This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 02, 2019, 12:28 AM
looking up, down under
my spitfire was conventional wing, and sadly, conventional tip stalling
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2019, 05:39 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Guys , we never expected a panacea , but were elated that it provided Increased Strength , and much better stall characteristice for our flat wing Foamies … But then we’re just a Sport Flier , not a scientist … It’s a Tool , not a Cure … JMHO

We’ve been using the KF Airfoil on most of our Foamies for over 10 tears now … It works GREAT for my humble needs … Having been a modeler for well over 50 years now , It’s the Biggest Improvement in “sport" Model Airfoils we ever saw…
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Sep 03, 2019, 03:08 AM
something to remember... depending on the wing shape the overall thickness of the wing vs the chord can go wrong. on a highly tapered wing you can end up with a tip that is just not an effective part of the wing.. It being too thick in proportion to any chord at that location..
Like that the tip can be doing nothing, it just doesnt work ... odd flying then is noticed..
Sep 03, 2019, 01:29 PM
flyin' fool
As Dave pointed out, this step is tapered towards the tip because of it's curved LE. The picture is from the build thread of the Fidget and the LE has not been shaped yet.

I've got hundreds of flights on mine and this is one amazingly stable flying machine no matter what speed or attitude it's in.
Last edited by goldguy; Sep 03, 2019 at 01:41 PM.
Sep 03, 2019, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
As Dave pointed out, this step is tapered towards the tip because of it's curved LE. The picture is from the build thread of the Fidget and the LE has not been shaped yet.

I've got hundreds of flights on mine and this is one amazingly stable flying machine no matter what speed or attitude it's in.
Great how does it perform in Gust ?

Sent from my motorola one power using Tapatalk
Sep 04, 2019, 01:47 AM
flyin' fool
Flying in the wind is my favorite thing to do. The more wind, the more fun.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=214
Sep 15, 2019, 03:40 AM
We found some new white foam sheets ... available from B&Q ...
800x600mm.... in 3, 6, 9mm ...first impressions are very good, it feels stronger/denser/harder than the green sheets from the same manufacturer..
here is the 6mm...8 sheets for £13.74 and the quality looks pretty good.
You can find this material in the building section, with thermal insulation...
The 9mm sheets are also looking good for your bigger models..
The green 5mm sheets are in the flooring section

https://www.diy.com/departments/dial....prd?rrec=true
Last edited by davereap; Sep 15, 2019 at 09:47 AM.
Sep 15, 2019, 06:12 AM
"The Legendary Fat Fighters"

Cartoon Style warbirds with KFm2... take a look...
eight different modells, at the end another ninth...

Legendary Fat Fighters (7 min 34 sec)

solo performance of my "P39Q Airacobra"

The Legendary Fat Fighters - P39Q Airacobra (3 min 25 sec)

solo performance of Stephan`s P51D Mustang

P51D The legendary FAT FIGHTERS (2 min 4 sec)
Sep 15, 2019, 06:26 AM
the eight pilots...
Sep 15, 2019, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Be
the eight pilots...
Jürgen.... It was wonderful to watch those aircraft fly. It put a big smile on my face. They were all so stable and smooth flying through the sky. I can tell that there was a lot of love put into building them. Thanks for sharing these flights with us.

~ Dick
Sep 15, 2019, 10:48 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
We found some new white foam sheets ... available from B&Q ...
800x600mm.... in 3, 6, 9mm ...first impressions are very good, it feels stronger/denser/harder than the green sheets from the same manufacturer..
here is the 6mm...8 sheets for £13.74 and the quality looks pretty good.
You can find this material in the building section, with thermal insulation...
The 9mm sheets are also looking good for your bigger models..
The green 5mm sheets are in the flooring section

https://www.diy.com/departments/dial....prd?rrec=true
Thanks for the tip Dave

Frank
Sep 15, 2019, 01:18 PM
scratchbuilder
I need a fat fighter!!!
Sep 15, 2019, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Be
the eight pilots...
for some time I've been looking for something fun and different to build, those look like so much fun
I'm amazed that they fly so well and they stay in one piece, I would probably have trouble not laughing at them while flying,
PLEASE let us know where we can get plans and specs
Sep 15, 2019, 05:24 PM
There aro no plans yet, the designers, Mathias and Frank are working for preparing, because many many modelers are asking for more about the planes.
Frank is the owner of "Scale-Parkflyer" there`s already an anouncement on his pages... just can be seen on the german part...

https://scale-parkflyer.de/

I don`t know what he will offer at the end... plans, kit versions, or both... and if, will it be for all Fatty Planes
I`m sure, he will keep his pages updated

Specs are for all... around 80cm wingspan and length, AUW 650-800g
The P38 has +/- 110cm wingspan , AUW 900-1000g
All models are powered with a 3 cell battery 800-1500mAh, Motors are 75-100g class with 700-1000kv, differs in case of propsize

Jürgen
Last edited by Jürgen Be; Sep 15, 2019 at 05:30 PM.
Sep 15, 2019, 07:07 PM
Restricted User
Hi,
being a proud member of the legendary FAT Fighters squad i can tell you that a cheap Hobby Eagle A3 wing gyro does a wonderful job in my P51D, as you can see in the video a few posts earlier. Without the wing gyro she was asking for senior skills in gusty conditions. Now it is just a dream to fly.
Have fun
Stephan

Quick Reply