This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 18, 2019, 03:13 PM
flyin' fool
Mostly. The one on the right has Duck feathers.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2019, 02:35 PM
scratchbuilder

Micro Speed Plane

Here in Germany, RC planes over 250g weight are submitted to some new regulations. Under 250g , they are regarded as toys. The question is: HOW FAST CAN SUCH A TOY FLY? Radius is 40cm span with KFm 4 wing.
Rc Speedmodell unter 250g : Radius (1 min 53 sec)
Apr 26, 2019, 04:27 PM
flyin' fool
About that fast.

Great little design that.
Apr 26, 2019, 04:49 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B.
Here in Germany, RC planes over 250g weight are submitted to some new regulations. Under 250g , they are regarded as toys. The question is: HOW FAST CAN SUCH A TOY FLY?
As fast as you can till they add that to the regulations.
Hmm, 250 grams, that's just under 9 ounces. 3/4 of my fleet would be regulated.
Cool, fun looking plane.
Apr 27, 2019, 03:56 AM
Quad and foam adept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
As fast as you can till they add that to the regulations.
Hmm, 250 grams, that's just under 9 ounces. 3/4 of my fleet would be regulated.
Cool, fun looking plane.
That means you can build some more

The new EU regulations are not that bad. And even better, they're EU wide so you don't have a different adaptation in each member state (finally!).

You can read up on this page: https://www.easa.europa.eu/easa-and-...il-drones-rpas

The EU video title is: "Flying a drone. Have fun, be responsible for safety".

The new regulations are actually based on a scientific approach. The weight limitation was imposed because of the amount of damage an aircraft can do in relation to the weight. Below 250 g an aircraft is supposed to pose no mortal danger. One addendum that I personally (and probably a lot of others) put down on the Internet consultation that there should be a place for experimental (read: privately build) aircraft and this carried over to the final draft.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn BLA-L29 met Tapatalk
Last edited by Hermani; Apr 27, 2019 at 04:08 AM.
Apr 27, 2019, 08:34 AM
He who stalls....falls!
Was going to purchase a new arf foam model this morning, but a light flicked
and I ordered a whole mess of depron instead!
Had a go at a "sort of" KF wing yrs ago on a F/F model powered by the venerable Mills.75
diesel engine. The wing was 3 slabs stepped of some type of card covered foam,
very heavy, but all I could get at the time. The model should never have flown,
but it did! (not very well). The L/E of the wing was totally blunt 3/4" thick!
So now with better materials, and a few yrs of electric power under my belt, I'm ready
to slash depron and experiment and enjoy round.2 of KF wings.
cheers
Apr 27, 2019, 09:39 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
You will be able to scratch buid many models for the cost of that ARF and they will fly better too.
Well, that's been my experience anyway.
Main thing: Have fun!
Apr 28, 2019, 04:44 PM
Reap the wild wind

Another micro speed plane

Seeing ThomasB's speed demon reminded me of this little pocket rocket. It's no co-incidence that it uses the same 3000kv Blue Wonder style pole and stator motor for it's motive power. I seem to recall that there free plans for it and I'm certain it could be adapted to a KFm wing
The Wicked Little Babyshark Depron foamie RC micro speed plane (3 min 17 sec)

Andy
May 01, 2019, 06:47 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Hi Guys , we’re working on a KF Control line plane …. any thoughts ??? Foam , EPP ( Aquarider)
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 01, 2019, 09:06 AM
I've finally built another foam canard, and added a kfm airfoil to see what it does, I'm hoping the rear lift will help keep the plane stable at different speeds, my others would gain height or go up the faster it went, set the trim for that and when you lost speed well it would start to dive, the canard is only set a 3 degrees so that might also help
May 01, 2019, 10:30 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Slam , it appears your CG may be off , your 3 deg. on the canard “should" be fine …Maybe a touch more nose heavy eh … ??? Something to try …
BTW , the KF works Fine on canard wings , just like any other plane wing … ( having built a few )
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 01, 2019, 10:54 AM
flyin' fool
Yes, sounds like a CG issue.

https://rcplanes.online/cg_canard.htm
Last edited by goldguy; May 01, 2019 at 11:00 AM.
May 01, 2019, 08:40 PM
yeah on the others the c/g was sensitive, but I flew it tonight and was surprised as to how well it flew, power on slightly above half it traked well and flew good for the most part, I went to turn it back towards me and it wallowed, layed off the throttle and it started to glide gave it power and tried another turn , it just wasn't responding right, finally let it glide to the tall grass, no damage I could see, pluge d the battery back in and the motoer caought fire, so that inturn also burned out the esc, well for about 2 minutes it was good, now I need a new motor and esc, maybe the rx was too near the battery, I don't know and won't know til I get the new stuff I feel it might have wallowed in the turn due to being slightly tail heavy, it couldn't have been toomuch, it really looked good in the air
May 01, 2019, 08:56 PM
flyin' fool
That's the price you pay for drawing too many amps.

It's time to invest in a wattmeter, cheap protection at it's best. It will cost about the same as a motor and ESC.
May 02, 2019, 09:23 AM
no it wasn't the amp loading, I've used this setup many times before with no problems, the issue was the hard landing in the tall grass , it obviously broke a wire in the motor and it shorted it and the esc when I applied power again.
these were used motors anyway, will have to look online for the proper motor for that plane, plus the foam I use seems to be a bit heavy but more sturdy so a little more power doesn't hurt, with the better motors and lighter batteries the added weight of an airframe that will last longer is a plus

Quick Reply