This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 17, 2015, 03:09 PM
here's my KFm2 73" B-17
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2015, 03:54 PM
Reap the wild wind
I'm not sure your model has enough power One motor and four dummies?
We need a video of that beast flying please
Andy
Mar 17, 2015, 04:06 PM
That photo looks odd. No control surface deflection at all?
Mar 17, 2015, 04:11 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Looks photo-shopped, IMHO
Mar 17, 2015, 04:37 PM
Control surfaces were set to neutral for the hand launch…
Mar 17, 2015, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Looks photo-shopped, IMHO
That's what I thought.
Mar 17, 2015, 05:21 PM
Reap the wild wind
Well, here's one on his posts
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=28
Andy
Mar 17, 2015, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
Wow! Obviously he can do it. The photo still looks odd. Perhaps a trick of the light or the optics.
Mar 17, 2015, 05:37 PM
Reap the wild wind
Here's a video of one of his un-painted B-17 models
fpv b17 maiden at the park (4 min 34 sec)

Andy
Mar 17, 2015, 05:49 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
Here's a video of one of his un-painted B-17 models
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgjCgLA_avg
Andy
That shows what you can get away with re airfoil sections (?) on models.
He's just slapped slabs of foam together and not even contoured the leading edge.
Looks horrible... Flies OK.
Mar 17, 2015, 06:40 PM
Oh well ......least he can fly. Sometimes we're eger to get in the air. ....or some of us are better flier than builders
Mar 17, 2015, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
That shows what you can get away with re airfoil sections (?) on models.
He's just slapped slabs of foam together and not even contoured the leading edge.
Looks horrible... Flies OK.
That's kinda harsh. I think it's kool. Besides, apparently he's in N. Texas, which means he's close to Oklahoma, which means that he's a fine, skillful fellow.
Mar 17, 2015, 07:05 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Oh well ......least he can fly. Sometimes we're eger to get in the air. ....or some of us are better flier than builders
That was not a criticism. It was an observation on how different "our world" is to the "full size world."
Put that section on a real B-17 and it would become a strictly land based vehicle.
But as we can see in that video it works OK at model size.
Mar 18, 2015, 02:44 AM
go back a couple of years and check out cybernaughts builds , bless him, he could only get the cheap thick slabs of builders polystyrene so although he made some quite crude models, a lot flew well..

the odd thing on that photo is the model being well lit, and nicely focused, too often we get poor flight shots, blurred and dark against the sky..
you only have to look how poor some of my videos are lit , going from dark to light and back again, the sun always seems to be in the place I want to fly...lol.. and my camera man is c***...

I like the idea of one motor for a multi, the correct number of motors will always be nicer, but that method is easy and saves a lot of problems, once flying you wont really pick up on it too much..
4bangen has been making some BIG foam models... combat profile bombers ...lol.. another of his ideas.. good for him..
Last edited by davereap; Mar 18, 2015 at 03:03 AM.
Mar 18, 2015, 05:08 AM
I know where you are coming from whiskers, I wasn't criticising either, "what ever floats your boat", we would all do the same built differently, Lots of others do "fit and finish" way better than me. I have to push myself to finish a build as good as my available materials allow every time. I find my enthusiasm dropping as soon as the successful maidens over, then I have to push to get her as pretty as I can.

BTW... I'm working on a frame now, based on a parrot shape. KFM2. Ever see a lorikeet cursing low through the trees and buildings at break neck speed? awesome!.. Will be running a FF motor on 4s with 35amp ESC and 5x5 prop! about 750/800mm W/S...

Quick Reply