This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 02, 2020, 04:57 AM
Reap the wild wind
Puller models, especially using lower kv motors, win the noise war. I've got to look after my local park flying area as it's only one of two in my city that's legal to fly at. Added bonus in that it's only 5 mins walk from my house
Last edited by headlessagain; Jan 02, 2020 at 10:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2020, 01:33 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Yeah, tractors are typically quieter, but pushers don't have to be noisy. There are plenty of threads here where flyboys talk about changing the shape of the prop slot or moving the prop back away from the fuse with a longer prop adapter shaft. Most of my park jets are pretty quiet. I haven't built anything using XYZ in a long time, but I was thinking of doing another one with the tail of the airplane sealed off like the front end with sloping panels back to the motor mount plate. That should make the thing a lot quieter.
Jan 12, 2020, 03:19 PM
flyin' fool
The tractor has a gain of about 35% when it comes to what makes your model fly ………….. the thrust!! Besides that, I like it's added aerobatic capabilities.

I've grounded all my DF, prop n' slot and pusher models because I'm trying to be proactive when it comes to keeping the locations we fly at.
Jan 12, 2020, 03:25 PM
flyin' fool
The only pusher I've built that didn't make a lot of racket was this design. Note the motor location, no more broken props either.

http://www.bavaria-direct.co.za/models/delta.htm
Jan 13, 2020, 09:29 AM
just Some Useless Geek
As I said, most of my mid and tail pushers are fairly quiet anyway. I don't want to fly something that's noisy -- what is this thing, a stinker?!? I also like Teslas that do seven second quarter mile times whilst allowing the baby in the back seat to sleep through the whole thing.

It's up to us to keep our quiet electric models quiet. Just as we need to self-patrol the use of quadcopters in restricted airspace we need to keep electric model airplanes non-intrusive at the park.

But, anyway -- back to the KF!
Jan 13, 2020, 05:24 PM
flyin' fool
This may be the future of park flying ...
Jan 13, 2020, 06:01 PM
Out Standing In The Field
^(kiddie plane with transponder linked to smart phone - yep!)
Jan 13, 2020, 06:03 PM
flyin' fool
Good one!!
Jan 15, 2020, 01:35 AM
you wouldnt need the transponder.. just a smart phone and an app which allows for logging on , with your operator number, to a system every time you fly... the app could broadcast your location along with anyone else who is flying...
For the majority of flyers and models this should be enough, mostly fly line of sight keeping to the general safety rules for height and distance..
Problems arise for those who go long distances but I am sure those types drones have GPS on board and that location feedback could also be incorporated through the same app..

.......keep it simple.....
Last edited by davereap; Jan 15, 2020 at 01:41 AM.
Jan 15, 2020, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
you wouldnt need the transponder.. just a smart phone and an app which allows for logging on , with your operator number, to a system every time you fly... the app could broadcast your location along with anyone else who is flying...
For the majority of flyers and models this should be enough, mostly fly line of sight keeping to the general safety rules for height and distance..
Problems arise for those who go long distances but I am sure those types drones have GPS on board and that location feedback could also be incorporated through the same app..

.......keep it simple.....
Dave... How did that KFm3 airfoil work out for you?

~ Dick
Jan 15, 2020, 11:31 PM
Its still waiting on our field drying out... our weather has been very poor, with wind and rain for ages.. weve been getting a set of storms rolling in, so Ive only been flying indoors..
Its sitting there waiting..
Jan 16, 2020, 12:53 PM
scratchbuilder

KFm 2 Canard

I turned my old Sparko back to front and now it is a docile flying canard. KFm 2, all 6mm Depron with pallet strapping.
Sparko RC Canard (3 min 50 sec)
Today, 02:34 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Smooth. I like the stall recovery, typical of a properly-balanced canard. Good high alpha and low speed behavior as well. Nicely done.

Quick Reply