** Kline-Fogleman (KFm) Airfoils - Building/Flying Discussion ** - Page 604 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 16, 2017, 01:31 AM
flyin' fool
Thomas, Thomas, Thomas! Really now! How do you expect me to focus on what I'm trying to finish up when you keep feeding me these gems?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2017, 12:37 PM
scratchbuilder
Yes, I have that focus problem ,too. But don't worry, this will take some time - this is the first prototype., and I have to make the Fokker and Sopwith opponents before there will be a plan...
Apr 17, 2017, 01:43 PM
skumgummi dave
Thomas:

So happy to hear that there will be a plan...

Dave-
Apr 17, 2017, 08:19 PM
flyin' fool
Good, we can all sleep tonight.
Apr 25, 2017, 07:58 PM
Arizona Rim Country

Interesting article on a new drone design

OK this is not exactly on RC Drones .... however .... it might spur a brain cell into firing

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...ificing-drones
Apr 25, 2017, 08:14 PM
Out Standing In The Field
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaffeldt
OK this is not exactly on RC Drones .... however .... it might spur a brain cell into firing

Okay, looks like fun, but it needs an EDF, and where the heck would the KFM layers and CG be?
Apr 25, 2017, 08:27 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaffeldt

Quite interesting, but how is this related to building and flying KFm type aircraft?
Apr 26, 2017, 06:25 AM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
Okay, looks like fun, but it needs an EDF, and where the heck would the KFM layers and CG be?
I'd try the KFm4 with steps top and bottom at 50% or so, like where the lines are added to the image. And I'll bet it will fly too!

But EDF's are not part of my life, I'd go with a prop like the Harop has now.

Jack
Apr 26, 2017, 08:46 AM
The Harop Harpy2 has a 2 bladed pusher prop for flight the rockets just jettison it out of it's container. That would make an interesting project. The front canards are up above the wing to help in control and stability. even the center delta section could be 50% stepped.
Apr 26, 2017, 09:17 AM
Out Standing In The Field
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
I'd try the KFm4 with steps top and bottom at 50% or so, like where the lines are added to the image. And I'll bet it will fly too!

But EDF's are not part of my life, I'd go with a prop like the Harop has now.

Jack
Sounds like a plan!
I don't have any EDFs, either. But a pair of 12 blade units would sound so good (and not cut off your fingers at launch )!
Apr 26, 2017, 10:27 AM
Warbirds Lover
why to use an EDF ?
As the original seems to be a pusher prop... use a standard brushless and a prop set as a pusher ;-)

just my two sents
Apr 26, 2017, 10:40 AM
Jack
Another set of steps on the Delta section will probably make it even better. If that flew with 50 pounds or so of explosives in it once the rocket pack got it in the air and flying it should do fine without the rocket assist as a model and a lot lighter.

Jack
Apr 30, 2017, 02:33 AM
here are some rough lines, for the shape, drawn for a prop in slot setup at 36" span.. suited for a 150W setup..
I couldn't find a decent top view so proportions maybe off a fair bit..
Find me a top view and I can do a better job on it
Apr 30, 2017, 07:28 AM
Jack
Nice job on that Dave, you don't waste any time!

A google for "harop specs" will produce a lot of into on the plane and other planes of the same type (Harpy for example, an earlier smaller version) including some good specs but still did not find a good plan view or top view.

https://www.google.com/#q=harop+specs

This link produced a 120 page document that is like a gold mine of info for those that are really interested in aerodynamic specs and calculations. On pages 19-23 or so of the 120 pages there is more info on the Harop. Note that the power plant is a 37HP Wankel motor, that explains the shape of the motor housing...

http://tinyurl.com/kvy5kzx

Jack
Apr 30, 2017, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
here are some rough lines, for the shape, drawn for a prop in slot setup at 36" span.. suited for a 150W setup..
I couldn't find a decent top view so proportions maybe off a fair bit..
Find me a top view and I can do a better job on it
I think you need to extend the center delta part a little bit. Where you have that 11.5 measurement line, make it just a bit longer and maybe a bit wider to keep the same wing angle.
I keep switching between that picture and your plan and that part seems to be out off proportion.
On the picture it seems that you can fit the 2 wing tips inside the middle delta so i think it needs to to be wider but longer too because your angles look right like this.
Nice job so far! This is such a nice aircraft, might build one with edf in the future.

-wess