** Kline-Fogleman (KFm) Airfoils - Building/Flying Discussion ** - Page 606 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 03, 2017, 02:19 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Thanks guys, That plane has conventional ailerons and the canard is an all-moving elevator.

I prob'ly didn't need to double those props. I was concerned to keep the diameter small because of clearance.

to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2017, 02:43 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
SO..........Guys is anyone keen on the "Canard Drone" (for lack of a better description) on post #9062 ??
May 14, 2017, 05:42 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Well, sure … !!!
May 14, 2017, 05:52 AM
..... you twisted my arm....... it's on the list.!....
May 18, 2017, 11:11 AM
Here are some interesting test results from the 2017 San Diego Science Fair. Ken Lew did the testing....

https://www.ljcds.org/page/news-detail-?pk=1105391

https://bbk12e1-cdn.myschoolcdn.com/...isc_183124.pdf

Based on my research on the Kline-Fogleman wing, I believe this wing will perform better than the standard airfoil wing because of it’s increased lift capability at low speeds.
The objective of this project will be to build a prototype airfoil to compare the lift capabilities between the Kline-Fogleman vs Standard airfoil. The Kline-Fogleman design have been introduced over 50 years ago but was not implemented due to lower speed applications in aviation. With recent popularity of drones, the performance characteristics of the Kline-Fogleman willed be reviewed to see if there’s improvements can be made with existing airfoils.
An adjustable proto type can be used to test both the Standard and Kline-Fogleman (KF) design since the KF airfoil is basically a subset of the standard airfoil. The top rear section of the wing is removed to create a step down version of the Kline-Fogleman. The design can be created with simple available 3D design CAD programs and 3D printed on a commercial printer. I have used the online program Tinker CAD to create the frames of both wing designs and 3D printed the frames with holes to support pressure tubes. In addition to the test wings, we will need a platform to measure pressure so that we can see lift performance (measured in PSI). The test procedure will be to measure the pressure reading at 5 points on the top of the surface and 5 points on the bottom of the surface with the airfoils basically in the horizontal position (zero degree angle of attack). I have constructed a platform that will hold 6 manometers (5 points + one extra to record atmospheric pressure) and this will be measured at different airspeeds using an automobile. Normally, this would be done in a wind-tunnel for better control of conditions but this can be done easily by making the test platform mobile. In addition, I was able to design a frame that will mount the airfoil on top of the pressure test platform.
Finding the optimum speed is the next step and I have used the standard airfoil to determine the highest pressure readings or lift. Driving the test platform from 0-70 mph on a level track, I found the lift is maximixed at 55 mph. I have recorded the data for each point on the wing(s) for a total of 20 trials and charted the average pressure.
The readings with the highest average pressure difference between top and bottom of the airfoil will indicate which airfoil preforms the best. The data shows that the Kline-Fogleman airfoil outperforms the standard airfoil under low speeds.
Last edited by Dickeroo; May 18, 2017 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Additional info
May 18, 2017, 04:13 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Yes, but it is Lift to Drag ratio that is important.
This is incomplete work.
May 18, 2017, 04:28 PM
But positive work, Whiskers.
May 18, 2017, 06:22 PM
Having looked at the way the test wing was mounted in the roof of a car I can not accept this as positive work.
May 18, 2017, 09:50 PM

For heaven's sake

lighten up and give the kid a break.
May 18, 2017, 10:43 PM
I would be whooping with joy, long and loud, if the kid had come up with a valid method and useful results.

Sadly, he didn't.

For some of us, good science is not a trivial pursuit.
Last edited by Whiskers; May 18, 2017 at 10:50 PM.
May 19, 2017, 01:37 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kline%...gleman_airfoil
May 19, 2017, 05:21 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
No matter the science , we did our KF testing the old School way …. by Flying !!! A LOT of flying !!! Works for me … !!!
May 19, 2017, 06:10 AM
An me!!
May 20, 2017, 11:35 AM
Reap the wild wind

New scratch build. It's been a while!

A few of my friends own the mental Ritewing Mini Drak and there is talk of a micro version coming at some point. Mr Klick isn;'t known for selling budget models so I thought have have a go at making my own.
She spans 665mm and is 395mm from nose to fuselage end. It's a KFm-2 just using 3mm for the tapered top step. The main fins are 6mm depron and the small tip fins are made from 2 pieces of black correx style material (Antinox from B&Q) cut at 90 degs to each over for toughness. The wings has a single 6x1 mm carbon flat spare with a couple of carbon flats to beef up the front end and some in the elevons The nose was carved out of an EPP flying wing bed that the cores came in. Figured this might provide a bit more bounce.
I'm running a Blue Wonder 3000kv motor at the business end, 30 amp Turnigy esc and she'll balance with anything from a 800-1000 mAh 3s pack. A couple of Emax 9g servos take care of the flappy things. Not yet flown and might add some NACA ducts either side of the fuse. The fuselage end was left open.
Will post video once the weather co-operates.
Andy