This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 18, 2018, 05:58 PM
looking up, down under
on my free flight canard, i had positive incidence on the leading (flat section) wing

it still needed elevons set like a flying wing, on the back (cambered) wing to not be a lawn dart

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0-the-canardly
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2018, 06:24 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
GPW, an experienced and enthusiastic canard builder advocates that the canard be set at a positive AoA.
Sep 18, 2018, 07:47 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
The reason for my asking is I'm thinking by using a kfm 1 on the bottom wing it will have sort of a partial built in incidence to it. Just thinking outside of the box....wing.
Sep 18, 2018, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
The reason for my asking is I'm thinking by using a kfm 1 on the bottom wing it will have sort of a partial built in incidence to it. Just thinking outside of the box....wing.

I would think it's the KFm 2 that has built in incidence.
Sep 19, 2018, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers

I would think it's the KFm 2 that has built in incidence.
Yes, the reason why I said partial. I'm thinking that if I increase the step just a little it will create some angle to the bottom somewhat resembling incidence....at least for half the wing.
Keep in mind that I don't have a degree in anything and I've only been " somewhat successfully" building for about two years now so I'm just guessing at all of this.
Last edited by Timbo383; Sep 19, 2018 at 05:43 AM.
Sep 19, 2018, 07:31 AM
Jack
Thread OP
OK, my thinking is that if you have a flat top or flat bottom, that is the surface that should be a zero incidence.

Without a flat top or bottom (like the KFm4) I would want a line through the leading and trailing edges to be at zero incidence.

Jack
Sep 23, 2018, 02:01 AM
My thoughts... always keep the main layer flat, at zero .. then use the KF section build to get the kind of wing you want..
Top steps ,KFm2, KFm3 give increased lift with more effective incidence..
Flat plate and KFm4 have zero incidence
Sep 23, 2018, 12:45 PM
I came across this article from Alexey who is from Switzerland. He built and flew a Dead Simple Flying Wing with twin motors. Very nicely done.

http://ausleuchtung.ch/kfm2/kfm2-gopro.php
Sep 23, 2018, 03:33 PM
Ok, here is a rough drawing of what I'm thinking for my canard box wing. And why I "think" it would work.
Sep 23, 2018, 04:51 PM
"Raised at the rear" would imply negative incidence.
Sep 23, 2018, 05:33 PM
Jack
Thread OP
What Whiskers says...

On the forward wing I would eliminate the block or strip that raises the step and just fold it back flat on the surface of the carnard.

That would essentially give you a KFm1 canard and a KFm2 win, both with zero incidence, and it will fly fine that way.

Jack
Sep 23, 2018, 08:26 PM
Ok, thanks for the inputs. I'll just make normal kfm strips for this and see how it flys. Did a small boxwing a couple of years ago with kfm 2 on both the upper and lower wings and it did fly good. I was just thinking that this idea would be better since I've built a few canard type planes since then and it is generally recommended to add incidence to the canard.
Sep 24, 2018, 06:21 AM
Jack
Thread OP
If the "generally recommended" canards were not KF wing canards incidence might be OK. But KF wings generally are best with no incidence.

Build two of them, one with and one without and you and decide for sure which is best.

Or maybe even prop a wing up in front a little, after you get it flying and trimmed out, and see what the incidence does to that.

Jack
Sep 26, 2018, 06:38 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Mine had kfm2 top and bottom wing Timbo. Once you work the cg out ( b4 its destroyed ��) she'll fly good
No incidents
Sep 26, 2018, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
( b4 its destroyed ��)
Hmm, now that's the problem....

Quick Reply