Sep 26, 2009, 07:40 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Club Thread - Northern Beaches Soaring Club

Hi,

We've just created a new Club thread for NBSC (Northern Beaches Soaring Club) which covers the sloping sites of the Northern Beaches of Sydney.

https://www.rcgroups.com/nbsc-northe...ring-club-643/

We'll be using it to provide more information on Club History, Membership and Meetings etc etc,

Any past, present or prospective members feel free to come and have a chat some time.

If anyone has some photos or historical information, please let me know.

best regards

Matt
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2009, 10:54 PM
Hey matt,

Are you going to whip up a website or something? Looks interesting

Cheers

Nick

PS lets hope for some SE wind :P
Sep 28, 2009, 06:41 AM
does that mean u need to be a member to be able to fly at Long Reef now?

i used to fly there a bit, but haven't been a while now!!
Sep 28, 2009, 08:15 AM
Thread OP
I'd be happy to implement an NBSC website if someone submits a great design. I have made the offer to the club before and it was ignored.

Leo and I tried to DS in the Westerley the other day. Leo did well to keep his Falcon in one piece.

best

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM91
Hey matt,

Are you going to whip up a website or something? Looks interesting

Cheers

Nick

PS lets hope for some SE wind :P
Sep 28, 2009, 08:18 AM
Thread OP
No, you don't need to be a member to fly at Long Reef, but for $170 per year I can't understand why everyone goes without insurance.

If you injure a bystander and have no insurance you're screwed, and so is the flying site.

When Patrick sends me more info on Insurance and membership, I'll post it here,

best

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno6688
does that mean u need to be a member to be able to fly at Long Reef now?

i used to fly there a bit, but haven't been a while now!!
Feb 24, 2011, 09:19 PM
For more information on the NBSC, contact me, Patrick McGrath, Hon. Sec. via Private Messaging.
I can mail you info and application form. We fly electrics behind the Mona Vale Hospital and Slopers on most of the Easterly facing cliff sites along the Sydney Northern Beaches.
Sep 04, 2014, 08:26 AM
Jeepers
Sep 04, 2014, 06:42 PM
speedfreek
Very cool Matt!

I didn't realise there was a club down there. Great to see another slope club!
Sep 04, 2014, 09:42 PM
Slow builder
Note the date.
I'm not sure if they are still around. I'll try to find out.

Al
Sep 04, 2014, 11:41 PM
speedfreek
Derr...... I didn't notice the date Al.
Sep 05, 2014, 07:51 AM
Slow builder
Zombie thread.
I hope they are still around. I used to be involved in the NBSC many years ago & did a lot of flying down there before the jellyfish took over Monavale & they fenced off the NE face at Longreef.
Just this week I've moved back into the area for work so hopefully I can get a few sly afternoon sessions in now & then.

I know a couple of the guys have since passed & the most recent President I knew of has moved away but I'll see if I can find a number he passed onto me some time back & make some calls this weekend.
I'll let you know.

Al
Sep 05, 2014, 07:21 PM
hi i fly at Dobroyd when the wind allows do you guys fly there?
What about insurance as i sometimes land on the footy field.
Sep 11, 2014, 03:33 AM
Yes the club is still going. But it is down to a very small numberof members now.
Also the flying sites have become very restricted.
Dobroyd is now officially"Out of Bounds", but people still fly there as the Ranger can't be on the spot 24/7.
Mona Vale is still accessible, although we are limited to the Northern end now after complaints from the Para-gliding club.
They don't seem to stay away from our "Alcove" though. There are on- going negotiations regarding Insurance.
For more info call our Hon.Sec. Myles Murray at:-99446968 or Mob.0414993393.
Hope this helps. Patrick McGrath. AKA oldpilot.
Sep 11, 2014, 07:45 AM
Slow builder
Thanks Patrick.
That's a shame about Dobroyd as the lift there was 100% better than anywhere else in the area. Not really surprising though given most used to fly over the road & land in the park.

I wouldn't even try to fly at Monavale any more. The D...head ratio of the jellyfish pilots seems to be disproportionately high for some reason. The last 2 times I flew there (quite some time ago) I almost came to blows with a couple of clowns who thought they owned the place. I'm getting too old for that sort of rubbish.

The other option down there is the southern end of Long Reef. Walk down & land on the beach so no issues with the golfers. Just don't fly past the point or you're GORNE.

Al

Quick Reply