This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 18, 2018, 08:05 PM
Out Standing In The Field
Congrats on a pair of fine flyers!
(Make mine Blitz)
Latest blog entry: Rare Bear
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2018, 06:48 AM
Blitz info now in one spot....
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3067578

Here are the lines for the 20" twin fin basic version..as a KFm2....its the closest to the original..

And here is one almost done..... using 6mm depron stock
I made the box slightly deeper than the plan...
The sides were made slightly longer , they were then fitted, lined up at the rear and trimmed to go over the KF step layer ..
The front is trimmed to length after fitting the motor ... pic3
The front top fixed deck brace was made shorter than plan, so I could get to the motor wire connectors..

SPECS......
motor 2204-2280kv.. fitted
12A esc.. 2x tgy1601A 6gm servos.. orange RX.. 450 3s lipo.. 6x4 prop. decor now added
AUW 7.5oz.. area 200.6 "sq.. loading 5.4ozsqft..
Last edited by davereap; Apr 24, 2018 at 12:44 AM.
Apr 24, 2018, 07:00 AM
It flies.. but note I am still fiddling with various aspects to smooth out the flight..
I am trying different props and have cut down the fins slightly to 87.5mm to try to improve the banked turns...

Basic Blitz
Definitely fast enough, and the throttle on 3s was only up at about 25% for the majority of the flight...but the 6x4 prop was draining the lipo too quickly.. Ive now got a 5x4.5 triblade on it..
This may prove not so good, but Ive also got some at 6x3 to try
At the launch there is a noticeable torque roll in the opposite direction to the prop rotation..be aware..
Control responses are fast even on very low rates... using only +- 1/4 inch .... so the first lower powered launch was a bit hairy, I had the rates up a bit higher ...lol... they were quickly turned down.
The wind today was from the flats and it was bashing the lightweight 7.5 oz model about..
2s was worst, 3s not so bad, and likely using a larger lipo will make an improvement, adding some extra weight to beat the wind.
It flies on 2s but needed about 75% throttle to cruise on.
20inch mini blitz 1 24 april 2018 on 3s 6x4 (4 min 51 sec)

edit .... a minor change... Ive cut the fins down to 87.5mm high.. trying to improve the models flight when banked over, it was rapidly dropping the nose in the bank.. Ive also added a dalprop 5x4.5 triblade for a trial..
Last edited by davereap; Apr 27, 2018 at 12:59 AM.
May 01, 2018, 01:29 PM
scratchbuilder
Nice classic, Dave. Copes well with the wind. Great finish!
Last edited by Thomas B.; May 01, 2018 at 03:41 PM.
May 01, 2018, 03:38 PM
scratchbuilder

Ekranoplan plan online

The Ekranoplan plan is now online as a free download plan.
RC-Flugboot Ekranoplan - ein Downloadplan aus Modell AVIATOR (2 min 2 sec)

Richard and the other Thomas B flew the second prototype at Lake Dallas.
Build log is here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Download-Plan
May 01, 2018, 05:19 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
I didn't know that ground effect extended so far.
Always a lot to learn here...
May 03, 2018, 06:40 AM
more mini blitz..using a triblade prop, fins reduced in size and 3s..

after I had altered some of my setup, it was badly setup and it got some heavy crash testing
20inch mini blitz crash tests and trimming 3 may 2018 (5 min 36 sec)

Then I got it very nearly sorted ..
20inch mini blitz trimming adjusting low rates 3 may 2018 (6 min 26 sec)

The model is very tough... last job some more colour for under the wing... lol.. white was a poor choice, it just became invisible at height...

edit....both blitz variations have been coloured up..
Last edited by davereap; May 06, 2018 at 01:01 AM.
May 08, 2018, 06:30 AM
more heavy crash testing... shows how tough this little B* is... please excuse the bad language..
This is not a beginners model, its too fast and a bit tricky..

You will notice a sound change after the second crash... I had bent one of the tri bades, and it got noisier..

Then I realised I had the model trimmed to roll in the same direction as the torque roll induced by the motor... big mistake...
You must have the roll trimmed to go in the opposite direction.. about 1/8" up on one side is all that is needed to counteract that initial heavy torque..
You must launch at high power and at a high angle.. yes . this gives a worse torque roll, but also gives you a chance to get the corrections in to get it flying... which it does , at speed..

Once up and flying I had to adjust the trims with some more up elevator to get a level cruise...
Note the flight is not at full power
mini blitz 8 may 2018 2 (4 min 38 sec)
Last edited by davereap; May 08, 2018 at 06:35 AM.
May 08, 2018, 07:14 AM
Love deltas, but this is one for the Pros
May 08, 2018, 11:43 AM
Reap the wild wind
Twitchy little bugger isn't it Dave
Do you think it'll hit c of g as a pusher model with a similar weight quad motor pushing it around. Just thinking it might make a nice little fpv model
Andy
May 09, 2018, 03:01 AM
Its not so twitchy once its going, but its a problem at the launching stage..

For FPV a simple deltaV KFm2 wing pusher will be much better, they give a much smoother ride..
DeltaV wing 26inch 1st sept2016 (11 min 41 sec)
May 09, 2018, 03:23 AM
It seemed like a good idea!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Its not so twitchy once its going, but its a problem at the launching stage..

For FPV a simple deltaV KFm2 wing pusher will be much better, they give a much smoother ride..
+1 to that.

I maidened my version of Dave's DeltaVee this weekend and it flew beautifully (although just not fast enough for you Andy ).

It was one of those moments I had to comment to my FB having a go it was time to land to rest the battery.
Last edited by Hookit; May 09, 2018 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Added pics
May 09, 2018, 08:10 AM
The Quasar 3D delta is a different game... no trouble at all to fly..

More flying while the weather is good..
the 26" kfm4 made from the B&Q foam goes well
It has a v1 wing shape with my v2 body.. and has a beautiful axial roll.
The larger model flies on less power than the smaller standard size and seems to fly a lot slower..
The QX 2207-1500 motor goes well with an 8x4 prop on 3s.. flying at low power gets 10+ mins on a 450 3s..
26inch quasar 9 may 2018 1 (6 min 17 sec)

26inch quasar 9 may 2018 2 (4 min 28 sec)
Last edited by davereap; May 09, 2018 at 11:20 PM.
May 09, 2018, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookit
+1 to that.

I maidened my version of Dave's DeltaVee this weekend and it flew beautifully (although just not fast enough for you Andy ).

It was one of those moments I had to comment to my FB having a go it was time to land to rest the battery.
Is that a fully miter cut and sanded leading edge? Love it!
May 09, 2018, 12:42 PM
It seemed like a good idea!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRexAlot
Is that a fully miter cut and sanded leading edge? Love it!
Thanks very much.

Absolutely, I even blended the profile on the nose.

Using a balsa leading edge on a KFm wing makes for a really rigid build (especially if you then laminate as well) as well as adding a nice aerodynamic profile.

Win, win

Quick Reply