This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 01, 2020, 12:42 PM
Jack
Thread OP
That plane was a SIG Rascal 40 fuelie that came to me with a pre-wrecked nose and very cheap. I never flew it any other way except as seen there.

I chose a motor of a weight that put the CG at about 1/3rd of the wing chord at the root and the CG was right on the money.

Jack
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2020, 12:28 PM
scratchbuilder
Hard to believe that flying simple planes turning left only can be so much fun...
Jupiter Bee Air Race Action (5 min 8 sec)
Jul 24, 2020, 09:14 AM
sweet dreams & flying machines
Manta is here. https://www.flugmodell-magazin.de/do...r-unter-250-g/

Thanks Thomas!
Jul 26, 2020, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stronnag
Scaled up to 600mm span, laminated with 75 micron film;
  • 225 grams (laminate probably added 15g)
  • 2300kv 1860 motor (ex multirotor)
  • 850mah 3S
Rain and 20-40knot winds and other commitments will preclude a maiden until later in the week.
Jul 27, 2020, 03:45 AM
Reap the wild wind
stronnag, I'll start cutting a couple today as I happen to have a couple of Blue Wonder style 3000kv motors looking for a home.
I normally use a 4.5 x 4.5 or 4.75 x 4.75 EMP/TGS prop on 3s. I suppose a smaller overall diameter tri-blade might reduce possible prop strikes.
Let us know how the maiden goes with some video if possible
Jul 27, 2020, 10:25 AM
Reap the wild wind
MiniManta fuselage and wing cut out and built. I added a 6x1mm carbon flat in the wing just covered by the KFm panels.
My inial observations is that there's not a huge amount of space for the lipo. I'm ok with building the rx and esc in but I'm wondering what the intention is re an access hatch?
Andy
Jul 27, 2020, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
MiniManta fuselage and wing cut out and built. I added a 6x1mm carbon flat in the wing just covered by the KFm panels.
My inial observations is that there's not a huge amount of space for the lipo. I'm ok with building the rx and esc in but I'm wondering what the intention is re an access hatch?
Andy
Ended up like this on my 600mm span variant.
Jul 27, 2020, 11:25 AM
Reap the wild wind
Thanks. Figured as much.
I might dig out a bit of the foam in the lower KFm panel to give me 6mm more room. Hoping that the carbon spar will make up for any weakness that this will introduce.
I think your scaled up one might be a good idea as you'll have more room and the minimal extra weight won't blunt performance. The planned pole and stator 3000kv motor is a bit amp hungry so I'd expect flights to be short but frantic :-)
Jul 29, 2020, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
stronnag, I'll start cutting a couple today as I happen to have a couple of Blue Wonder style 3000kv motors looking for a home.
I normally use a 4.5 x 4.5 or 4.75 x 4.75 EMP/TGS prop on 3s. I suppose a smaller overall diameter tri-blade might reduce possible prop strikes.
Let us know how the maiden goes with some video if possible
The maiden took place down at the small local park in rather more breeze than I'd have wished for (12-15knots, gusting between the trees).

The MiniManta flew beautifully, since replaced the ESC as the motor wasn't developing full power.

Minimanta 600mm RC delta (1 min 43 sec)
Jul 29, 2020, 02:35 PM
Out Standing In The Field
Nice!
If you didn't mention about the wind, I'dve never known it.
Looks like it's also easy to maintain orientation, too?
Jul 29, 2020, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
Nice!
If you didn't mention about the wind, I'dve never known it.
Looks like it's also easy to maintain orientation, too?
You can hear the wind at the end, you can also see the plane getting blown around at the far right and left of the field in the turns, a bit wobbly down wind on the last run in the gusts and it just shoots off the back of the last loop. Massive fun, even for the maiden.

It's a lovely park flyer, as gentle or aggressive as you like. Another winner from Thomas.

Think I'll take to the 'proper club' on Friday, just to see the the reaction of scale / IC crowd.
Jul 29, 2020, 04:34 PM
Reap the wild wind
Looking good. Mines all glued up and will probably get it's maiden tomorrow.
I'll probably add a fillet of hot glue between the fuselage and wing to beef up the joint. I had a Funbat wing part company with the fuse on a previous build but then again it was a wee bit overpowered and on 4S! I'll add colour if it's still in one piece!
It's quite a tight squeeze getting a 800mAh 3s in there but it does balance with that size of pack.
Has anybody added cooling for the esc. I have used the tip of plastic spoons in the past. Cut a semi circular aperature just smaller than the spoon and hot glue over the hole facing forward. I'll be able to get a finger in the fuselage to test the esc temperature and then add if needed along with a larger exit hole

Andy
Jul 30, 2020, 09:09 AM
Reap the wild wind
All ready. Just waiting for it too cool down a bit and the park to clear out a bit.
Added just a little tape to aid orientation and removed a bit of foam at the front of the wing to let some air in
Jul 31, 2020, 04:42 AM
Reap the wild wind

MiniManta maiden mess!

Well that went well...................not!
The flight was short and sweet, apart from the landing.
Not the model's fault. It was me on the controls afterall.
It went away ok although needed some downthrust to curb the climb under power.
The fuselage can be repaired by grafting on a new nose which I'll make to go on the outside and overlapping the existing rear portion. This will give me a bit more room for the battery and leads.
MiniManta, maiden flight and crash (3 min 25 sec)
Jul 31, 2020, 09:28 AM
cool, i didn't notice someone else did a ray about the same time even one day earlier than me in this forum^^

sorry for the crash @headlessagain. besides it flies amazing, straight up

Quick Reply