This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 12, 2016, 01:27 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Absolutely beautiful build Jürgen Be, looks like you stitched it together mate

Lockey
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2016, 02:33 AM
flyin' fool
I adjust the shaft length so the prop adapter is tight against the shoulder on the motor. That helps negate bent shafts. I use this on both 'bolt on' and wobblies.
Dec 12, 2016, 02:44 AM
It seemed like a good idea!!!!
Thanks very much for the comments and the feedback.

Info on the Condor.

No plans available as I haven't drawn any up, it took shape as I cut the foam. Now it is back together I need to draw some.

6mm Depron
1012 mm Span
300 mm Root Cord
200 mm Tip Cord (rounded tips)
KFm steps at 45% and 65%
18 mm Balsa leading edge
800 mm Fuselage
3 x 9g TowerPro servos
6ch Lemon RX
30amp ESC (yellow one from Bang Good)
2830 1300kv DYS motor, 201 watts @ 27 amps, 10x5 Apc prop (little high on amps for the ESC but I don't push full throttle often)
2200 mah Zippy Compact 3S 40c
AUW 692 grams, 0.29 watts per gram, 1065 grams static thrust, thrust ratio 1.54:1

This is the second trainer I have built and it has impeccable manners, needed virtually no trimming and flew like I had always wanted a plane to fly. Nice and gentle for me to learn to fly with but loads of power and nice loops and rolls (a bit barrely) for better pilots. I gave the TX to a flying buddy who got me into scratch build planks and practically had to wrestle the sticks back from him (he flew out 2 packs ).

Thanks for the videos I have watched them before from following these threads, the prop adapter was thrown on just to check the prop rotation. I usually fly with a prop saver with O rings but I have just got a load of Therabands to try instead but I do take the point about the shaft, it is ludicrously long.
Dec 12, 2016, 03:37 AM
Arizona Rim Country
Regarding VLC. I use it as a media player and like it, but I am not familiar with trying to use it as a video editor. Is there another version of it for editing ?
Dec 12, 2016, 04:39 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
'Movie maker' in windows programs is what I use.
Dec 12, 2016, 05:40 AM
watch your head
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaffeldt View Post
... Is there another version of it for editing ?
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/de/...davinciresolve

you need a good hardware but I like it.
Dec 12, 2016, 07:03 AM
Jack
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaffeldt View Post
Regarding VLC. I use it as a media player and like it, but I am not familiar with trying to use it as a video editor. Is there another version of it for editing ?
You're right, it was AVIdemux that I used. It has been some time and I don't have installed under Linux yet but will as soon as I need it again. And it is freeware and does Windows too:

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

Jack (a Mint Linux 18 64-bit user who hopes he will never need or use Windows again...)
Dec 12, 2016, 08:08 AM
Warbirds Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
I must admitt that some of my vids are more for my flying buddies and my own enjoyment especially where there are a number of flying "incidents" and special "landings"
Andy
May be a bit long video (on the paper) but nice and interesting : it allowed me to discover how a good flyer is the Pluto Flying wing. Impressive speed and agility !

When i edit a video i also make it to enjoy the friends that was flying with me and my videos are often longuer than 2-3 minutes too.... (mostly for the same reasons as Andy's and also because i always try to find a free sound track to put with the images to give them a bit more of punch.
i also make my cuts and editing regarding the piece of music - Generaly i have the take off at the start of the main theme and the landing at the end of the song.

I will try to experiment with shorter vids as recommanded by Franck.
(may be i will have to make my own sound track so... )

Congratulations anyway for that Pluto and that looonnng footage (that i watched from the start to the end) Andy !
Dec 12, 2016, 09:08 AM
Arizona Rim Country
Avdiemux - Thanks - I'll give it a try !
Dec 12, 2016, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
Absolutely beautiful build Jürgen Be, looks like you stitched it together mate

Lockey
Thanks Lockey,

the stitched look is made with a tool wich is normally used by tailors, don`t know how it`s called in english...
With this tool it is also possible to print / press some riveting into plasticparts like cockpit frames and others.

Jürgen
Dec 12, 2016, 10:08 AM
Reap the wild wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
May be a bit long video (on the paper) but nice and interesting : it allowed me to discover how a good flyer is the Pluto Flying wing. Impressive speed and agility !....
Congratulations anyway for that Pluto and that looonnng footage (that i watched from the start to the end) Andy !
Thanks. Our slope sessions usually end up with some frantic action especially on that slope where the lift is usually stella but the rotar harsh. This means it's best suited to EPP models that bounce and so tend to get flown like you stole them
My MPX Mini Solius chuck glider conversion also had an outing on that day but got picked on by those nasty bigger models
I use WMM which I find is easy to use unless you are attempting to bring 3 different cameras footage together. Then it's a bit of a pain
Andy
Dec 13, 2016, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookit View Post
Take my KFm3 Condor, third rebuild
Very nice, i like your Condor! How much aileron differential did you dial in? Im experimenting with my KFm2 trainer (bank and yank, no rudder) and use 20% right now. If i lower it to 15 % i can see a lot of adverse yaw coming in (i use the S1 pot on my taranis to adjust the differential via a global variable).

If i understand it right, adverse yaw depends on the aoirfoil, on the current angle of attack and the air speed? If this is right, then avoiding it with aileron differentiation will always be some kind of compromise, since aoa and speed are variable of course. Are there rules of thumbs for differential on KFms ? Just curious.

Chris
Last edited by mrholon; Dec 13, 2016 at 02:07 PM.
Dec 13, 2016, 03:50 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Mr holon, my understanding of adverse yaw is.... the vertical is of a size that is only just working while flying straight. Then you go to turn with the aileron and this creates drag at the wing tip ( on the low tip- turning left - left wing lower) this pulls against the vertical stabilizer giving you adverse yaw. To fix this you could lengthen the rear of the fuselage, giving you a stronger 'momentum arm' or make the vertical stabilizer larger.......
Looking at you pic, I see a big high lift wing on a short fuse with a small vertical. All this together will give you adverse yaw.......
Dec 13, 2016, 04:18 PM
flyin' fool
Short coupled designs are prone to it.
Dec 13, 2016, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet View Post
Mr holon, my understanding of adverse yaw is.... the vertical is of a size that is only just working while flying straight. Then you go to turn with the aileron and this creates drag at the wing tip ( on the low tip- turning left - left wing lower) this pulls against the vertical stabilizer giving you adverse yaw. To fix this you could lengthen the rear of the fuselage, giving you a stronger 'momentum arm' or make the vertical stabilizer larger.......
Looking at you pic, I see a big high lift wing on a short fuse with a small vertical. All this together will give you adverse yaw.......
Thanks Duke, good point! Didn't think about the vertical stabilizer an how its size and distance affects adverse yaw. You are perfectly right,i think. And applying rudder (if you have one ) for a coordinated turn exactly increases this moment to counteract adverse yaw as needed.

My turns look good with 20% differential (despite short fuselage and small vertical), though. Hope to put up a fligth video when my runcam ist here (and the weather ist fine)

Quick Reply