but a bad motor that died in less than 10 flights.

The 2nd one has seemingly good motors but totally bad range and flies like . It is clearly tail-heavy which is probably why but it struggles at virtually all times and is really bad in even a slight breeze.

I'm sure there are good (read: put together correctly) examples of this plane, and I'm sure the owners love them. This plane could be a winner.

I just can't afford to take a chance on another dud Iron Man from ITC so I will pass and either try the Hulk or the F-18 from Air Hogs (in 49mhz).

Sad, very sad. Why don't they just charge $10.00 more and make them have good range and have them put together at the factory down the road where they do a better job?
Nov 01, 2009, 01:12 AM
Just Say No To GMO
Thread OP

It was the Salmon Mousse .. Ur..Landing Gear

OK. I finally figured this plane out. It hated the landing gear. It hated the cold (under 55F is bad for range it seems).

I did not immediately take the LG off because on my last I.M., it flew better with it on. On this one, it became a whole new plane with it off.

I've had some great flights! The plane is perhaps a little tail heavy but it does allow for some nice stunts and seems like a good balance between "wind rider" and "stunt plane." I cannot call this one really super in the wind but it's not the worst plane (without LG) that I have flown in that regard.

Without the landing gear I can say without hesitation that I like this plane a lot. Great flight times, decent range (I've not pushed it but it seems really good) and the ability to fly casually or do some wicked stunts.

Loops, Immelmans', weird "stop forward momentum, kick in ZTT and watch it spin 360 while falling flat" things, pitch the nose up, kick in ZTT and have it flip..etc etc. I've done stunts I'm sure there are no names for. Sadly, no cameras were watching. It would have been great YouTube material.

It's the closest I think we will come to the Mini XPV for some time in terms of overall performance. But where the MXPV was THE Long Range Master Ninja of the sky, it would not really stunt (which gave it super wind ability). This plane will stunt and I find I'm enjoying it a lot. Assuming you get a keeper, this a worthy plane and better than a great deal of others in the same class.

Next up will probably be the ITC Hulk or the AH F-18 in 49mhz.

Onward and Upward.
Nov 01, 2009, 06:39 PM
Demi,

As a modder, I would go with the AHF-18. As a package deal, kinda vanilla. Underpowered, imho.
Take the guts and put it in, say, the Echarger EDF airframe (-edf), its performance is comparable to the ITC stuff (In fact, I find myself flying it a lot lately).
As for the airframe, I put JS rx, motors, ahf-18 props, msl lipo into it, made it much more sporty (although you probably wouldnt like the range). Other guys have done awesome HG stuff to them, too.

If you want range that you have the means to make your own mind up about, and performance without modding, go with the ITC F-15. (of the choices you mention.)

If there's any chance you might ever mod, better get a Kid Galaxy plane now if you can, they seem a little scarce these days....
Nov 02, 2009, 12:34 PM
Just Say No To GMO
Thread OP

Less than 12 flights and the Lipo goes south :(

Well, this _was_ a good plane without the LG but now I will have to engage in another month-long battle to get ITC to exchange or replace it.

The flight times were seeming really short all of a sudden and I timed it and sure enough I'm down to 5:30

I've always treated this bat well, always let it cool before and after charging, never intentionally ran it to LVC...always cut the flights short to save the battery on purpose.

Oh well. figures. I have the worst luck.
Nov 02, 2009, 02:22 PM
i feel your pain!
Nov 02, 2009, 06:41 PM
Silly Q; how fresh are your TX batts?

Does the Hulk sticker indicate production date?

Do you have a "spare" good lipo?

Soldering is actually pretty simple, and it never hurts to recreationally develop a skill that real life situations may actually present a use for at some point....like what if you could have fixed your mxpv, or come across one that was fixable? ...... Wait a minute, was that real life enough?

Sounds like you have an otherwise likeable plane with maybe a weak lipo......and its a neat little "mutt?" as someone put it......Is it worth all the runabout AGAIN, or is it worth exploring other avenues?

Heck, theres a few guys here who would likely love to work out an exchange for that plane with you, and are quicker than the service you've previously enjoyed,......
hhhmmmm.......if you wanted we could do a "plane for plane" type thing, I promise to test fly the new plane as many times as you like !

If I were you though, I'ld just bite the modding bullet, its actually more like a tasty fish hook...

Quick Reply