** Kline-Fogleman (KFm) Airfoils - Building/Flying Discussion ** - Page 640 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 03, 2018, 11:23 AM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaffeldt
Hi Jack, when you are talking about filament tape is that the same stuff that they use to sheeting rocking. You know .... in the corners and doing the butt joints ?
It is the off white colored tape with strands of nylon or fibreglass in it, shiny on one side and sticky on the other. It is used on packages for the most part to keep them from busting open. It comes in a narrow (3/4"?) width and a 2" or so width. It will bond well with the GG and, put on flat, it resists being bent or curved.

https://www.uline.com/BL_322/3M-8932...Strapping-Tape

There is a similar material used for binding bundles that is not shiny or adhesive and that is used for bundling things and wrapping around cartons, it is this stuff:

https://www.uline.com/Grp_56/Poly-Strapping

That also works well when added between bonded layers. And if you go to places like Home Depot or Lowes you can sometimes find it in the trash for free!

Jack
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2018, 11:39 AM
scratchbuilder
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1
"this video is unavailable"
Should work now.
Jan 03, 2018, 12:13 PM
It seemed like a good idea!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B.
Should work now.
Awesome models and flying as per usual Thomas, cracking work.
Jan 03, 2018, 04:32 PM
flyin' fool
Quote:
Anyone interested in testing it before publishing may send me a PM.
Testing not needed, saw the vid.
Jan 03, 2018, 04:56 PM
skumgummi dave
Thomas B.

Very cute little combat planes. Please let us know when the plans are available.

Thanks, Dave-
Jan 03, 2018, 05:27 PM
looking up, down under
Quote:
Should work now.
great !

i recognized your pilots from the jupiter shrimp (which i also love, and will hopefully eventually make)

Jan 03, 2018, 09:50 PM
"long stretch of water..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1
great !

i recognized your pilots from the jupiter shrimp (which i also love, and will hopefully eventually make)

Brilliant flyer is the Shrimp. 🍤. And so much fun on the water. We were giggling like a couple of kids when Jason maidened his last week.

Pat
Jan 05, 2018, 08:09 AM
pallet strapping....how to use it..... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-reinforcement
note Iron on laminating film can be used in a similar fashion...
laminating film was used on the fidgit below... there are no spars..

Here is the 20" fidgit3d on its first indoor session
Its a nicely aerobatic model.. flown at mid rates it was good enough for me..
The COG was in a slightly forward location..set at the 20% spot as per my previous drawings..

using a 15gm hobbyking motor on 2s with an 8x4 cut to 7", there was plenty of power.. rolls are fast,loops are tight enough..

fidgit flight 3 cog nearly right (3 min 57 sec)

more videos are here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=211
Last edited by davereap; Jan 09, 2018 at 10:02 PM.
Jan 10, 2018, 10:29 PM
This started life as a 24" span kf2, very light with a 850 3s and 20g motor. It sat on a shelf for a while and got re built to this:

It got a kf4, a coroplast floor for the pack, a 1300 3s, and 24g 2300kv motor. Its a little more capable now. Just a little....

Kf4 Zephyr Greg006 flying wing (4 min 48 sec)
Jan 11, 2018, 02:40 AM
Nice setup... I just love the powered KF "V" wings ...KFm2 or KFm4 for their simplicity and smooth flying..

On any V wing , if you have problems on where to put the battery in order to get a good COG , try using a nose extension ..
I add a 3" extension.. like so... I call this shape a DeltaV .. I like this shape, its just that bit different..
Flight characteristics dont change...
here is one of mine..using a typical 2204-2300 quad motor with a 6x4 prop on a 3s lipo
DeltaV wing 26inch 1st sept2016 (11 min 41 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Jan 12, 2018 at 01:07 AM.
Jan 11, 2018, 12:14 PM
Thanks, that was the first time I setup a kf4, I dont know what took me so long. Yes a very smooth flyer.
Jan 15, 2018, 12:46 PM
Thanks very much to Dave For the Delta Vee design, here is my take on it.

Squared off the nose and swapped the splines for a pod.

800mm (ish) KFm4 wing (6mm Depron) using a 2205 2300kv motor, 6045 prop, 1000mah 3s and a 30amp esc with 2 9g metal gear servos.

I still have not had a chance to fly it yet but it looks and feels right.

So thanks again Dave, I have a few others of your designs part way through . So many plans and so little time .
Jan 15, 2018, 01:15 PM
Nice design Dave and nice application Hookit this reminds me of the Stryker which is a nice flyer. I just picked up a sheet of coroplast that might have this designs name on it.

Its either this or what I have above (Zephyr clone). Unfortunately what I have above is assembled with hot glue and packing tape. It seems every time I fly it the trim is screwed up. I dont know why but it is off on the roll in either direction like the plane is warping or twisting depending on some outside factor like the temp or humidity. Once trimmed it is awesome though.
Jan 15, 2018, 01:44 PM
Thanks Gregco, unusually for me I did not cover this one with laminating film like I usually do. I also have not tried the pallet strapping yet either although I have use the iron on edging on wider spans (works really well, another of Daves prolific tips).

That said it is a very stiff wing because of the balsa leading edge. Normally with leading edge stock and laminating film you get a really stiff wing with a KFm4 plan.

One of the many things I love about KFm's, speed of build, strength and stability. I just use Evo Stick rapid pva for laminating the steps and it holds really well.

I have 11 KFm scratch builds ready to fly more than half yet to maiden, I know that with my very low amount of stick time I should concentrate on just one model but it cant help building. What th our weather here in the UK I get more chances to build than fly!
Jan 15, 2018, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookit
Thanks Gregco, unusually for me I did not cover this one with laminating film like I usually do. I also have not tried the pallet strapping yet either although I have use the iron on edging on wider spans (works really well, another of Daves prolific tips).

That said it is a very stiff wing because of the balsa leading edge. Normally with leading edge stock and laminating film you get a really stiff wing with a KFm4 plan.

One of the many things I love about KFm's, speed of build, strength and stability. I just use Evo Stick rapid pva for laminating the steps and it holds really well.

I have 11 KFm scratch builds ready to fly more than half yet to maiden, I know that with my very low amount of stick time I should concentrate on just one model but it cant help building. What th our weather here in the UK I get more chances to build than fly!

Hookit... You have just put a big smile on my face. Thank you for that.

Quick Reply