This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 10, 2019, 01:20 AM
Just needs a prop
the wing will be held on with bands... old school..
AUW 44oz with prop. and a 3s 2200
vs timber at 55oz, with a 4s???
Last edited by davereap; Dec 10, 2019 at 05:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2019, 02:34 PM
flyin' fool
Time to fire up the 3D printer to make your own 'V' slot tool.
Last edited by goldguy; Dec 11, 2019 at 09:46 PM.
Dec 10, 2019, 09:24 PM
looks like fun
Dec 11, 2019, 08:08 AM
I tried a 10x4.7 SF (strong) prop on 3s and the 3536-1050 motor ..this would have flown the model but was suffering from vibration , despite balancing, and it didnt give full vertical.. I then replaced the motor with a 3536-1800 and an 8x4E prop.. I think this might do the job on 3s..

I use sketchup to find the COG.. and it balances between 20% and 25% of the total area on the model, which normally works fine....
have you tried this method.. Its useful on odd layouts,
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1367
Last edited by davereap; Dec 11, 2019 at 08:15 AM.
Dec 12, 2019, 02:11 AM
Comments on the build... mostly OK.. however I would change two things..

one.. extend the nose like the turbo timber, about two inches longer would be better..

two.. re-position the central spine , put it lower at the front, so the motor mount and battery hatch is on the top with the wires going along to the gear at the bottom..

As it is it will be OK, but a bit more thought would have made life easier..
Last edited by davereap; Dec 12, 2019 at 02:28 AM.
Dec 16, 2019, 04:09 PM

Prop Testing

I came across this document showing results from testing various propellers starting with a conventional airfoil, a ClarkY airfoil, a conventional and stepped airfoil, and a combination conventional and 2 stepped airfoil. What appeared to shine was the latter. The conventional/ 2 stepped airfoil out performed all the others.
Dec 16, 2019, 06:58 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeroo
I came across this document showing results from testing various propellers <snip>
This test is meaningless. The blades used are not equivalent.
Dec 17, 2019, 03:34 PM
flyin' fool
It all depends what's in the brew .

The scientist who came up with the idea of the black hole said you can't prove anything!!
Dec 17, 2019, 05:34 PM

Another KF prop test.

Somehow, they keep getting positive results. I wonder why.....
Dec 17, 2019, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
It all depends what's in the brew .

The scientist who came up with the idea of the black hole said you can't prove anything!!
But I think we can prove that propellers with differing size, shape and area will give different results.
Dec 18, 2019, 02:04 AM
flyin' fool
Sure, but that's a given and not disputable.

You can take two identical props from different manufacturers and get varying results. So, I wattmeter a variety of acceptable prop sizes for my power setup and then go fly them all. The results is not always expected.
Dec 18, 2019, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Sure, but that's a given and not disputable.

You can take two identical props from different manufacturers and get varying results. So, I wattmeter a variety of acceptable prop sizes for my power setup and then go fly them all. The results is not always expected.
Exactly the point I was making.
These guys are testing the performance of airfoils and ignoring how prop variations could skew these results.
Dec 21, 2019, 05:48 PM
Good evening guys,

I am looking for plans for a very simple plane with this small motor from Hobbyking.
I like to use several layers of logologic foam (2,2mm), denser foam for the leading edge and glassfibrestripes for strengthening.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/floater-...2208-2150.html
Jan 02, 2020, 03:34 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
... it gave good performance, but was incredibly noisy...
My first scratch pusher design (12 years ago, can you believe it?) was of my XYZ construction. The plane acted like a hollow-body guitar, amplifying the noise of the motor. A local cop thought that I was running a stinker and came over to give me some grief about it. Even though I was running electric that craprod was so noisy that he suggested I not run the thing at the park around dinner time -- which it was. I agreed with him and later retired that plane anyway.

We need to be aware of the impact our planes have on the neighbors. Too much noise is bad, no matter if it is a fuel-burner or electric, fixed wing or rotary wing. Keep your head up and yer eyes open, lads!

Quick Reply