Sep 27, 2009, 11:37 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Thread OP
Discussion

Ryan STA -Anyone Have One? Gone Like the Passenger Pigeon?

I'm interested in a Ryan STA. They seem like wonderful fliers from what I read and they look great. Anyone have one they are flying now? Care to post some photos?

And are these available anymore? Google can't find any for me.

Thanks,

Frank
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2009, 11:53 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
Is there a specific kit, designer, mfr you are looking for?

If you were looking to scratch build one, it's a relatively simple design with mostly straight lines and few compound curves...

James
Sep 27, 2009, 12:12 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
How about this:

http://004edc4.netsolhost.com/BAWET/Ryan_STA.htm
Sep 27, 2009, 05:15 PM
pd1
pd1
Frank,
I've got plans for a 48 inch one. It's stick and tissue for rubber power but can be sheeted and strengthened for electric or glow with a little work.

Paul
Sep 28, 2009, 05:05 AM
ARFs Are Me
A friend has a Byron STA, that needs to be refurbished. The price is right, at $200.00.
Sep 28, 2009, 02:41 PM
I have the GP Ryan STA with an OS 91FS. Doesn't have unlimited vertical but is a real pussycat. Does the old style aerobatics with grace and easy. I installed Robart struts and spent whole flights doing touch and goes. I also have the old Sig kit in the wings to build. If you can find either one get them, they are great planes.
Sep 28, 2009, 03:05 PM
pd1
pd1
Frank,
Ryan STA by Sig now on e B
http://cgi.ebay.com/SIG-Ryan-STA-Spe...item23031e96c8
Sep 29, 2009, 03:54 PM
MAN has plans -- #5681 for 90" 1/4 scale. Looks like this is the same color scheme as the SIG one.

http://modelairplanenews.com/ME2/Default.asp

howell
Sep 30, 2009, 07:32 PM

Sig Ryan STA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer
I'm interested in a Ryan STA. They seem like wonderful fliers from what I read and they look great. Anyone have one they are flying now? Care to post some photos?

And are these available anymore? Google can't find any for me.

Thanks,

Frank
Kit is no longer made by Sig. I have a complete, unstarted one, with an additional fiberglass cowl, spare set of decals, plans for improved landing gear by Dr. Mike Meyers, and a set of duplicated , but complete, booklet for construction as prepared by Dr. Meyers. This is the Craftsman Kit designed by Maxey Hester. Great Planes made a similar sized plane in ARF form. ? availablity
Charles W. Greenwood
Last edited by sawbones 2; Sep 30, 2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: amplification
Oct 10, 2009, 06:25 PM
Here is my GP Ryan arf . I added flaps and the robart Robo-struts.
Oct 10, 2009, 06:37 PM
Thread OP
Now that's what I am talking about!! Sweet looking bird! Watcha got under that cowl?

Frank
Oct 10, 2009, 06:50 PM
AMA 910957
Frank,

Are you looking for an ARF or builder's kit?

The winning bid on eBay for a Sig kit on Oct 4th was $150.50. I've seen them go from $150-$200ish. LOTS of vacuum-formed pieces...

EJWash
Oct 10, 2009, 06:56 PM
Thread OP
EJ,

Best case scenario for me right now would be a RTF sans Rx from a local flyer. I got two planes in the queue right now, but I'd love to have one of these birds.

I was just wondering if anyone was flying one and if kits and/or ARFs were available.

Frank
Oct 10, 2009, 07:13 PM
Dr John
Frank

I currently have both of these flying. The first pic is an old MRC rubber free flight foamie converted and the second one is a kit I produce under the name Dr John's Laser service. It uses The Parkzone Vapor radio and a 7mm geared motor. It is built with a combination of laser cut and vac formed depron. Both are very nice flyers

John
Oct 10, 2009, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer
Now that's what I am talking about!! Sweet looking bird! Watcha got under that cowl?

Frank
It has a satio 120 for power. Fake flying wires adds to the realism........
(airframe could be for sale..??)

Quick Reply