This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 07, 2019, 02:28 AM
the gartt 2204 motors are stronger than the sunnysky, they have similar power, will run on 2s or 3s, but are more impact resistant..
In our indoor crash and bash sessions the sunnysky get bent out of shape..
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2019, 12:17 PM
flyin' fool
The Gartt motors are easy to take apart and clean if you get trash inside. The Sunnysky is not!!!
Nov 07, 2019, 02:41 PM
scratchbuilder
Frank, the Jupiter Bee has the Jupiter Shrimp wing with slighly changed shape, KFm 4 and no dihedral. Span is 64cm.

Here are some KF birds with aggressive behaviour.
Fighting birds (2 min 11 sec)
Nov 07, 2019, 04:38 PM
looking up, down under
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
The Gartt motors are easy to take apart and clean if you get trash inside. The Sunnysky is not!!!
thanks for the heads up

added to my wish list as an alternate source
Nov 27, 2019, 09:44 AM
My Latest KFm4... is A conversion of my big PP1 made into a Quasar v2..
This is a 30" span lump.. with an AUW of 33.2oz and a 7 ozsqft wing loading
Made for outside in the wind

this video is from the KFm4 PP1 flight, I will get some video when it stops p-ing down
PP1 KFm4 with 3536 and 11x7SF prop on 3s 2200 flt3 23 04 2015 (10 min 33 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Nov 28, 2019 at 05:56 AM.
Nov 28, 2019, 03:08 PM
scratchbuilder
What a great stable flyer!
Dec 02, 2019, 06:36 AM
Ive been working on a STOL model.. After looking at the many good bush type models being sold.. funcub, timber, tundra etc.. and loving their performances, but not liking the prices too much.. The funcub kit is about 100... my preferred model is the Timber X 1.2m but this only comes fully loaded and is 224 PNP or 250 BNF with safe.

I have been designing my own KFm3 build.. So far the wing is laminated, but there remains a lot to do..
6mm is depron being used with a lot of doubled layers for strength.
Span is 52"... chord 11"..
The made up spar is cut into layer 2 and glued in place , with the two step layers fixing it firmly in place
edit..
Wing almost done, it only needs the servos fitted
Last edited by davereap; Dec 04, 2019 at 01:38 AM.
Dec 02, 2019, 04:03 PM
"long stretch of water..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Ive been working on a STOL model.. After looking at the many good bush type models being sold.. funcub, timber, tundra etc.. and loving their performances, but not liking the prices too much.. I have been designing my own KFm3 build.. So far the wing is laminated, but there remains a lot to do..
6mm is depron being used with a lot of doubled layers for strength.
Span is 52"... chord 11"..
The made up spar is cut into layer 2 and glued in place , with the two step layers fixing it firmly in place
Looking forward to this one Dave. A bit different to the deltas you've been building.

I'll wait and see how yours maidens. 😊

Pat
Dec 04, 2019, 01:12 AM
Working on a fuzz..the sketchup drawing sizes are being modified as I build..
Its construction is built around a central full length spline, 2x6mm layers thick.. the original sides were not a pleasant shape, it was looking too big and boxy, so these are being reduced bit by bit..until it looks ok..all TLAR..
Then after I get it looking better, there will be doublers going internal to make it all a lot stronger..
Dec 04, 2019, 06:50 AM
scratchbuilder
I am looking forward to seeing it fly. Very interesting project!
Dec 04, 2019, 10:50 AM
Its taking me ages.. but the internal doublers are all in place, plus some bottom fuzz sheeting with some rounding at the edges...
normally my simple models are all done in one day..
Ive left a lot of decking off , to make it easier to fit the motor , push rods and other internals
Dec 04, 2019, 07:26 PM
looking up, down under
can i suggest using a technique i have "invented" but not yet used ?

for the leading edges of the tail feathers, you can iron on a folded piece of laminating sheet - the stuff of heat laminate pouches - so as to strengthen and streamline the section's entry

my current practice is to sand the foil for the wing leading edge, but then to iron it with a sealing iron (carefully) and it hardens the surface making it more impact resistant and less porous - but on a straight section the laminate dies great; i used it on my bonzai and it added considerable rigidity and strength for hardly any weight
Dec 05, 2019, 11:52 AM
People have been using laminating film for ages, .. All my KF slope gliders are now skinned with depron followed by laminating film all over..
This improves the glide speed

Dec 05, 2019, 03:44 PM
flyin' fool
The wheel has already been invented.

GPW came up with the idea back in 07' about using heat on foam ……………… https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=313

I've been ironing all types of foam and using laminating film for ages.
Last edited by goldguy; Dec 05, 2019 at 04:04 PM.
Dec 05, 2019, 04:30 PM
looking up, down under
well, i invented them both last then

Quick Reply