This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 02, 2018, 12:35 AM
looking up, down under
i'm merely suggesting externally linked images might still work okay, seeing that youtube links are posting here okay

and it appears they do
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2018, 07:27 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Ok, thanks Scruffy. I did go back and shrink the images to half of the size I usually post and they did work this time....maybe rc groups changed their mb allowance on pics. Or as the usual case, I don't know what I'm doing.
Dec 02, 2018, 09:43 AM
Quad and foam adept
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1
i'm merely suggesting externally linked images might still work okay, seeing that youtube links are posting here okay

and it appears they do
BTW you're posting a nice picture of the Wright flyer. I was wondering about that airfoil. I searched online and found this page from NASA: https://wright.nasa.gov/airplane/lift1.html.

However having thrown the aircraft together in a bicycle workshop and being the first to actually fly I doubt that they really knew much about airfoil design and just tried what they thought might work and gave it a shot.
Last edited by Hermani; Dec 02, 2018 at 09:49 AM.
Dec 02, 2018, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermani
BTW you're posting a nice picture of the Wright flyer. I was wondering about that airfoil. I searched online and found this page from NASA: https://wright.nasa.gov/airplane/lift1.html.

However having thrown the aircraft together in a bicycle workshop and being the first to actually fly I doubt that they really knew much about airfoil design and just tried what they thought might work and gave it a shot.
Hermani.....

You might find this Wright Brothers video interesting....

Documentary: The Wright Brothers' Story (9 min 41 sec)
Dec 02, 2018, 02:00 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermani

You are a long way from the truth here.
I fact they started out by reading what all the so called experts in the world were doing and found that every one of them was wrong and they had to start from scratch,
They built a wind tunnel and conducted extensive experiments and refined their airfoil section to a high degree.
Such was their brilliance that when it came to designing their propellers they were able to use their own data and design propellers that were so efficient that their plane flew on 8 hp.
Do not entertain any idea that they were tinkerers who got lucky. They were brilliant, although somewhat flawed, men.
Dec 02, 2018, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE=Thomas B.;40568725]Here is my combat bird for 2019: an aggressive green woodpecker. I chose this bird because of the low aspect ratio and the forward swept wing.
It flies very well. Great tracking, Very agile. Capable of extremely tight turns. KFm 2 airfoil.

another good looker that flies well.... I love the wood pecker colouring
Dec 03, 2018, 12:39 AM
Quad and foam adept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Do not entertain any idea that they were tinkerers who got lucky. They were brilliant, although somewhat flawed, men.
Thanks for the insight, Whiskers. I did not mean to discredit their accomplishment, although I didn't know about their windtunnel experiments.
Latest blog entry: WoodQuad

Quick Reply