** Kline-Fogleman (KFm) Airfoils - Building/Flying Discussion ** - Page 627 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 08, 2017, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
Has anyone noticed that HK are using the KFm-2 for there Glue-N-Go FW190 and Hellcat. I do hope Dick is receiving commission
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/fw190-pp-kit.html
Andy
Thanks, Andy. That was a bit of a surprise.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2017, 05:27 PM
Jack
Go get 'em Dick! Make them pay!

Image is from the Files tab at HK, download the manual to see them all...

I did not see any mention of KF at all...

Jack
Oct 08, 2017, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
Go get 'em Dick! Make them pay!

Image is from the Files tab at HK, download the manual to see them all...

I did not see any mention of KF at all...

Jack
Jack.... this flies in the face of personal gain, but my satisfaction comes from introducing an aerodynamic concept that gets more people into this great hobby. The KF concept is best utilized as a power airfoil for greater control, strength and stability. Gliding is not it’s strength because it needs thrust in order to engage and trap a vortex. I am just very pleased with the way things have turned out with a big thanks to Tony 65X55. The members of the RC community are a great bunch of people who freely share their expertise to the world. They are highly creative and imaginative. I feel lucky to have played a part in this whole KF experience.
Oct 09, 2017, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Well, if nothing is cast in stone, can we then forgot all we know about the KF airfoil? Then how was this arrived at?

Looking forward to test result. Although, it would have to be a direct comparison.
.................................................. ..........

LOL........I don't think I will/can forget the basic guides... LOL ... even if I forget most other things as I get older..

On a direct comparison.. I am not that good a flier to be able to notice the small differences in the way a model flies ...KF 's placed between 30% and 50% ..
to me they all fly perfectly well

I can however tell the difference between models with flat plate wings, no KF, and those with a KF...

with luck I will get some video for you of the new EZfly this Thursday eve..
Oct 09, 2017, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
Has anyone noticed that HK are using the KFm-2 for there Glue-N-Go FW190 and Hellcat. I do hope Dick is receiving commission
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/fw190-pp-kit.html
Andy
nice of them to provide some top view coloured pics.. lol... and some build manuals..... If they are not KF they soon can be..

It wont take long in sketchup to copy their designs... a bit of payback for them pinching other peoples models..
Last edited by davereap; Oct 09, 2017 at 02:42 AM.
Oct 09, 2017, 02:20 AM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeroo
Jack.... this flies in the face of personal gain...
I know it Dick, I was joking about it all and forgot to add one of the smiley faces...

Were it not for you, many of us would be taking a lot less fun out of this hobby and might not even be here at all!

Thank you again!

Jack
Oct 09, 2017, 02:49 AM
It seemed like a good idea!!!!
LOL I did take a screen shot of the FW190D with something similar in mind.

My utmost and heartfelt thanks goes to those on this thread especially to Dick .

I have only been trying to fly fixed wing for around 3 years and all my scratch builds have been a KFm of one sort or another (mostly KFm2 or KFm4).

All of the 20+ models that I have thrown together have flown really well (out of the ones that survived the launch ) and I have not really followed any particular plans. Indeed some of which look like they should never have flown (particularly the one that evolved through 5 versions ).

I have no doubt that the fact they flew so well was down to the KFm wings, so again many, many thanks.

Craig
Oct 09, 2017, 03:31 AM
looking up, down under
from my perusal only the fw and the grumman have kf foils

the jets are just payback

thanks
Oct 09, 2017, 05:02 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
"Turnabout is fair play !!! “
Oct 09, 2017, 05:38 AM
Any plane can have a KF added.. the simplest option being a top step KFm2.. but If you are going to make a bigger model then a thicker wing KFm4 might be a better choice, the wing will be stronger
I tend to put a KF on all my powered foam models,
there are however a couple of exceptions... these being gliders and indoor light weights...
Oct 09, 2017, 05:39 AM
Reap the wild wind
For those interested in snazzy printed warbirds have a look here. Just add KF step as you please
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nd-more-Part-2
The idea is to print out the design and apply to foamboard (without paper) or depron to achieve a good looking profile model. Ideal if you want to scratch build but will be heavier than HK's offerings which are no doubt printed directly onto the foam
Andy
Oct 09, 2017, 06:39 AM
It seemed like a good idea!!!!
Andy, the HK models would weigh in about the same as they are foam board rather than straight foam.

Dave, way ahead of you, the jets that I had taken images for would be scaled and have KFm goodness added to the recipe (if I ever get round that far into my to build list).

I have most of the stuff I need to do the builds, just not the time .
Oct 09, 2017, 08:33 AM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Any plane can have a KF added...<snip>..
Amen to that!

And look at how ignorant the designer of that kit was. The bottom of the wing has a slot for a CF rod and it is has been added and is simply left open. So it is no more than a narrow and easily broken line of strength.

We would have been most likely to have closed both sides of that wing with 50% steps and made it a KFm4. And we would have the step foam strips full contact glued and make the plane much more resistant to abuse.

And if we had the right thicknesses of foam the wing could be no thicker than it is as seen there. We all know that KFm4 steps do not need to be as high to work well and we know that it can make for a fast and low drag flying without sacrificing much or any of the low speed flying qualities and inherent stability of the KFm4.

Jack
Oct 09, 2017, 09:20 AM
UP!
Hey guys,

I have drawn some vintage planes with KFM profile, but no time to build them.
I place the files right here, just for playing around with the free Sketchup version, or someone has fun to build them.

Cheers Tom
Oct 15, 2017, 03:27 PM
Here is a FW190 that's been revised..
Ive made large changes away from the HK build.. theirs was a much heavier build..and larger.. I just didn't like it..
Ive gone lighter and more towards a typical 3D indoor build.. using 8mm EPP..
Control surfaces are enlarged, and its built in a similar fashion to leadfeathers EPPyak55 type of build..
Because of the narrow Fuz , to stop too much flexibility Ive gone for a full fuz , horizontal doubler.. this will add weight..
For lightness the model can be made with just a single horizontal layer comprising 4 parts ...forward nose/wing/rear fuz/ tailplane..
With a single layer more reinforcement will be required.. or with 5mm EPP, even more reinforcement will be required..
Last edited by davereap; Oct 15, 2017 at 03:41 PM.